Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Swimming Pool - Solar Heating

Swimming Pool - Solar Heating

Old Jul 20th 2007, 5:54 am
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of
Default Swimming Pool - Solar Heating

Which is the best method?

I'm currently looking at these chaps www.zane.com.au
Old Jul 20th 2007, 5:59 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swimming Pool - Solar Heating

I think they all work that way, black plastic pipes on the roof.

Originally Posted by Dom the Pom

Old Jul 20th 2007, 8:11 am
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by themerlin
I think they all work that way, black plastic pipes on the roof.
Some are better than others apparently. For example, some have pipes encased in glass just off the roof, whereas others are pads that actually sit on your tiles.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 8:59 am

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Ours just looks like black pipe, seems to work well though

Some are better than others apparently. For example, some have pipes encased in glass just off the roof, whereas others are pads that actually sit on your tiles.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 9:01 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Can't comment on the product, but I know the bloke who runs Zane. Top man who is the President of my son's Footy club.

So if a personal reference is worth anything, the man behind the product is OK.

Jules x
Old Jul 20th 2007, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Passionate Pom will become famous soon enoughPassionate Pom will become famous soon enough

We have the black pipework on the roof. Not that its doing much down here in Adelaide.
We've been told that its good to have but a good solar blanket is better as it will keep your pool at a good temp rather than trying to keep adding warm water. I'll let you know when its warm enough to get in.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:00 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

It would be great if the pool would get above 14c in the day at the moment. Sure the kids would be in if it was a few degrees more. Appears to gain 2c during the day.

Do blankets keep the heat in enough to allow it to build over a few days ?
Old Jul 20th 2007, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Passionate Pom will become famous soon enoughPassionate Pom will become famous soon enough

I believe so Datamile. It should hold the heat in and warm it up abit aswell.We only had our pool put in 2 months ago so haven't got our cover on yet.Just finished our pool fencing now i have to start paving.:curse:By then it will be time for the summer and the cover can go on as the fun begins!!!
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 5:31 am
Banned

Originally Posted by julesandco
Can't comment on the product, but I know the bloke who runs Zane. Top man who is the President of my son's Footy club.

So if a personal reference is worth anything, the man behind the product is OK.

Jules x
Thanks Jules.

Don't suppose you could PM me his details?
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Well we have GAS (pha na pha na ) and it's just fabulous! If the sun is shining the children are in the pool, even in the 'winter'. They do wear wetsuits for when they get out and are running about though. You just have to think slightly in advance and remember to turn the heater on.

A big vote if you have children that will use the pool regularly.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 6:31 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Well we have GAS (pha na pha na ) and it's just fabulous! If the sun is shining the children are in the pool, even in the 'winter'. They do wear wetsuits for when they get out and are running about though. You just have to think slightly in advance and remember to turn the heater on.

Originally Posted by themerlin
Ours just looks like black pipe, seems to work well though
But do they make it warm enough to swim this time of year?
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 6:40 am
Banned

Originally Posted by The Jones Family

Gas is ridiculously expensive. And if your kids wear wetsuits in there, you may as well have the pool solar heated, and save a few thousand dollars a year.

From what I can see, a good solar system will comfortably give around 7 1/2 months a year swimming (in Perth). So this is good enough for me.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 6:41 am
Banned

Originally Posted by annqldau
A gas system will Ann because you just set the pool to the temperature you want.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 12:19 am

Well depends how warm you like the water We use it till about the end of May on a good year, but my OH won't go into the water if it falls below 28.

So it will adds a few months swimming each year, I think you can swim longer if you have a thermal cover because most of the heat is lost over night.

But I did see someone swimming in an unheated pool on Saturday, I think they where from NZ though

Originally Posted by annqldau
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 1:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We briefly thought about gas but decided it was too expensive and too much phaff. Just out of interest, how long does it take to heat up when the outside temp is in the 18 - 22 degree span and how much gas do you use in a year.

We haven't put any heating in yet although the pipes are there, we just can't decide what would be best. Our hot water is solar powered and we have to put the electric pump on quite a few night in winter because the low angle of the sun hasn't done it's job. Haven't got a blanket either, I like looking at the water too much

I did see something at a house and garden show but I didn't get the details. I think it was some sort of turbine thing that used the air temp to make the water in pipes hotter but as you can tell I am fairly brainless about such stuff and the OH was bored by that point and wanted to go home

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.