Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Streaming video - my experience

Streaming video - my experience

Old Oct 9th 2015, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Streaming video - my experience

Originally Posted by astera
Is Blu-ray even good enough for 4K TVs? I was under the impression that the technological world still has a battle on its hands to move people from DVD to Blu-ray, and even before DVD has been ditched as an "old standard" we are already ditching Full HD TVs for 4K?

I do realise that this is what's being sold now. But I still think it's a case of technological overkill given the lack of content. Fair enough, if someone is buying a new TV anyway (old one kicked the bucket) then they might as well pick up a 4K telly. But if someone has a good TV already with Full HD then I think there is ZERO reason to upgrade at this point in time.
I traded out my old 1080p for a 4K. Just go into JB or Half Normal and see a 4K along side a 1080p running a HD or Blue Ray feed. You be the judge.
Old Oct 9th 2015, 11:01 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I traded out my old 1080p for a 4K. Just go into JB or Half Normal and see a 4K along side a 1080p running a HD or Blue Ray feed. You be the judge.
Interesting. I'll take your word for it and will jump to 4K with my next purchase. Can you see the difference on a regular Blu-ray or only on the special ones that were mastered for 4K or something like that?

Also, did you trade in your old tv just to get 4K or because it was a really old model, etc.?
Old Oct 9th 2015, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. I'll take your word for it and will jump to 4K with my next purchase. Can you see the difference on a regular Blu-ray or only on the special ones that were mastered for 4K or something like that?

Also, did you trade in your old tv just to get 4K or because it was a really old model, etc.?
The only time I have watched it on blue ray was in the shop. Otherwise I don't have a blue ray and with streaming can't see a compelling reason to get one.

I just watched a Stan stream of Bond. The picture quality is that good that M looks like a wrinkled old prune and I can cleary see Daniel Craig's adolescent pimple holes. HD feeds are excellent but I will warn you, standard def is poor.

No trade in. Second hand TV's are not worth anything. Its now the bedroom TV. I think I posted a write of it somewhere on BE. Search Samsung.
Old Oct 10th 2015, 1:56 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

4K BluRays are supposed to be coming out soon(ish), but with new DRM, the need for new players, etc.

In all likelihood they won't do well against the streamed alternatives using HEVC to squash down the 4K stream to smaller sizes. The reality is that unless you have a projector, you can't really see 4K on your conventional 4K LCD TV, so they will probably push up the compression and buffering to keep the bandwidth needed down (maybe twice that of 1080p). Take will also probably make it credible to stream over ADSL (provided your speed is high) or FTTN.

Absolutely no sign of DVB catching up any time soon - which is a pity since 60fps 4K sports is about the only valid use of Freeview going forward.
Old Oct 10th 2015, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
4K BluRays are supposed to be coming out soon(ish), but with new DRM, the need for new players, etc.

In all likelihood they won't do well against the streamed alternatives using HEVC to squash down the 4K stream to smaller sizes. The reality is that unless you have a projector, you can't really see 4K on your conventional 4K LCD TV, so they will probably push up the compression and buffering to keep the bandwidth needed down (maybe twice that of 1080p). Take will also probably make it credible to stream over ADSL (provided your speed is high) or FTTN.

Absolutely no sign of DVB catching up any time soon - which is a pity since 60fps 4K sports is about the only valid use of Freeview going forward.
No doubt they keep you locked away in the IT closet and away from explaining tech to the bean counters?
Old Oct 10th 2015, 4:37 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

No doubt they keep you locked away in the IT closet and away from explaining tech to the bean counters?
If I were explaining tech to the bean counters it would either be:
"This will make money"
or
"This will save money"
they really aren't smart enough for anything else
Old Oct 16th 2015, 7:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Telstra TV has launched:
Hands on: Telstra TV

$109 for a rebadged Roku 2 - no thanks

I was going to dismiss this box out of hand but on thinking about it, reckon it's a bit of a way forward. It will bring streaming options to people who are technically clueless and confused with what's currently on offer, increasing the user base and driving another nail into the coffin of terrestrial TV

Telstra is a waste of space company but they do have a knack of appealing to the masses - and they pay good dividends
Old Oct 16th 2015, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Telstra TV has launched:
Hands on: Telstra TV

$109 for a rebadged Roku 2 - no thanks

I was going to dismiss this box out of hand but on thinking about it, reckon it's a bit of a way forward. It will bring streaming options to people who are technically clueless and confused with what's currently on offer, increasing the user base and driving another nail into the coffin of terrestrial TV

Telstra is a waste of space company but they do have a knack of appealing to the masses - and they pay good dividends
Oh yes. Their appeal is safety and people pay through the nose for that.
Old Oct 16th 2015, 8:34 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Oh yes. Their appeal is safety and people pay through the nose for that.
Pretty daft to try and get $109 for it, when the exact same model is £15 ($30) in the UK for the same type of offering. And pretty poor they don't have ABC out of the box.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 5:10 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoyed the 1st episode of The Last Kingdom on BBC iplayer last night. Set in 10th century England and deals with Viking invasion, conflict and occupation etc

Ultra violent with a good story and acting - it could turn out to be a low-rent version of GOT
Old Oct 29th 2015, 5:21 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Pretty daft to try and get $109 for it, when the exact same model is £15 ($30) in the UK for the same type of offering. And pretty poor they don't have ABC out of the box.

We got our eval Telstra Box today. Looks like it's a custom build Roku 3 (4200X), not a Roku 2.

S
Old Oct 29th 2015, 5:35 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
We got our eval Telstra Box today. Looks like it's a custom build Roku 3 (4200X), not a Roku 2.

S
Roku 3 and Roku 2 are now the same thing, except the remote changes.

New Roku 2 vs new Roku 3: What's the difference? (Hint - it's the remote) - Pocket-lint

The original NowTV boxes never really got hacked, so I don't hold out much hope of these being gutted and mucked about with.

And I still think the Roku 4 is a much better bet.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 5:37 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Does the Roku 3 allow you to manually set the picture settings between 50 and 60Hz (or maybe 24P mode as well)?
Old Oct 29th 2015, 5:46 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Does the Roku 3 allow you to manually set the picture settings between 50 and 60Hz (or maybe 24P mode as well)?

Doesn't look like it - only 720p vs 1080p. But we still have it hooked up to a monitor - not a TV. I'll update if we get 1080/50p.

S
Old Oct 29th 2015, 5:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
I'll be interested to know how you get on with it

Did you get it for free?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.