Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Swimming pool nightmare ...

Swimming pool nightmare ...

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

Sheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura aboutSheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura aboutSheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura about
Default Swimming pool nightmare ...

Hi, we are having a pool built but at the moment having a bit of a nightmare! Basically we wanted two shallow ends of 1.2m going into a middle of 1.8m. The builders have dug 1.5m at each end which means my youngest wont even be able to touch the bottom!! They concreted it on 10th December and basically haven't been back but have sent us a whopping bill for the excavation (double what was estimated) and added on a $655 builders margin ??which has never been mentioned. Builder keeps promising to come round to sort things out and look at concrete shell but never turns up!! Just looking for some advise as to where we stand legally??

Any info would be gratefuly appreciated! Cheers Nat
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of
Default Re: Swimming pool nightmare ...

Originally Posted by Sheilas Wheels
Hi, we are having a pool built but at the moment having a bit of a nightmare! Basically we wanted two shallow ends of 1.2m going into a middle of 1.8m. The builders have dug 1.5m at each end which means my youngest wont even be able to touch the bottom!! They concreted it on 10th December and basically haven't been back but have sent us a whopping bill for the excavation (double what was estimated) and added on a $655 builders margin ??which has never been mentioned. Builder keeps promising to come round to sort things out and look at concrete shell but never turns up!! Just looking for some advise as to where we stand legally??

Did you have a HIA Contract or similar? These things are normally done with a fairly watertight specification and contract - if it's in writing, you will have a leg to stand on. Did the pool contractor have all the necessary and relevant insurance? Did they give you a copy of the policy?

If not, I don't really know where you would stand.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Contact a lawyer and get him/her to contact them.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

dpwilliams is a jewel in the roughdpwilliams is a jewel in the roughdpwilliams is a jewel in the roughdpwilliams is a jewel in the rough

The office of fair trading will probably be able to give you some advice:

http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

Sheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura aboutSheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura aboutSheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for your advise. We did sign a water tight contract and they are members of SPASA but basically we just want to get the thing finished!

have made appointment with solicitor for Wednesday - hopefully get it all sorted - thanks again for advise.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 3:12 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Was reading your post and just wondered, how did you get on with it all?
Old Feb 21st 2009, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

We did sign a water tight contract and they are members of SPASA but basically we just want to get the thing finished!
A water-tight contract . . . for a swimming pool! . . . get it?! . . . a water-tight contract!! . . . . . . . . .

I'll get my coat . . .

Are you sure they weren't members of SPACAs?

Last edited by spartacus; Feb 21st 2009 at 8:58 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 10:04 pm
KLF
What Time is Love

KLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to behold

Never mind, your youngest will grow. Probably just in time for when it's all sorted.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 11:21 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

We are just about to get a pool done and I have heard so many horror stories. I am not sure how good spasa actually is as up here the builder with the worst reputation is quite high up and has won lots of awards. however they are really really low in ethics.

Its taking me forever to try to decide on an operator - its a minefield. I am negotiating at the moment to have fixed excavation, dirt removal etc costs.

Did you get yours sorted? did you call the BSA?

Vivienne
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:38 am

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
A water-tight contract . . . for a swimming pool! . . . get it?! . . . a water-tight contract!! . . . . . . . . .

I'll get my coat . . .

Are you sure they weren't members of SPACAs?
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by viviennef
We are just about to get a pool done and I have heard so many horror stories. I am not sure how good spasa actually is as up here the builder with the worst reputation is quite high up and has won lots of awards. however they are really really low in ethics.

Its taking me forever to try to decide on an operator - its a minefield. I am negotiating at the moment to have fixed excavation, dirt removal etc costs.

Did you get yours sorted? did you call the BSA?

Vivienne
My friend did it all on his own. Got the hole dug by one person (who had been recommended), got the brickwork and rendering done by somebody else, and had a liner pool put in. Turned out much cheaper that doing it with a single company, and he's very happy with the result.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:12 am
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

i deal with pool maintenance all the time and belive me the last thing you want is a liner type pool........

all the best plumb.....
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by the plumber
i deal with pool maintenance all the time and belive me the last thing you want is a liner type pool........

all the best plumb.....
I probably wouldn't go for that type either, but it's each to their own I suppose.

What problems have you come across with liner pools?
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:25 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband could do it but he said that its too much like hardwork - we want a concrete one and he reckons, its not worth the stress for what you save. better get someone who does it all the time.

The quotes are blowing my mind though, like whats the difference in 450mm pebblecrete and 400mm rollover

Vivienne
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 7:16 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viviennef
My husband could do it but he said that its too much like hardwork - we want a concrete one and he reckons, its not worth the stress for what you save. better get someone who does it all the time.

The quotes are blowing my mind though, like whats the difference in 450mm pebblecrete and 400mm rollover

Vivienne
We used porpoise pools in brisbane - they are excellent. Good price, good quality gear included ( the pump, barracuda etc are good makes) workmen were good and they kept in touch and did it all on time. v.Happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.