Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

South African Farmers For Oz?

South African Farmers For Oz?

Old Apr 23rd 2018, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South African Farmers For Oz?

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I'm certainly aware of those as well as the retuned servicemen given land to farm. Varying degrees of success of what I recall. But a worthy point to raise none the less.

I am not sure 'country folk' are fully informed of all the facts. I have already mentioned the York Cocky , here in WA, (York) who considers the arrival of SA farmers would be better suited to perform the work on his farm, than the apparent back packers whom perform tasks below desired skill at present.
A big part of the argument is that these SA farmers will not be expecting to work as farm labourers, and have great difficulty accepting it considering the role they now perform.
Will the government grant them land to farm? When so many farmers have been finding it tough in various parts I wonder how feasible that would prove or affordable?
With the numbers apparently being discussed it would probably be fair to suggest that many would be unable to farm and forced into other occupations.

All very subjective though as no need has been established as to date, nor do I expect anytime soon.
Nothing wrong with farmers sponsoring the few that may wish to come over as farm managers and the like.
I do also agree with the crux of one of your arguments. I am not sure that farm-owning, land-owning South Africans will accept the downward mobility to being a labourer on someone else's farm, and won't instead look for other employment. Incoming SA farmers on refugee visas won't be traditional-style "economic migrants" who make more money working a month at the till at Woolworth's than they would working three years on their own farm in the developing world, and therefore just happy with any job they can get.

Last edited by carcajou; Apr 23rd 2018 at 12:52 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
I do also agree with the crux of one of your arguments. I am not sure that farm-owning, land-owning South Africans will accept the downward mobility to being a labourer on someone else's farm, and won't instead look for other employment. Incoming SA farmers on refugee visas won't be traditional-style "economic migrants" who make more money working a month at the till at Woolworth's than they would working three years on their own farm in the developing world, and therefore just happy with any job they can get.
If reports are correct, agriculture is going to be a boom in the coming years in Australia. Labouring is only one facet of agriculture. There will be plenty of other skills required - machinery operators, fencers, etc and then there's the hanger off industries - trucking, machinery sales and maintenance, veterinarian services, etc.

Expecting a South African farmer to walk in to Australia and start up there own farm is probably a bit excessive, but there's no reason why we couldn't take their farming expertise and apply it to other areas. Every farmer knows how to build and maintain a fence. Many don't have the time to do their own fencing and often employer a dedicator fencer for the part - that fencing company could be a former South African farmer who wants to focus their many skills into one.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I think the less than practical nature of Dutton's 'Syrian style rescue' of South African farmers has been shown to be both impractical to put into practise and unwarranted in suggestion.

Some could I suppose align it with a foreign nation, say South Africa, for example, saying they would look to put into operation to remove indigenous Australians from Australia, owing to institutional racism, poor living conditions, high crime rate, poor health outcomes, etc. one may assume Australia would not welcome such off the cuff remarks from an African Minister.

Then of course The South African Farmers Organisation, have said there is not a need , in fact, thanks but no thanks.

Now in todays 'Australian' newspaper, the majority want immigration cut back, but many support the entry of South African farmers on a special visa.

One would think this government would concentrate in clearing up the mess with present asylum seekers both off shore and especially those on bridging visas on shore relying on charity to survive.

But for the most part these farmers are not coming to Australia to build fences. They employ many dozens of workers and their families to do chores as fence mending, child minding, and a host of other things.

Too many don't appear to have an understanding of the life many live in SA. Obviously some will want out, as in any situation. But the majority will only be moved by the maximum of pressure applied, and that could even take some doing.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

I think the less than practical nature of Dutton's 'Syrian style rescue' of South African farmers has been shown to be both impractical to put into practise and unwarranted in suggestion.

Some could I suppose align it with a foreign nation, say South Africa, for example, saying they would look to put into operation to remove indigenous Australians from Australia, owing to institutional racism, poor living conditions, high crime rate, poor health outcomes, etc. one may assume Australia would not welcome such off the cuff remarks from an African Minister.

Then of course The South African Farmers Organisation, have said there is not a need , in fact, thanks but no thanks.

Now in todays 'Australian' newspaper, the majority want immigration cut back, but many support the entry of South African farmers on a special visa.

One would think this government would concentrate in clearing up the mess with present asylum seekers both off shore and especially those on bridging visas on shore relying on charity to survive.

But for the most part these farmers are not coming to Australia to build fences. They employ many dozens of workers and their families to do chores as fence mending, child minding, and a host of other things.

Too many don't appear to have an understanding of the life many live in SA. Obviously some will want out, as in any situation. But the majority will only be moved by the maximum of pressure applied, and that could even take some doing.
Will be interesting if and when a Zimbabwe-type situation develops what those opposed to helping the white farmers today will then say when too late.

I do not know the politics of South Africa as well a you do, but what else could the Farmer's organization say ? You write "some will want out as in any situation " , I wonder if similar comments were expressed concerning white farmers in Zimbabwe ?

You make some good points in your comprehensive opposition to helping those farmers who do wish to leave, let us hope against the history of other African states that things turnout well for the white tribe of South Africa and the country doesn't become another basket case.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't expect to see a wholesale departure of South Africa's white farmers, at any time. Farmers in general are a stubborn breed. They fight a permanent battle against the elements, and for them "government" is just another element. In the RSA farming districts the old Boer/Voortrekker spirit is still strong; they will take a lot of shifting. Some of their children may emigrate, of course; many farm-bred children have always migrated to the bright lights of the cities and towns. But the stayers will stay.

