Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

so pi**ed off with our estate agent.

so pi**ed off with our estate agent.

Old May 10th 2006, 5:46 pm
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: so pi**ed off with our estate agent.

Originally Posted by joho
It means that because they are not buying a house here the chain of buyers stops with them.

Jo
Thanks for that

Miranda
Old May 15th 2006, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

this is the latest news, my hubby and I went to the Estate agent to see the manger, to see if we can end this contract some how, as we are tie to them for 12 weeks and its only the 5th week, so my husband said let me talk as I can be more calmer.
so he tried poor guy, but they wouldn't let us get free from this bloody contract we even tried to pay the penalty, and they say no penalty, you have to stay to the end of contract we wont let you to even go multi agent.
so my husband said, why is it against law to put down no on-ward chain, he said its against their policy only in their shop.
that was the last straw for me and I lost it, I didnt swear, but very close, I really need to see solicitor I think to break free from this contract. we dont know what else to do.
I'm so depress now, I really dont know what else we can do.

thank you so much for all your reply, any other suggestion please help.
Old May 15th 2006, 5:15 am
One of Big G's girls.

Loubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
this is the latest news, my hubby and I went to the Estate agent to see the manger, to see if we can end this contract some how, as we are tie to them for 12 weeks and its only the 5th week, so my husband said let me talk as I can be more calmer.
so he tried poor guy, but they wouldn't let us get free from this bloody contract we even tried to pay the penalty, and they say no penalty, you have to stay to the end of contract we wont let you to even go multi agent.
so my husband said, why is it against law to put down no on-ward chain, he said its against their policy only in their shop.
that was the last straw for me and I lost it, I didnt swear, but very close, I really need to see solicitor I think to break free from this contract. we dont know what else to do.

Really sorry to hear that you could'nt sort it out. The agents are being complete s***s.
Why don't you give the citizens advice bureau a call and get some advice. It may save you some money on legal fees.
Hope you can get it sorted soon.
Old May 15th 2006, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loubags
Really sorry to hear that you could'nt sort it out. The agents are being complete s***s.
Why don't you give the citizens advice bureau a call and get some advice. It may save you some money on legal fees.
Hope you can get it sorted soon.
yes I think, I'll do that, I just cant understand why this estate agent would have different policy, when their sister company is advertising for no-onward chain how is that possible. I really dont get it.
Old May 15th 2006, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that the weasels normally only allow you to serve notice on the contract FROM THE END of your initial tie in period.

ie if you're with them for 12 weeks and you give them 2 weeks notice....you're effectively tied in for 14 weeks.

At the end of the day YOU are the client and can insist on them specifying NO ONWARD CHAIN prominently unless it's written anywhere in the small print.
Old May 15th 2006, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by marco121068
Don't forget that the weasels normally only allow you to serve notice on the contract FROM THE END of your initial tie in period.

ie if you're with them for 12 weeks and you give them 2 weeks notice....you're effectively tied in for 14 weeks.

At the end of the day YOU are the client and can insist on them specifying NO ONWARD CHAIN prominently unless it's written anywhere in the small print.
trust me I have tried it, I said show me your policy, where it says that they cant put that down, he said its not in their policy to show me that, duhhh
it sounds like that advertise on TV, doesn't it, but he would show it to our solicitor, not me.
so it looks like it I have to go and get a solicitor, which I really dont want to.
Old May 15th 2006, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

trust me I have tried it, I said show me your policy, where it says that they cant put that down, he said its not in their policy to show me that, duhhh
it sounds like that advertise on TV, doesn't it, but he would show it to our solicitor, not me.
so it looks like it I have to go and get a solicitor, which I really dont want to.
Hi

Sorry to hear of your situation, I would be here all night if I began listing problems I have had with Estate Agents! Lots of different agents, but always the same problems and they all must read from the same scripts! Anytime you put them on the spot they wriggle out of things with a scripted response!

When I was faced with the same situation, I instructed a new agent on the sly, they suggested they came and took all the photo's, had the brochure ready and mentioned our property without giving the address to people coming in stating when the house would be available for viewings, building up a list of viewings ready for when they took it over.

At least you can focus on something and know that the minute the existing agent is off the case somebody else is more than ready. I informed the new agent that they could have 2 weeks before going joint agency with somebody else.

