Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Supermarkets - lack of choice etc???

Supermarkets - lack of choice etc???

Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Tree Frog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Supermarkets - lack of choice etc???

I think its probably the convenience frozen stuff that they have in the UK and we dont really have here, you know crispy pancakes, dale steaks etc. The only think I still (after 19 years) whinge about is the lack of flavoured crisps here, no imagination.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:18 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Is it easy to get green tea, I especially like the lemon flavoured one
Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:22 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
genuine questions and not hairy long nailed creature living under bridge and jumping out at small goats question.....

easi yo..... can I get the sachets for my easi yo maker or do I leave it here?

also (pleeeeez don't laugh, its serious) .... gooseberries.... my hubby is a gooseberry fiend.... we fool them, crumble them, pie them and jam them... and spometimes i'lll stew them...
Do they have gooseberries in australia and if so what time of year/ how long is the season?
Easy Yo is an Australian product and yes you can get it here, Both Coles and Woolies have it. Probably the others too but I don't use them.

Not a fan of gooseberries so no idea sorry
Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:24 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
genuine questions and not hairy long nailed creature living under bridge and jumping out at small goats question.....

easi yo..... can I get the sachets for my easi yo maker or do I leave it here?

also (pleeeeez don't laugh, its serious) .... gooseberries.... my hubby is a gooseberry fiend.... we fool them, crumble them, pie them and jam them... and spometimes i'lll stew them...
Do they have gooseberries in australia and if so what time of year/ how long is the season?
Easy Yo is an Australian product and yes you can get it here, Both Coles and Woolies have it. Probably the others too but I don't use them.

Not a fan of gooseberries so no idea sorry

edit: just did a quick google and yes gooseberries are available. I thought they probably would, despite what some people say, it's not a different planet
Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:32 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Having recently been to the UK and been in the supermarkets there. There is no comparison the choice their is huge compared to here.

A lot of it is cheaper as well.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:53 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

But what sort of extra choice? Not being argumentative just interested in what you are looking for. Ignoring the number of different supermarkets, my shopping consists mainly of veg, meat, spices, dairy etc and then all the cleaning stuff all of which is no different from what I used to get. I don't go for ready made meals or that sort of stuff and I honestly can't see what the UK has choice wise that Aus doesn't. I only need one type of bread or one type of milk for example so I am scratching my head slightly as to what is not here.

I'm babbling again
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:06 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Just about everything Penny. To be honest I knew the choice wasn't as good here but it had never bothered me.

But on my first visit to a supermarket in London after getting back I was amazed.

I mean everything they have here there is at least twice the choice in, in most cases more. Then there's probably another 40% which you don't get here.

The bakery alone with all the variety of fresh loaves, rolls, pitta breads, cream cakes, danish's, fresh cookies,muffins.

Then there are things like fresh pizzas the most I've seen here his 3 varietys, I lost count of those on offer in the UK.

Loads of different stuff which I'd forgot all about, walking down the aisles saying to my dad I haven't seen that or that and so on.

Loads of stuff to pick at like buckets of spicey chicken wings, pork pies, sausage rolls, scotch eggs and alot on buy one get one free.

Kids licensed birthday cakes which you can't get here.

Just too much stuff to remember.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:59 pm
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
I personally prefer Coles for choice and everyday shopping, but the meat in my opinion is better from Woolies. As for fruit & veg the markets are the way to go. Sometimes the veg can look a bit ropey in the supermarkets ! Would also add that IGA are pretty good.
The best supermarket i have been to so far is Supavalue. But i only know of one which is in Ocean Reef in Perth ! Its always well stocked & lovely and fresh .

Good luck C&R with your move next week, really admire you for doing it on your own.

Nicky
Thanks Nicky
Old Jun 21st 2007, 12:00 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
I can't get cross&blackwell piccalilli ! And it really pisses me off bigtime as I used to be able to get it at woolies, coles etc no problem. Now they only have that god awful sweet mustard pickle shite or branston pickle which is ok now and then but not to my liking for a regular pickle.
Not sure where you are but the English shop off Winton Rd in joondalup had cross & blackwell piccalilli in the other day and also have brought from the IGA at Candlewood shops in Joondalup in the past

Sam
Old Jun 21st 2007, 12:09 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I think it all depends on your repertoire of meals. I cook everything from scratch, never use a jar of anything or ready meal. I can get meat, veg and any herb or spice I need along with rice and pasta. I can honestly say I haven't struggled to buy anything.

PS - Wouldn't mind Muller Yogs being introduced here mind you
im with you on that one, i cook everything from scratch so i dont find the supermarkets a problem here, whereas in the uk, i bought a lot of ready made stuff from marks and spencer, and asda etc but i worked full time there, i now have more time here to cook which i enjoy..i prefer coles over woolies tho, simply becasue i like the layout of the store and their own brand stuffs not bad, and i like the stock of asian food that they have (and i can get Hellmans mayo there too )
Old Jun 21st 2007, 12:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by fraser
Just about everything Penny. To be honest I knew the choice wasn't as good here but it had never bothered me.

But on my first visit to a supermarket in London after getting back I was amazed.

I mean everything they have here there is at least twice the choice in, in most cases more. Then there's probably another 40% which you don't get here.

The bakery alone with all the variety of fresh loaves, rolls, pitta breads, cream cakes, danish's, fresh cookies,muffins.

Then there are things like fresh pizzas the most I've seen here his 3 varietys, I lost count of those on offer in the UK.

Loads of different stuff which I'd forgot all about, walking down the aisles saying to my dad I haven't seen that or that and so on.

Loads of stuff to pick at like buckets of spicey chicken wings, pork pies, sausage rolls, scotch eggs and alot on buy one get one free.

Kids licensed birthday cakes which you can't get here.

Just too much stuff to remember.
Fair enough. Must be stuff I'm not bothered about. Agree about the picky stuff though, that would be nice but then I remember how shit some of the sausage rolls and pastys were (to my mind anyway) so I just go somewhere else, like an independent bakery and get fresh stuff if I am really in the mood for stuff like that.

Still can't decide if we want to go back to visit or not. Not for the next year or so anyway but I guess one day we should.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 12:55 am
C&R

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Fair enough. Must be stuff I'm not bothered about. Agree about the picky stuff though, that would be nice but then I remember how shit some of the sausage rolls and pastys were (to my mind anyway) so I just go somewhere else, like an independent bakery and get fresh stuff if I am really in the mood for stuff like that.

Still can't decide if we want to go back to visit or not. Not for the next year or so anyway but I guess one day we should.
When I recently went back to the UK, we went to Asda, and all I wanted was a brown, granary loaf of bread. When I go to the bread aisle, I was in shock, there was so much choice, and it took me at least 5 minutes to work out what it was I wanted.

In comparison to other's views on this subject, I don't believe having so much choice is a good thing, I think it is there so you spend more money.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by C&R
In comparison to other's views on this subject, I don't believe having so much choice is a good thing, I think it is there so you spend more money.
Rubbish!
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:14 am
C&R

Originally Posted by fraser
Rubbish!
No its not.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:17 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

The one thing I miss from the UK is a breakfast cereal - think the make is Jordans.
It has clusters of oats and you can get it with strawberries in it. Anyone know if they sell it over here?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.