British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Space in container - What to buy? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/space-container-what-buy-511213/)

CynOpt Feb 2nd 2008 6:58 pm

Space in container - What to buy?

What did you wish wish wish you had known was going to be so expensive once you got there.

Is there anything that is so much more expensive in Aus ( Melbourne specifically ) that it is worth picking up now if we have a bit of space in the container, or replacing it if we know we will have to in a year or two anyway.

If there was a big price difference, on a pricey item, it should be worth paying any import charges. Is there any other legal reason we should not consider doing this?

I can't see that we will be able to fill a container with the stuff we have, but at the same time, we have way too much to consider not having one.

Thinking of items like:

Things like getting all replacement bed linen/toweling cos tesco have dirt cheap bath sheets and king size quilts/covers.
Or loads of socks and underwear perhaps, or anti-histamines, shampoo?
Lamps/bulbs?
Update the jug kettle/microwave/dyson before we go?

If we have space, it seems a shame to waste it.

quercus Feb 4th 2008 12:22 am

Re: Space in container - What to buy?

Hi Cynopt.

Most stuff is reasonable here, and not worth buying new in UK. I brought lots of books with me, I stocked up from ebay as books are pricey here, if you're a reader.

If I had used a container I would have brought my antique furniture. It's dead cheap in UK now, and hard to get here.

mooncat Feb 4th 2008 5:26 am

I would buy as much english chocolate and crisps as you can from a cash and carry and set up your own tuck shop when you get here. You'd easily cover the cost of shipping everything else. :D

Mine will be galaxy for sweets and monster munch assorted for savoury. Ta:thumbsup:

I_Will_Freckle Feb 4th 2008 5:29 am

anti-histamines are dear but don't know if I'd want THAT many.

Books and shoes expensive. Nice china maybe?

rebnatoli Feb 4th 2008 5:36 am

Originally Posted by CynOpt (Post 5874575)

Things like getting all replacement bed linen/toweling cos tesco have dirt cheap bath sheets and king size quilts/covers.

Definitely worth getting these

Or loads of socks and underwear perhaps, or anti-histamines, shampoo?
Lamps/bulbs?

If your an M&S undies fan then its worth stocking up

Update the jug kettle/microwave/dyson before we go?

I would probably just bring what you have already and see what you need here

If we have space, it seems a shame to waste it.

I would bring books - they are very expensive here and you can sell them on ebay afterwards. Food I wouldn't bother much with as you can treat yourself from the British shops if desperate,

bobbyftm Feb 4th 2008 9:00 am

Shame you're not coming to Brizzy you could've slipped a couple of hundred brollys in :eek:

CynOpt Feb 5th 2008 9:59 am

Thanks guys, the books are definintely coming anyway, I can't afford not to re-read old stuff, I get through so many. An e-bay run might be an idea tho, I like that one

And oh dear, I have to buy shoes , whatever will I do?? :eek::thumbsup:

asher Feb 5th 2008 10:42 am

Originally Posted by CynOpt (Post 5887299)
Thanks guys, the books are definintely coming anyway, I can't afford not to re-read old stuff, I get through so many. An e-bay run might be an idea tho, I like that one

And oh dear, I have to buy shoes , whatever will I do?? :eek::thumbsup:

dysons are expensive in Oz

pukka pom Feb 5th 2008 11:42 am

Originally Posted by asher (Post 5887569)
dysons are expensive in Oz

Can't wait to tell OH!!! Have been nagging for new Dyson to take to Oz, he says no - he'll bloody well say yes now - there is a DC20 in Costco with my name on it!

JackTheLad Feb 5th 2008 11:58 am

Originally Posted by mooncat (Post 5881121)
I would buy as much english chocolate and crisps as you can from a cash and carry and set up your own tuck shop when you get here. You'd easily cover the cost of shipping everything else. :D

Mine will be galaxy for sweets and monster munch assorted for savoury. Ta:thumbsup:

And errr:confused:. We are talking about FOOD in a container on a ship making a 3 month trip half way round the world. So it'll be stale and mouldy by the time it gets here.

Not to mention, most of it won't be allowed into Oz without being sprayed by Customs with lots of lovely chemicals.

You're welcome to it :p

JTL

mooncat Feb 8th 2008 2:03 am

Originally Posted by JackTheLad (Post 5887991)
And errr:confused:. We are talking about FOOD in a container on a ship making a 3 month trip half way round the world. So it'll be stale and mouldy by the time it gets here.

Not to mention, most of it won't be allowed into Oz without being sprayed by Customs with lots of lovely chemicals.

You're welcome to it :p

JTL

:rofl: It was meant to be a joke!!:eek::p