Some people think joint agency makes you look desperate, but I think it keeps the agent on their toes as winner takes all!

Good luck and don't let the B*S**RD* grind you down!

Nikki

P.S. look into the notice period, I thought it was possible to to serve your notice whilst the contract was still running, ie: once the 12 weeks is up they are out on their ear!
Old May 15th 2006, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby told our first agents not to send anyone round and to remove their sign from our garden. They weren't going to let us out of the contract, but after he said that to them, they changed their mind and billed us for £120. Best £120 we have ever spent!! cos we sold our house in 3 week with the new agent.
Old May 15th 2006, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

the only good news I have is, I phoned old friend who is solicitor and asked her to check my contract out for me to see if there is anyway I can get out of this situation, she asked me to scan my agreement to her and she will get back to me as soon as she checks them up for me, but she said there is no such law that says that there is no onward chain.
so maybe if I get her send an official letter it might help, to shut them up for good.
I shall keep you inform, right now I'm serving a real bad headache.
cheers for all the reply.
Old May 20th 2006, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Just sacked our estate agent, as my friend read through our agreement and said this contract is void, as they didnt include all their policy at the time signing.
really happy, seen an independent estate agent, very professional, so lets hope things would improve soon.
many thanks for all your good advice, we are so happy now.

farideh
Old May 20th 2006, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Just sacked our estate agent, as my friend read through our agreement and said this contract is void, as they didnt include all their policy at the time signing.
really happy, seen an independent estate agent, very professional, so lets hope things would improve soon.
many thanks for all your good advice, we are so happy now.

farideh

Glad you've got that sorted.

Make sure you ask any new EA's lots of questions before you sign anything.
Old May 20th 2006, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by WendyC
Glad you've got that sorted.

Make sure you ask any new EA's lots of questions before you sign anything.
thanks Wendy, we have poor guy was supposed to spend about 45 mins, as he has here before, he was here for 1.45 mins, he said he really need to leave to get to he's next appointment which he was half an hour late.
but we were a lot happier because this time we knew what to ask.
we haggle over the commission and get out clause, so all went well up to now.
let see in the weeks to come, he well he does finger crossed.
Wendy congratulation on selling your house, so when are you off then.
Old May 20th 2006, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

thanks Wendy, we have poor guy was supposed to spend about 45 mins, as he has here before, he was here for 1.45 mins, he said he really need to leave to get to he's next appointment which he was half an hour late.
but we were a lot happier because this time we knew what to ask.
we haggle over the commission and get out clause, so all went well up to now.
let see in the weeks to come, he well he does finger crossed.
Wendy congratulation on selling your house, so when are you off then.

I think it's much better when you have a bit of confidence in them. Good luck, I hope it sells fast for you.

We'll probably be off sometime in June, depends on how quick the searches are done really. Hoping to hear something bank holiday week.
Old May 20th 2006, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by WendyC
I think it's much better when you have a bit of confidence in them. Good luck, I hope it sells fast for you.

We'll probably be off sometime in June, depends on how quick the searches are done really. Hoping to hear something bank holiday week.
not long then, we are thinking of doing our validating visa at the end of the June, as the tickets are so much cheaper as we wasted now 5 weeks with that estate agent, only problem is where to stay, as hotel would be very expensive for all 5 of us. I wish I had auntie in Adelaide like you. never mind still searching, for reasonable place to stay for 3 weeks.
Old May 20th 2006, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

not long then, we are thinking of doing our validating visa at the end of the June, as the tickets are so much cheaper as we wasted now 5 weeks with that estate agent, only problem is where to stay, as hotel would be very expensive for all 5 of us. I wish I had auntie in Adelaide like you. never mind still searching, for reasonable place to stay for 3 weeks.
If I find anything I'll let you know. I can't stay with my Aunt as she is renting at the minute while her house is being built. She only has 2 bedrooms.

It's the school holidays over there the first few weeks of July, so the prices for then are a bit high.

We're looking at cabins in caravan parks at the minute, so if I find a decent cheapish one I'll send you the details. My Aunt is also looking, so even more chance of finding something that's not too dear. So far they've all been in the region of $300 - $400 per week, based on a family of 4. I am looking for around $200 - $300 though, cos I'm a tight arse

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.