Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Sweet jesus - the inlaws are coming for six weeks

Sweet jesus - the inlaws are coming for six weeks

Old Jun 13th 2009, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sweet jesus - the inlaws are coming for six weeks

Always gets a laugh, and sympathy, from me! Do all people get to a certain age and then suddenly become the dreaded inlaws? Is there a genetic time-clock? Because many of us will be an inlaw at some point, and your offsprings's partner might be saying the same about you!

The inlaw thing has become an institution!

(I love mine. They stay for three months, do most of the housework and contribute).

Prior to meeting my wife's parents I thought that characters like Hyacinth Bouquet and Victor Meldrew were comedic inventions - so imagine my delight when I discovered they were real people.
Me too - reminds me of many an Expat...often seen making tracks back to the UK..

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jun 13th 2009 at 11:51 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 11:53 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Hutch, after the shit they caused last time, cant you put your foot down and say 'no'.

If my family had done that to us, no way would Mr PP allow them in the house and neither would I.

Do you really think they have learned their lesson?

Ive already told everyone I know that if they want to come and stay then fine, but we are 'not doing the guest house thing' but will help them find a rental.
All comes down to the wife and my son. The wife takes the "still family" line and my son is just excited to see his grandparents since he's too young to realise what wankers they are. We didn't think we'd see 'em again after last year's debacle, but here they are again, the veritable bad smell.

The missus was telling me today that they think we're going to go to the UK in 2010 on account of its their 40th wedding anniversary. That's so funny on so many levels I don't know where to begin - but let's just say that they're going to be disappointed.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:02 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Always gets a laugh, and sympathy, from me! Do all people get to a certain age and then suddenly become the dreaded inlaws? Is there a genetic time-clock? Because many of us will be an inlaw at some point, and your offsprings's partner might be saying the same about you!

The inlaw thing has become an institution!

(I love mine. They stay for three months, do most of the housework and contribute).

Me too - reminds me of many an Expat...often seen making tracks back to the UK..
A solution to having inlaws...

Don't get married in the first place!
Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
A solution to having inlaws...

Don't get married in the first place!
The thought had occurred to me...
Old Jun 14th 2009, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

wannabe in oz will become famous soon enough

fantastic reading guys. i'm not there yet and my mil has said she will out 3months after us for 3 months
Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

TakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
The missus was telling me today that they think we're going to go to the UK in 2010 on account of its their 40th wedding anniversary. That's so funny on so many levels I don't know where to begin - but let's just say that they're going to be disappointed.
I feel that pain - My in-laws want us to go to South Africa and have a combined silver/golden do. I've more chance of falling pregnant ...
Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Hutch;7655363
its your house mate you & your family set the ground rules, once that's done in a decent fashion there is NO reason why all of you should not have a very nice time, its give & take you know
Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:31 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
Hutch;7655363
its your house mate you & your family set the ground rules, once that's done in a decent fashion there is NO reason why all of you should not have a very nice time, its give & take you know
No mate. It's all take - on the parents-in-law's part. Rules have been laid down before and made no difference.

You know, I'm not exagerating when I describe them, or charactuering them in any way. And I've known them long enough (20 years now) to have a pretty solid idea of what the visit's going to be like.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:38 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

At least the give you hours of entertainment when they are not there.

I was in fits laughing at the start of this thread...
Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Hutch,

Not that I wish ill on anyone of any sort, in some peculiar way I think Iam going to enjoy reading on here about the competely crap time you are going to have.

Given that there is a long time between now and when Hell arrives, why not plan some competely bonkers events that you know will piss them off big time - then then you enjoy the fruits of your labours watching, enduring and ultimately enjoying their discomfort ?

Why not plan a small shopping trip and forget your wallet....then wallow in the joy of having them forced to pay for something even if it is just a car park ticket or petrol to get you home...then when repayment is demanded, make up some long winded story about lost wallets and credit cards and that the bank wants to see you.

......Or, you could always try poison....something mild to start with.

Do you have some equally annoying friend or neighbour who you can inflict on them ?

I know...........take them some place crap...like Shellharbour...say you'll pick them up when they want....then forget about them and tell them to get a taxi if they call you 'cos the motor has a flat tyre or has a dead dingo under the bonnet.

I could enjoy dreaming up scenarios ahead of the big day they arrive for you.

Invite all your sons mates round...and I mean all of them.....then get the wife to fall ill and you and she rush out to the hospital (pub) for a couple of hours.

Do they wear glasses....drop them in the pool for a few hours.....let them go a bit rusty......better still, lose them....give them to the dog to bury.....aha, that's it....get the dog to do something quite unmentionable to some of their favorite clothes...say they blew off the washine line......

Wait for a scorcher of a day...take them out and make sure their hats are left behind and they have to buy new ones but you forgot your wallet.

Give the dog their shoes for the night..........

I could dream up loads here.

Last edited by Olibeneli; Jun 14th 2009 at 11:15 am.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 11:06 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

No mate. It's all take - on the parents-in-law's part. Rules have been laid down before and made no difference.

You know, I'm not exagerating when I describe them, or charactuering them in any way. And I've known them long enough (20 years now) to have a pretty solid idea of what the visit's going to be like.
I'd tell them to get a hotel.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 5:36 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

What exactly did they do? I really want to know now?
Old Jun 14th 2009, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Can you not just say "there's a two week limit" and send them details of local B&Bs? Tell them straight out that it is in the best interest for everyone's health, particularly the grand kid's.

Tell them you've been reflecting on their last visit and have discussed it with several friends, who have been in a similar situation who ultimately decided that it would be best for everyone if they all completely cut ties. "We wouldn't want that would we MIL &FIL???".

OK, so it's a bit of blackmail......stay on the periphery of our lives, or not at all.....
Old Jun 14th 2009, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
What exactly did they do? I really want to know now?
All revealed here (scroll down a bit):
http://www.thatstheplan.com/?m=200809

and here:
http://www.thatstheplan.com/?m=200810
Old Jun 14th 2009, 6:28 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
All revealed here (scroll down a bit):
http://www.thatstheplan.com/?m=200809

and here:
http://www.thatstheplan.com/?m=200810
Cheers for that

Don't think i'll ever be able to eat one of those creme caramels again, i've now got the heebie jeebies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.