I have a cousin in Zimbabwe who grew tobacco; the government confiscated their farm, then threw them off it, then brought them back to manage a part of it, and to the best of my knowledge they're still there, hanging on by their fingernails. Australia will have to come up with something very special to persuade people like that to give up and emigrate.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
I really don't expect to see a wholesale departure of South Africa's white farmers, at any time. Farmers in general are a stubborn breed. They fight a permanent battle against the elements, and for them "government" is just another element. In the RSA farming districts the old Boer/Voortrekker spirit is still strong; they will take a lot of shifting. Some of their children may emigrate, of course; many farm-bred children have always migrated to the bright lights of the cities and towns. But the stayers will stay.

I have a cousin in Zimbabwe who grew tobacco; the government confiscated their farm, then threw them off it, then brought them back to manage a part of it, and to the best of my knowledge they're still there, hanging on by their fingernails. Australia will have to come up with something very special to persuade people like that to give up and emigrate.
I think you are right a pretty touch bunch, but there is a limit how much one can take. I had several Rhodesian friends, and some of the stories of what they went through are horrendous. Many of them had fought in the Bush war, so definitely were quite capable to defend themselves. If I recall at its height there were around 250,000 whites in Rhodesia- now down to around 25,000 or less I think.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Will be interesting if and when a Zimbabwe-type situation develops what those opposed to helping the white farmers today will then say when too late.

I do not know the politics of South Africa as well a you do, but what else could the Farmer's organization say ? You write "some will want out as in any situation " , I wonder if similar comments were expressed concerning white farmers in Zimbabwe ?

You make some good points in your comprehensive opposition to helping those farmers who do wish to leave, let us hope against the history of other African states that things turnout well for the white tribe of South Africa and the country doesn't become another basket case.
Just to point out the historical differences among others between Zimbabwe and RSA.

Numerically the whites in Rhodesia never came close to those of RSA, many coming between and after the wars. As such many still were expatriates with Right of Abode existing within UK.
The deep ingrained roots established through a turbulent history were nowhere close to those of the Afrikaner. I mention this to under line the feelings of belonging those farmers of Afrikaner stock have with South Africa.

Grand to read Zimbabwe under its new leadership is opening up to the world, appears to be about to rejoin The Commonwealth, as well as talk of compensation for displaced farmers. Great signs that country may again in time prosper.

We cannot act on what remote event may happen at some stage in the future. We can only comment on the present taking into consideration past events, but being realistic and not being swayed by false prophets,. if I can put it that way.

I found it rather remarkable to be called anti white on this thread, due to stance taken, rather than pro South Africa, and wanting the best for all its inhabitants.
South Africa is rather a unique example of a liberal, multi cultural country, still in the making before can be termed a real success, with many obstacles in its path, due to massive inequality for the most part, but with a lot of folk on all sides doing their best to ensure success.

Tourists come over and fall in love with the country and friendly people and cost to holiday there. It is rather ideally suited for Europeans wanting a short, but very different break, and so many I have met over the years build up a real adoration for the country. I know some that return every year even.

Very unfair for a small minded politician, looking to score home points, to address the situation as he has.
That tone does little for most concerned perhaps outside of his own popularity. It is largely damaging to the farmers as well as the good will between nations.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 2:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes indeed. I suspect few without some knowledge of the Afrikaner would be aware just how bloody minded and tough, in the real sense of the word, these folk really are. Stubborn, be hard to find a race more so.

Something very special indeed. Which is why I mentioned given them their own area to farm and live accordingly (culture and language) because little else will indeed shift them. One can only admire such fortitude in an age of shallowness ,greed narcissism and self preservation.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gone quiet of the 'operation remove South African farmer front, over recent days. I imagine the government has 'more pressing' things on its plate after failing to abort the Royal Commission into the scandal of the financial services,

Some may of course, question the unfortunate use of words by the minister concerned, with regards to civilised country, referring to Australia, with financial services and banking running rampant through society and the consequences that brought about to ordinary folk, not particularly economic literate.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Yes indeed. I suspect few without some knowledge of the Afrikaner would be aware just how bloody minded and tough, in the real sense of the word, these folk really are. Stubborn, be hard to find a race more so.

Something very special indeed. Which is why I mentioned given them their own area to farm and live accordingly (culture and language) because little else will indeed shift them. One can only admire such fortitude in an age of shallowness ,greed narcissism and self preservation.
I think we might have been wrong, troubadour! According to this report (below), 15,000 or so of them may be moving to Russia. Who knows, eh?

https://www.rt.com/business/432375-r...frica-farmers/
Old Jul 11th 2018, 11:46 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Reminds me of a group of Angolan born Portuguese Engineers that I knew in Angola during the early 90s. Before they fled the country in the 70s they were locals earning local wages, only to return a some years later as Expats earning large sums of tax-free US dollars.
Old Jul 21st 2018, 2:13 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like they've found an alternative.

Old Jul 23rd 2018, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if the WA Labor Government bans the Live Sheep trade, that's even fewer jobs for migrants in the bush.

Alannah put on quite the show in Katanning last week. "Farmers you should have a Plan B."
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 2:07 pm
Banned

I agree, when we think about it their history has been one continual quest for survival, freedom and self determination. This will be the third time they've had to look for a new home.
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 11:48 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
I agree, when we think about it their history has been one continual quest for survival, freedom and self determination. This will be the third time they've had to look for a new home.
They may lose their land but the kill ratio is going to be insane

I don't think the ANC/EFF are ready for that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.