Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Sperm donor to pay child support

Sperm donor to pay child support

Old Dec 4th 2007, 4:44 am
Account Closed

Dried Graze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sperm donor to pay child support

A man who donated sperm to a lesbian couple is being made to pay maintenance by the Child Support Agency (CSA).

Andy Bathie, 37, from Enfield, north London, claims he was assured by the couple he would have no personal or financial involvement for the children.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/7125895.stm
Insane if you ask me.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sperm donor to pay child support

Originally Posted by Dried Graze
Insane if you ask me.
If both/all parties had gone through a registered clinic, he would NOT be responsible. They took a legal shortcut, they pay the price.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 5:54 am
Account Closed

I don't think it's quite that black and white. However, we could say that the law is the law and ignorance is no defense but still. Personally, as 'informal' the arrangement was, I would have made sure there was something legally binding on paper for just such possibility.

At the end of the day, it appears the hapless chap had no emotional involvement in the conception and was merely doing them a favour, so in my opinion has no obligation to the mother or child.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 6:00 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

If the couple don't want the money from him, they'd put it back into his account wouldn't they?

I don't see it mentioned that they're refunding his dosh.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 6:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
If the couple don't want the money from him, they'd put it back into his account wouldn't they?

I don't see any mention of it either. What makes you think they don't want the money from him? Do the CSA act on requests from a parent seeking assistance? If so, I would assume they would keep any payments.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 6:41 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't see any mention of it either. What makes you think they don't want the money from him? Do the CSA act on requests from a parent seeking assistance? If so, I would assume they would keep any payments.
I'm not sure if it's the CSA which acts alone in the interest of the child... or whether it's the parent of the child which is forcing the issue.. (the mother)

I have a friend or two at the CSA... I can ask if you're interested.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 7:04 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom

The CSA will most likely be trying to recover income support that it is paying to the couple. They are sponging off the state and the state is going after the one responsible for creating the 2nd generation dole bludger. Sounds fair to me
Old Dec 4th 2007, 7:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably they wouldn't have put his name on the child's birth certificate. If they did then there's not a lot can be done. If they didn't, they must have instigated it. Don't the CSA only get involved if asked to ?
Old Dec 4th 2007, 7:13 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

This is just another example of Britain going to the dogs.Thank god im out!
Old Dec 4th 2007, 7:26 am
Account Closed

I have just been informed by someone in social services that it's the parent who approaches the CSA.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 8:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I have just been informed by someone in social services that it's the parent who approaches the CSA.
So one of the women gave his name to the CSA. Even with a casual agreement, a bloke would be daft not to get some contract signed so something like that can't happen. Shouldn't judge, don't know the full story
Old Dec 4th 2007, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Presumably they wouldn't have put his name on the child's birth certificate. If they did then there's not a lot can be done. If they didn't, they must have instigated it. Don't the CSA only get involved if asked to ?

Me and my OH had a 'break' for a few years in 1992, and the CSA wrote to him and asked him for child support even though I never asked for it.

I was working full time back then and was receiving something like £25 a week in family credits - they put in a claim to him for £45 a week, of which I would have got nothing except the £25 that I was already getting.

Funny thing was that I never increased my Family credits when we split up and this was the amount I was getting when we were together!

I stopped claiming the money for Tax Credits and instead worked more hours, I knew he couldn't afford to give me anything as he was earning less than I was and I was on somewhere around £3.80 per hour.

We had to tell the CSA that we were back together as they wouldn't drop the claim even though I told them I didn't want to procede with it.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 8:25 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

The CSA did send several letters addressed to "Mr Turkey Baster" they were all returned. This poor bloke didn't even get to enjoy the conception
Old Dec 4th 2007, 11:11 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes....BUT (cat amongst the pigeons time )

Surely if you take the decision to create another human life, then there is a moral responsibility to that life? Surely just trying to find a "legal" way out of it is demeaning the importance of the life you have created?

It maybe just me - but I've got no sympathy for the bloke - a child is important & needs to know where it came from. It's not about the money, it's about doing what's right.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Angela Marie - Cairns will become famous soon enoughAngela Marie - Cairns will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by brido
This is just another example of Britain going to the dogs.Thank god im out!
Us too, one of our top five reasons to leave the persecution of Nazi CSA - stalked our marriage for 8 years, best of it all was that when we left and they had no legitimate cause to get us and had to close the account they were mighty p****d to say the least.

Those who have not brushed with this organisation could not imagine the pain, and stress of their fly presumptious decisions.
Take it from someone who won the battle, and out smarted them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.