Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Sunburnt? What do you do?

Sunburnt? What do you do?

Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:26 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sunburnt? What do you do?

Obviously no one gets sunburnt because we are all putting on our factor 30+ and hats and are sitting in the shade *looks sternly at everyone!* but when you do, what do you do ?

I am a fan of Elizabeth Ardens 8 Hour Cream... really helps when I am burnt.. I also try and drink shedloads of water?

What about everyone else? Any other tips for when you've had too much sun? I'd like some other tips if poss?!

Em x

PS Yep, I have small sunburns on my arms/upper chest (where I didnt put the factor 30+ over properly!)
Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:39 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunburnt? What do you do?

Originally Posted by emelems
Obviously no one gets sunburnt because we are all putting on our factor 30+ and hats and are sitting in the shade *looks sternly at everyone!* but when you do, what do you do ?

I am a fan of Elizabeth Ardens 8 Hour Cream... really helps when I am burnt.. I also try and drink shedloads of water?

What about everyone else? Any other tips for when you've had too much sun? I'd like some other tips if poss?!

Em x

PS Yep, I have small sunburns on my arms/upper chest (where I didnt put the factor 30+ over properly!)
been on the beach all day (had a sports day, sand sculptures etc for Australia day) cannot believe the ammount of sunburnt people down there, we are plastering factor 30 on whilst aussie mates dont wear anything!!

anyhoo I still think plain yoghurt is the best bet, greek if you can get it
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Got burned snorkelling on Great Barrier Reef on honeymoon. Put sunscreen on all over then took off shorts and forgot to do the bit that they covered - OUCH!!!!!!!!!

Swear by aloe vera gel. Can't remember the brand but have seen it around. Keep it in the fridge and slather on liberally - cool and soothing. Not quite worth getting burned for but almost!
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:22 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Natural Yougart

So i belive a lad on holiday once used this

Dougie

see here for the yougart thing

Last edited by Dougie; Jan 26th 2009 at 9:09 am.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:11 am
Account Closed

Natural yogurt? Never heard of that before?

Em x

PS Sorry! just saw the link ! xx

Last edited by emelems; Jan 26th 2009 at 9:17 am.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

aloe vera, plenty of water and 2 nurofen.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:15 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Calamine lotion works for us.

We try our best, but just get caught out once in a while, and this works.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

Em x

Hi,

We are validating our visa in April on the Sunshine & Gold Coast. What factor should we bring? My husband is VERY fair and so is my son but myself & daughter tan very nicely. When you pur on Factor 30 + sun cream do you get a tan. Sorry if that sounds like a silly question but I love being tanned.
Thanks,
Helena
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by helena39
Hi,

We are validating our visa in April on the Sunshine & Gold Coast. What factor should we bring? My husband is VERY fair and so is my son but myself & daughter tan very nicely. When you pur on Factor 30 + sun cream do you get a tan. Sorry if that sounds like a silly question but I love being tanned.
Thanks,
Helena
No its not a silly question...

First of all, don't bring sunscreen.. the stuff here is brilliant.. cheap and you can wear it for a good couple of hours...

Secondly, yes, you do tan with a 30+ sunscreen... I am tandamount to proof.. today I put the sunscreen on very badly on me and my daughter and my arms are lovely and brown and my face is burnt.. with a sunglasses outline (ye gods! its shaming! haha!)...

My daughter is tanned today and she was wearing 30+.. but we forgot the back of her hands and they are burnt... and I put 30+ on her face which has gone a nice golden colour, but to the right of her eye is burnt (again.. didnt pay attention!)...

Coles/Woolsworth have a brilliant 30+ sunscreen.. huge thing for about $20... and I carry Cancer Council 30+ sunscreen in my handbag and another one in my bag... they were about $12 each (from memory)...

Em x
Old Jan 26th 2009, 11:07 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Ice or frozen peas etc. Anything to take the heat out as quickly as possible. Avoid oily aftersuns as they can literally fry and leave you with blisters.
Lots of water, cool sowers.
If you are burnt AND shiny on your face and everything is stinging it like mad, try barrier repair cream by dermalogica, it helps repair the skins acid mantle (go into a salon and get a few samples)
Old Jan 26th 2009, 11:22 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Any tan is a sign of skin damage

Be careful.....there is no such thing as a safe tan

G
Old Jan 26th 2009, 11:27 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

A tan is caused by the skin producing melalin to protect itself on the introduction of uV, its not skin damage really , its just the way our bodies work...

Theres a lot of concern about carcegens in sunscreens at the moment, also a lot of people with severe vit D deficiencies too...

Its all about balance at the end of the day

PS.I know my spellings terrible tonight BTW...dyslexia and tiredness doesn't go well together
Old Jan 26th 2009, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Banana boat After Sun with aloe vera...........bloody marvellous
Old Jan 26th 2009, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

familyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nice

Sudocrem, if they have it in Oz, is fab in sunburn!

we were all burn't in the dominican last year, stupid us thought you didn'y catch the sun when it was coudy!!! by god were we wrong, a lot of sudocrem put on the burn, and next day were were right as new, and slapping on the sun cream!!

Michelle
Old Jan 26th 2009, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

No its not a silly question...

First of all, don't bring sunscreen.. the stuff here is brilliant.. cheap and you can wear it for a good couple of hours...

Secondly, yes, you do tan with a 30+ sunscreen... I am tandamount to proof.. today I put the sunscreen on very badly on me and my daughter and my arms are lovely and brown and my face is burnt.. with a sunglasses outline (ye gods! its shaming! haha!)...

My daughter is tanned today and she was wearing 30+.. but we forgot the back of her hands and they are burnt... and I put 30+ on her face which has gone a nice golden colour, but to the right of her eye is burnt (again.. didnt pay attention!)...

Coles/Woolsworth have a brilliant 30+ sunscreen.. huge thing for about $20... and I carry Cancer Council 30+ sunscreen in my handbag and another one in my bag... they were about $12 each (from memory)...

Em x
Hi,

Thanks so much for that information. Sun cream here in Ireland is SO expensive so waiting to buy it when we get there will save us a few euro's

Helena

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.