Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Story Bridge suicide

Story Bridge suicide

Old Feb 21st 2012, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Story Bridge suicide

Bloke jumps off with his two year old, lowest of the low as far as I'm concerned yet the Courier Mail is full of touching tributes

"Yesterday, floral tributes were left in the park where Mr Lees jumped from the Story Bridge holding Brad in his arms.

A bunch of white lilies were left under a tree with a card labelled "In loving memory of a loving teacher".

Why? he just funking killed his two tear old son ffs!!! No different from a murderer in my book, in fact maybe even worse since he has a duty of care and is supposed to protect his kids.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 11:01 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Story Bridge suicide

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Bloke jumps off with his two year old, lowest of the low as far as I'm concerned yet the Courier Mail is full of touching tributes

"Yesterday, floral tributes were left in the park where Mr Lees jumped from the Story Bridge holding Brad in his arms.

A bunch of white lilies were left under a tree with a card labelled "In loving memory of a loving teacher".

Why? he just funking killed his two tear old son ffs!!! No different from a murderer in my book, in fact maybe even worse since he has a duty of care and is supposed to protect his kids.
Yup.

Let's not forget the poor sod that witnessed the thing too.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Hanging's too good for 'em!
Old Feb 21st 2012, 11:09 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Last I heard he'd thrown the child first and then himself. It's all very odd imo. People saying he was great, happy, chilled etc then they say he'd just split up from his wife. Must be more to it than that, you don't go from 'normal' to 'suicidal' and 'murdering' in one short breath. Bloody sad whatever and it's bloody lucky he died, he'd know about depression if he'd survived. I understand things getting so beyond you that suicide appears to be the only way out but to murder your baby? WTF is that all about
Old Feb 21st 2012, 11:20 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Last I heard he'd thrown the child first and then himself. It's all very odd imo. People saying he was great, happy, chilled etc then they say he'd just split up from his wife. Must be more to it than that, you don't go from 'normal' to 'suicidal' and 'murdering' in one short breath. Bloody sad whatever and it's bloody lucky he died, he'd know about depression if he'd survived. I understand things getting so beyond you that suicide appears to be the only way out but to murder your baby? WTF is that all about
Because people who are mentally ill sometimes believe their child would be better off dead. Tragic.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 11:23 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

No different from a murderer in my book
He is a murderer
Old Feb 21st 2012, 11:27 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
He is a murderer
Absolutely. He planned and intended to kill his son.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 11:32 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
He is a murderer
Yep, very sad that it had to be seen by the young witness.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 11:53 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Because people who are mentally ill sometimes believe their child would be better off dead. Tragic.
Indeed....and it is far more common than most would imagine
Old Feb 21st 2012, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

All the people I know who knew him say he was a great bloke, a great teacher and a great rugby coach. I've seen the family around as they live nearby. He's obviously done this to get back at his wife for the marriage break up, no matter what the circumstances were surrounding their separation, she doesn't deserve to have to feel this type of loss and guilt. There are people who will point the finger and blame her and she will blame herself for the rest of her life. That poor little boy, how could someone do that to their own child. It just goes to show we never truly know what someone is capable, even ourselves. Many of my friends have children at Churchie where he taught and also at Somerville House. These families have had to deal with two members of the school community murdering their children and throwing themselves off the Story Bridge in five months. My youngest daughter cried herself to sleep for months after the first tragedy, this time she's hardly batted an eyelid - I don't know which is worse. I love the Story Bridge, I drive over it daily and for some reason I always feel happy and at peace when I do, but now I think about the Thompson and Lee children and probably always will. May they all rest in peace.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Also why all the shock/surprise because he was a teacher/played sport.

Teachers, nurses, police can be just as ill (or evil) as the unemployed or the guy who picks up your garbage.

Anyway I just felt totally sick when they put up a picture of the little boy. No matter how bad things are you dont hurt let alone kill your kids. Seems to be quite common though as a way to get back at the ex partner, thats not an accident, thats planned and therefor murder IMO.

Last edited by jad n rich; Feb 22nd 2012 at 1:12 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 1:25 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I also don't agree with the knee-jerk reaction calls for putting up fencing there. It seems quite clear that the guy was intent in killing himself and his child. It's not like he was just cycling past and did it on a whim. The guy drove to Kangaroo Point then cycled the rest of the way. That means he would have spent a good few hours preparing himself for it, choosing the place, getting his bike on his car etc. Had the Story Bridge had gates he would have likely just jumped from the Kangaroo Point cliffs instead (where he parked!)
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I also don't agree with the knee-jerk reaction calls for putting up fencing there. It seems quite clear that the guy was intent in killing himself and his child. It's not like he was just cycling past and did it on a whim. The guy drove to Kangaroo Point then cycled the rest of the way. That means he would have spent a good few hours preparing himself for it, choosing the place, getting his bike on his car etc. Had the Story Bridge had gates he would have likely just jumped from the Kangaroo Point cliffs instead (where he parked!)
Or checked into any brisbane hotel and jumped off the balcony.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 1:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Can't quite get my head round why he didn't jump from KP. Would have been easier surely and if he'd made his mind up, less time to rethink. However rational thought doesn't come into it.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 2:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Also why all the shock/surprise because he was a teacher/played sport.

Teachers, nurses, police can be just as ill (or evil) as the unemployed or the guy who picks up your garbage.

Anyway I just felt totally sick when they put up a picture of the little boy. No matter how bad things are you dont hurt let alone kill your kids. Seems to be quite common though as a way to get back at the ex partner, thats not an accident, thats planned and therefor murder IMO.
Because the schools involved in these two murder/suicides like to justify the actions of the adults involved so that they still feel superior to the guy who picks up your garbage. It's all about maintaining reputation and keeping up appearances.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.