Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Space in container - What to buy?

Space in container - What to buy?

Old Feb 2nd 2008, 6:58 pm
CynOpt

CynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of light
Default Space in container - What to buy?

What did you wish wish wish you had known was going to be so expensive once you got there.

Is there anything that is so much more expensive in Aus ( Melbourne specifically ) that it is worth picking up now if we have a bit of space in the container, or replacing it if we know we will have to in a year or two anyway.

If there was a big price difference, on a pricey item, it should be worth paying any import charges. Is there any other legal reason we should not consider doing this?

I can't see that we will be able to fill a container with the stuff we have, but at the same time, we have way too much to consider not having one.

Thinking of items like:

Things like getting all replacement bed linen/toweling cos tesco have dirt cheap bath sheets and king size quilts/covers.
Or loads of socks and underwear perhaps, or anti-histamines, shampoo?
Lamps/bulbs?
Update the jug kettle/microwave/dyson before we go?

If we have space, it seems a shame to waste it.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Space in container - What to buy?

Hi Cynopt.

Most stuff is reasonable here, and not worth buying new in UK. I brought lots of books with me, I stocked up from ebay as books are pricey here, if you're a reader.

If I had used a container I would have brought my antique furniture. It's dead cheap in UK now, and hard to get here.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all

I would buy as much english chocolate and crisps as you can from a cash and carry and set up your own tuck shop when you get here. You'd easily cover the cost of shipping everything else.

Mine will be galaxy for sweets and monster munch assorted for savoury. Ta
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:29 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

anti-histamines are dear but don't know if I'd want THAT many.

Books and shoes expensive. Nice china maybe?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:36 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CynOpt

Things like getting all replacement bed linen/toweling cos tesco have dirt cheap bath sheets and king size quilts/covers.

Definitely worth getting these

Or loads of socks and underwear perhaps, or anti-histamines, shampoo?
Lamps/bulbs?

If your an M&S undies fan then its worth stocking up

Update the jug kettle/microwave/dyson before we go?

I would probably just bring what you have already and see what you need here

If we have space, it seems a shame to waste it.
I would bring books - they are very expensive here and you can sell them on ebay afterwards. Food I wouldn't bother much with as you can treat yourself from the British shops if desperate,
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Shame you're not coming to Brizzy you could've slipped a couple of hundred brollys in
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:59 am
CynOpt

CynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys, the books are definintely coming anyway, I can't afford not to re-read old stuff, I get through so many. An e-bay run might be an idea tho, I like that one

And oh dear, I have to buy shoes , whatever will I do??
Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:42 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CynOpt
Thanks guys, the books are definintely coming anyway, I can't afford not to re-read old stuff, I get through so many. An e-bay run might be an idea tho, I like that one

And oh dear, I have to buy shoes , whatever will I do??
dysons are expensive in Oz
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

pukka pom will become famous soon enoughpukka pom will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by asher
dysons are expensive in Oz
Can't wait to tell OH!!! Have been nagging for new Dyson to take to Oz, he says no - he'll bloody well say yes now - there is a DC20 in Costco with my name on it!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mooncat
I would buy as much english chocolate and crisps as you can from a cash and carry and set up your own tuck shop when you get here. You'd easily cover the cost of shipping everything else.

Mine will be galaxy for sweets and monster munch assorted for savoury. Ta
And errr. We are talking about FOOD in a container on a ship making a 3 month trip half way round the world. So it'll be stale and mouldy by the time it gets here.

Not to mention, most of it won't be allowed into Oz without being sprayed by Customs with lots of lovely chemicals.

You're welcome to it

JTL
Old Feb 8th 2008, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
And errr. We are talking about FOOD in a container on a ship making a 3 month trip half way round the world. So it'll be stale and mouldy by the time it gets here.

Not to mention, most of it won't be allowed into Oz without being sprayed by Customs with lots of lovely chemicals.

You're welcome to it

JTL
It was meant to be a joke!!