Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

snag = sausage, but why ?

snag = sausage, but why ?

Old Jun 4th 2006, 12:50 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: snag = sausage, but why ?

Originally Posted by hevs
Wasn't that how Harold Holt took his last swim

Actually no, he was snorkelling.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 12:55 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: snag = sausage, but why ?

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Actually no, he was snorkelling.
I got him mixed up with the other famous Harold didn't I :

Madge is chatting to the artist, as Harold searches for shells on the rocks behind them. She’s asking him about his work, and looks around and waves at Harold. He waves back, and she starts chatting again, telling the man that his painting is very good. He says that she can have it for $150, postage home included, and she’s tempted but says that she’ll have to ask her husband. She looks back to the rocks, but can’t see him. The artist says that those rocks are dangerous, and the two of them go over to look. He says that he’s going to call search and rescue, but Madge insists that he must be there somewhere. She bends down and picks up his glasses from a rockpool, and screams out his name.

Last edited by hevs; Jun 4th 2006 at 1:07 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 1:13 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: snag = sausage, but why ?

That's the one.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 1:17 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
That's the one.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 2:02 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Scorpio1
Surely everyone from the UK calls a bread roll a bap? I remember it was a question on 'Who wants to be a Millionaire' celebrity edition over here in Oz & the guy had no idea & got it wrong.
There are lots of local words for bread rolls in the UK.

Just a few that I've come across where I've lived at various times (and not definitive/complete if anyone wants to disagree/add/clarify):

Barm cake - parts of Lancashire
Tea cake (not the fruited sort) - parts of Yorkshire
Cob - Birmingham
Batch - Coventry
Roll - London

Elaine
Old Jun 4th 2006, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine M
There are lots of local words for bread rolls in the UK.

Just a few that I've come across where I've lived at various times (and not definitive/complete if anyone wants to disagree/add/clarify):

Barm cake - parts of Lancashire
Tea cake (not the fruited sort) - parts of Yorkshire
Cob - Birmingham
Batch - Coventry
Roll - London

Elaine

You missed a stottie from the NE a rather large bread bun yummy
Mandy
Old Jun 4th 2006, 2:36 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Sorry Mandy,

Just goes to prove my point though!

I know there are more local variations but I've forgotten a few.

Elaine
Old Jun 4th 2006, 10:00 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mr mover
No but must be a pommie thing and Welshpom heres your answer to SNAGs from a mate who spent years in Abattoirs it stand for Skin , Nuts ,& , Guts thats all thats left of a beast when thy finish. Sorry to all of you who did,nt want to know this .............. mm
That sounds like a retro-fitted meaning - like DHL stands for Drop it, Hide it, Lose it. Or DSE - the Department for Scorched Earth.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 2:14 am
Tell it like it is'er

Scorpio1 will become famous soon enough

Re 'king hit & bashed' - maybe they just missed the 'Fu' off the front