Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Story Bridge suicide

Story Bridge suicide

Old Feb 23rd 2012, 8:21 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Story Bridge suicide

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
Very sad for all those involved.

Including the emergency services who had to attend this job. I didn't because I was on holiday, but we get called to the Story Bridge on a regular basis (much more often than you hear about on the news).

Sometimes we're called there and can talk a person down, sometimes we're called and they've already jumped and we have to pull them out of the river, and sometimes they jump and survive!

We had one a couple of weeks ago and they had survived the jump and were crawling out onto the riverbank and up the steps. We had to perform CPR until the ambos arrived (felt like forever but wasn't). Sadly they died.

But it's certainly a fairly regular event, and it's always a difficult job to attend.

I also agree that putting fencing up on the bridge won't solve the problem. As someone else said, people would just jump from Kangaroo Point cliffs or somewhere like that instead.

I had someone go off the cliffs a couple of months ago as well. They jumped from the top, cartwheeled down the cliff and it didn't look good at the bottom, but they actually survived as well. A doctor was rollerblading long the bottom of the cliffs so helped us with CPR etc until the ambos arrived.

People must be so desperate to do things like this. Especially when it doesn't always work

Very sad.
Maybe they should be allowed to bungee jump off the bridge first to see if it's really something they want to do
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 8:24 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Maybe they should be allowed to bungee jump off the bridge first to see if it's really something they want to do
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 9:50 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Few realise that mental illness can bring people to this. The stigma puts people off seeking help let alone talking about it. I would like to think the incident puts in place more intervention to help those with suicidal and murderous thoughts. Moral indignation is pointless and will only hinder the next person thinking of seeking help.
Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Because people who are mentally ill sometimes believe their child would be better off dead. Tragic.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I agree- there is a shocking lack of help for those who have a mental illness, whether it is permanent or temporary.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 9:20 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
What? Are you saying there was a possibility that he didn't kill himself and his 2 year old child? Do you have any evidence to present to the jury from the defence table?
QED

You can't argue with facts - you can discuss reasons and motive
Old Feb 24th 2012, 9:37 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

There have been times when the horrors of what i have seen in war,and what i have done in battle have pushed me to the edge,jaysus the darkness sets in,BUT you step back and think about the people you leave behind,THINK about what you are about to do,and hopefully come to yer senses,whatever that mean's.I thought about my son,my mother,my friends,most of all i thought about ME,i went through too much shit just to end it as a statistic.

Last edited by Bernieboy; Feb 24th 2012 at 9:46 am.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure that the people who take their life are in such a dark place they cannot get out.

My friend's daughter did it in the night and she jumped from the bridge into the river itself.

She had so much care for so many years, everything and options was looked into and no money was spared to make her well.

However once people reach this point reason is gone and so are they.

Help cannot be with people like this 24/7 and they would not want it. The meds have such horrid side effects for some people they do not want to take their meds either.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

sammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Also why all the shock/surprise because he was a teacher/played sport.

Teachers, nurses, police can be just as ill (or evil) as the unemployed or the guy who picks up your garbage.

Anyway I just felt totally sick when they put up a picture of the little boy. No matter how bad things are you dont hurt let alone kill your kids. Seems to be quite common though as a way to get back at the ex partner, thats not an accident, thats planned and therefor murder IMO.
Yep, and remember that guy the other year who drove his car into a lake on Mothers Day I think it was, and drowned all three of his little boys to get back at his wife...
Old Feb 24th 2012, 5:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals
I am sure that the people who take their life are in such a dark place they cannot get out.

My friend's daughter did it in the night and she jumped from the bridge into the river itself.

She had so much care for so many years, everything and options was looked into and no money was spared to make her well.

However once people reach this point reason is gone and so are they.

Help cannot be with people like this 24/7 and they would not want it. The meds have such horrid side effects for some people they do not want to take their meds either.
And some even get to the point where they feel that there is no-one who will miss them, or care that they are gone. That's what happened to my ex years ago, he truly felt he had nothing to live for and no-one would notice him go.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Pommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nice

The only one i feel sorry for is the poor little boy and his family. To be taken from a warm bed in the dead of night and from his mother on a journey to death. Just horrible. I drove over the bridge yesterday and sent chills down me.

Sometimes its just spitefulness to get back at thos. Its just Murder what he done. One person that lived near by heard the sounds of the child screaming which he said was so chilling. Just awful !!
Old Feb 26th 2012, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
What? Are you saying there was a possibility that he didn't kill himself and his 2 year old child? Do you have any evidence to present to the jury from the defence table?
How about we stop all the bickering and spare a thought to the little boy who was buried today.

His mothers last words to her son. I wouldn't have changed a thing in the 2 years of your life, except to protect you from the one we thought we could trust!

RIP sweetheart
Old Feb 26th 2012, 7:53 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassie
How about we stop all the bickering and spare a thought to the little boy who was buried today.

His mothers last words to her son. I wouldn't have changed a thing in the 2 years of your life, except to protect you from the one we thought we could trust!

RIP sweetheart
To be honest I found the balloon release pretty sickening, why endanger/kill countless wildlife by releasing all those balloons to pollute the ocean simply because your kid dies?
The organisers should be charged with littering & fined the maximum fine for each balloon released. If the litter police fine smokers for discarding a butt they should do the same for anyone releasing a balloon.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 8:46 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassie

RIP sweetheart
I'm not sure why you've chosen to quote me. I was replying to someone who was judging people for judging the father who killed his child. So....My thoughts actually were with the little boy who was murdered by one of the people in his little life who were meant to protect him from harm.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 9:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
To be honest I found the balloon release pretty sickening, why endanger/kill countless wildlife by releasing all those balloons to pollute the ocean simply because your kid dies?
The organisers should be charged with littering & fined the maximum fine for each balloon released. If the litter police fine smokers for discarding a butt they should do the same for anyone releasing a balloon.
I thought that. Bit confused to be honest, couldn't see the point, unless the cards attached had info about mental illness on them
Old Feb 27th 2012, 4:23 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I thought that. Bit confused to be honest, couldn't see the point, unless the cards attached had info about mental illness on them
What so that mentally ill turtles & sea eagles can read the messages before they choke to death on the balloons?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.