Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Supermarkets - lack of choice etc???

Supermarkets - lack of choice etc???

Old Jun 20th 2007, 2:21 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supermarkets - lack of choice etc???

Originally Posted by northernbird
I had to go out and buy some wine to make my dinner last night. Glass of red wine in dinner, rest in my gob!
I buy a cheapo for cooking, one that I wouldn't put in my gob...
Old Jun 20th 2007, 2:31 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ransi
I buy a cheapo for cooking, one that I wouldn't put in my gob...
They say you should never put in your food wine you aren't prepared to drink. I abide by this rule every time so I can drink the rest of the bottle.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 2:34 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

They say you should never put in your food wine you aren't prepared to drink. I abide by this rule every time so I can drink the rest of the bottle.
Im a cheapskate...
Old Jun 20th 2007, 2:35 pm
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

thats a very good rule to abide by, i keep a bottle of wine with me at all times when cooking, just incase the need should arise, then if it doesnt i have to drink it so it dosnt go to waste
Old Jun 20th 2007, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc
thats a very good rule to abide by, i keep a bottle of wine with me at all times when cooking, just incase the need should arise, then if it doesnt i have to drink it so it dosnt go to waste
people after my own heart...
Old Jun 20th 2007, 2:43 pm
Cheeky member

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
people after my own heart...
Im a reformed character
Old Jun 20th 2007, 2:46 pm
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Im a reformed character
god, i just choked on my coke there !!!

sorry, forgot you had reformed yourself
Old Jun 20th 2007, 2:52 pm
Cheeky member

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc
god, i just choked on my coke there !!!

sorry, forgot you had reformed yourself
and im called cheeky
Old Jun 20th 2007, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Twin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by eddie007
genuine questions and not hairy long nailed creature living under bridge and jumping out at small goats question.....

easi yo..... can I get the sachets for my easi yo maker or do I leave it here?

also (pleeeeez don't laugh, its serious) .... gooseberries.... my hubby is a gooseberry fiend.... we fool them, crumble them, pie them and jam them... and spometimes i'lll stew them...
Do they have gooseberries in australia and if so what time of year/ how long is the season?
Yes, you can get gooseberries over here, but you only get little punnets and they cost the earth, not sure if they are available all year though.

My list of unavailable items:

Quavers, Wotsits, Skips.
They only seem to have Smiths crisps or Cheesey balls, Bacon/cheesey balls or Chicken BALLS

Hotdog sausages in brine, I can only get the shrink wrap sort and my son says they are not so nice.

Kids cereal, whilst there are kids cereals here the choice of unhealthy, sugary eat by the handful with no milk on, is not

Angel delight..... none

Beans or spagetti with sausages are not nice here, the sausage is very synthetic tasting, (yes I know they are rubbish anyway)

Tins of meatballs in onion,tomato and gravy, I think they were Campbels again none.

Soup here is not the same as English soup, not one I've tried yet anway.

Lastly why do they have to make everything 'cheesey' over here, I'm thinking beans and spagetti now, 'cheese, cheesey and extra cheesey'

On the plus side, there is so much more choice in fruit and veg here.
Nuts too, the variety is endless, or is that another thread :
Old Jun 20th 2007, 2:57 pm
Made the move -

and im called cheeky
you should be a nun, i think you'd be a good nun

sister ransi has a nice ring to it hehe

im gonna go hide now
Old Jun 20th 2007, 3:00 pm
Cheeky member

Originally Posted by Twin Peaks
Yes, you can get gooseberries over here, but you only get little punnets and they cost the earth, not sure if they are available all year though.

My list of unavailable items:

Quavers, Wotsits, Skips.
They only seem to have Smiths crisps or Cheesey balls, Bacon/cheesey balls or Chicken BALLS

Hotdog sausages in brine, I can only get the shrink wrap sort and my son says they are not so nice.

Kids cereal, whilst there are kids cereals here the choice of unhealthy, sugary eat by the handful with no milk on, is not

Angel delight..... none

Beans or spagetti with sausages are not nice here, the sausage is very synthetic tasting, (yes I know they are rubbish anyway)

Tins of meatballs in onion,tomato and gravy, I think they were Campbels again none.

Soup here is not the same as English soup, not one I've tried yet anway.

Lastly why do they have to make everything 'cheesey' over here, I'm thinking beans and spagetti now, 'cheese, cheesey and extra cheesey'

On the plus side, there is so much more choice in fruit and veg here.
Nuts too, the variety is endless, or is that another thread :
I saw quavers, monster munch and walkers beef and onion here last week, theyve gone this week though
Old Jun 20th 2007, 3:13 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
The best supermarket i have been to so far is Supavalue. But i only know of one which is in Ocean Reef in Perth ! Its always well stocked & lovely and fresh .
I thought all the Supavalues were bought out by IGA? The one at Candlewood changed a year or so ago anyway.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 3:17 pm
Cheeky member

Originally Posted by worzel
I thought all the Supavalues were bought out by IGA? The one at Candlewood changed a year or so ago anyway.
But they are independantly owned... IGA is way more expensive that Supavalu.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 3:17 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

On the whole, we eat fresh stuff all the time and have not really missed anything. Sometimes it took a while to find a replacement (eg whole egg mayo is close to Hellmans).

But just recently I have found myself hankering after some things I haven't had for ages. I think it is something to do with the cold weather. So far I have got Sam to source Paxo sage & onion stuffing for a sunday lunch and Heinz treacle pudding with Birds custard. We haven't found turkey burgers yet, though.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 3:19 pm
A former regular of BE

But they are independantly owned... IGA is way more expensive that Supavalu.
The "I" in IGA stands for independent but they are a large chain these days. I guess all the old Supavalu shops were truly independent and a few chose not to take the money?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.