Reload this Page >

Strike possible at Aus Post

Strike possible at Aus Post

Old Nov 24th 2009, 11:03 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Strike possible at Aus Post

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Granted, there's no way I'd want to be a postie around my way but so many of the 'estates' are very similar to UK estates and the houses close to the road, just wondered how it all started but I guess in the old days everyone was spread out more. Only in the last 20 odd years that these UK type areas have popped up.
That's my view as well. Also I'm not sure letter boxes in doors is that common across the world.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 11:06 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
That's my view as well. Also I'm not sure letter boxes in doors is that common across the world.
No I think it's very much a UK thing. Don't mind having the box at the end of the drive, I just kick a kid out of the car on the way in every day. However if they're not about and I have to do it, it's a pain in the neck
Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

This dispute has been going on for 2.5 years since the last EBA 7 agreement.... It was never signed off on... Although Aus Post did pay us rises in the interim... The Union never ever signed off in agreement and basically didnt care about these rises until the major sticking point of arbtration was sorted. I guess Apost didnt want to be lumbered with 2.5 years or more of backpay.

If your company decided they only needed you 30hours PW starting from next month and the only avenue you had to at least query that decision without the change being implemented immediately (even if a judicial process 2 years down the track stated it was wrong) was taken away wouldn't you kick up ?

With a little bit of luck, if and when the strike is voted for Apost, will keep the current arbitration system in place for the next 4 years.... I would imagine that 15pct or more of current fulltimers would have left by then, leaving them in a position to be able to implement the Judical system instead at the next EBA

This could be a big one.

What it comes down to is mail volumes really are dropping, however on the last 2 years figures there is no way they can justify dropping fulltimers.... However future projections state they will be able to drop some. Basically they want to put the cart before the horse, current workers want any decision based on the previous years figures.

Theres an election next year so no way will the figures drop.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 25th 2009 at 3:43 am.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
It's a big place.

I've walked to all the house doors on our street and you have to walk about 3 maybe 4 times as far compared to just walking down the street.
I'd guesstimate they would only be able to do around 50 pct or less of the deliveries in the same amount of time.... consider the fact they would have to get on and off the bike at each house. Thats the exact reason why posties hate registered mail... each letter adds circa 90 seconds to their round time... hence 40 "regies" which is not unheard of adds one hour to a 4 hour delivery round time.

2.45 hours set up time... 35 minutes (average) to and from depotl.... 4.15 hours delivery = 7.35 approx, a full days work in post on average. BTW OT is paid at least 2.5 days per week on average over the year.... and they are talking about getting rid of fulltimers !!

Another point... if your not sick of this already... the average age of a fulltimer is now around 47 years, as Apost havent taken on any new entries to Apost Delivery or Transport Fulltime in over 10 years. Last fulltimer we had was a lady who although employed as a parttimer worked fulltime for most of that 10 years and managed to sneak under the radar by working fulltime hours for one full year, which automatically gives you a fulltime position.... Generally the managers will give a parttimer less hours for one week after 9 months or so.... so as to start the clock ticking again.

Another point... OT is mandatory for parttimers and fulltimers at Auspost.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 25th 2009 at 4:05 am.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Thats the exact reason why posties hate registered mail... each letter adds circa 90 seconds to their round time... hence 40 "regies" which is not unheard of adds one hour to a 4 hour delivery round time.

I worked as a part-time postie in the UK for 4 years, so I know exactly how much they hate registered mail. I still remember the look of hatred I'd get from people when I woke them up at 6am to sign for it. But that was because we did our morning deliveries between 5:30am and 10am.

Here I get my mail at 1pm, so not exactly an annoying time to be disturbed. I was actually sitting at my PC looking out the window when the postie turned up on his motorbike (oh to have had a motorbike in my time as a postie), and he spent about 3 seconds putting mail into the mailbox and drove off.

I've gone down to the mailbox, only to find a pink slip in it saying they tried to deliver a package but I wasn't there. I was watching him! He must pre-write the pink slips before he goes out and adds them to the mail.

I've had a word with the postmaster at the local Post office before, but he insists the postie will toot his horn, wait for a few seconds, and if no-one comes out, they'll write the pink slip.

I'll be telling him tomorrow when I pick the package that that is bollox. Again.

JTL
Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I worked as a part-time postie in the UK for 4 years, so I know exactly how much they hate registered mail. I still remember the look of hatred I'd get from people when I woke them up at 6am to sign for it. But that was because we did our morning deliveries between 5:30am and 10am.

Here I get my mail at 1pm, so not exactly an annoying time to be disturbed. I was actually sitting at my PC looking out the window when the postie turned up on his motorbike (oh to have had a motorbike in my time as a postie), and he spent about 3 seconds putting mail into the mailbox and drove off.

I've gone down to the mailbox, only to find a pink slip in it saying they tried to deliver a package but I wasn't there. I was watching him! He must pre-write the pink slips before he goes out and adds them to the mail.

I've had a word with the postmaster at the local Post office before, but he insists the postie will toot his horn, wait for a few seconds, and if no-one comes out, they'll write the pink slip.

I'll be telling him tomorrow when I pick the package that that is bollox. Again.

JTL
Used to have a similar thing at my last house. The psotman would actually stand by the mailbox writing out the Reg Post slip,without knocking on the door. If I happened to see him I would go out and ask for the package, but usually I would miss him and have to wait till the next day, when the Post Ofice would say "well, if you'd have been at home you could've had it yesterday." They refused to admit that the postman just didn't knock the door, but wrote a slip and drove off.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:46 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
No I think it's very much a UK thing. Don't mind having the box at the end of the drive, I just kick a kid out of the car on the way in every day. However if they're not about and I have to do it, it's a pain in the neck
The box wouldn't be so bad if it was bigger than the size of a small birthday card, and if it actually had cards in it saying "package to collect from post office!!!

Ah well, I have finally lost patience and am off to pay AUs Post the princely sum of $75 p a for the privilege of not having my mail stolen Oh and apparently a key is $7 on top, the $75 is only for the box
Old Nov 25th 2009, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Used to have a similar thing at my last house. The psotman would actually stand by the mailbox writing out the Reg Post slip,without knocking on the door. If I happened to see him I would go out and ask for the package, but usually I would miss him and have to wait till the next day, when the Post Ofice would say "well, if you'd have been at home you could've had it yesterday." They refused to admit that the postman just didn't knock the door, but wrote a slip and drove off.
Used to do this myself as a Parcel Driver, reason being time constraints... trying to do the round within the round time... and convinced the person wasn't home as per usual.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 8:29 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Used to do this myself as a Parcel Driver, reason being time constraints... trying to do the round within the round time... and convinced the person wasn't home as per usual.