Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Swimming pool nightmare ...

Swimming pool nightmare ...

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swimming pool nightmare ...

Originally Posted by viviennef
My husband could do it but he said that its too much like hardwork - we want a concrete one and he reckons, its not worth the stress for what you save. better get someone who does it all the time.

The quotes are blowing my mind though, like whats the difference in 450mm pebblecrete and 400mm rollover

Vivienne
About 50mm . . . or 2 inches in old money.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 2:21 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

I think this thread has slightly gone off on a tangent

Sorry Sheila

Any developments with your pool?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

Sheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura aboutSheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura aboutSheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura about

Hi all, well we are gradually getting things sorted. The company are going to re fill the shallow end some sort of special concrete onto the shell to make it higher. We are sceptical but company have assured us it will be fine and won't cost us! So, basically we still have a concrete shell and won't be swimming for at least another month, fed up with it all now but hopefully all finished soon! Nat
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sheilas Wheels
Hi all, well we are gradually getting things sorted. The company are going to re fill the shallow end some sort of special concrete onto the shell to make it higher. We are sceptical but company have assured us it will be fine and won't cost us! So, basically we still have a concrete shell and won't be swimming for at least another month, fed up with it all now but hopefully all finished soon! Nat
"special concrete"??? What you mean concrete that sticks to previously laid concrete? I can see you having problems with this addition in the future...
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:29 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sheilas Wheels
"special concrete"

You could have left it and lowered the water level to suit, then filled it up some more once the kids are bigger????
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:29 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I would definitely be discussing this with the BSA and registering your concern.

Vivienne
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Holbrob is an unknown quantity at this point

Could you not just pump more water into one end and make it shallower? You would be ok to water ski as well!!

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MarkMC
"special concrete"

You could have left it and lowered the water level to suit, then filled it up some more once the kids are bigger????

Dont think the pump would work then...
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 2:06 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheDangerousQuietOne
"special concrete"??? What you mean concrete that sticks to previously laid concrete? I can see you having problems with this addition in the future...
I don't think you should assume that this will cause probs in the future....poor Nat will be having a nervous breakdown

I would get it checked out though
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 7:19 pm

Since pools cost so much I would get the BSA or another pool guy to assess whether it will make a difference. That would put my mind at rest more, it doesnt hurt to ask.

We do slabs and footings and wouldnt just put more concrete on top - there may be such a thing but I am not sure of a product that adheres to existing concrete. Unless its some kind of second shell or has some joining method or maybe its like a second shell inside the first one - that has the full thickness and size required for the pool

So the first shell is kind of ignored then a full 150mm thick shell was put on second giving full strength. with reinforcing etc

With footings you cant do it anyway. Sometimes we put another by the side of a first and then just ignore the original.

So just for that reason I would check it out and hopefully it will turn out ok. the pool company should know hopefully what they were doing.

PLease let us know how it went, I would be really interested to know if this is ok - any builders on the board?

Vivienne
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Sheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura aboutSheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura aboutSheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura about

After lengthy chats with OH we have decided to just leave it at the depth it is! Not really happy but recon with will be the safest bet (structually) - as you have all said kids will grow up and they can all swim now anyway. Just bit pi**ed off that the arrogant builder is getting away with it but just want it finished now! Thanks for all your advise and support and will let you know when it is finally finished Nat
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:39 am

I think that is what I woudl do too.

I would still complain though whinger as I am

I would want some sort of compensation for sure - that final payment wouldnt be very fast either