smoking

Old Mar 1st 2009, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of
Default Re: smoking

Originally Posted by homewardbound
Well everyone I'm on day 2 of champix and i'm also reading allan Carr's book too... Unfortunately I had bad news from the Dr when i went to get my script and my initial bp was 182/122 -it did drop slightly after 3 hours in the surgery and an ecg later... So I'm also on bp tablets too now and more tests next week.

I'm more determined than ever to stop now
If you wanna stop,you will well done in becomign a non smoker as from now,you should feel proud of yourself

I smoked for 17yrs now im 36yrs old and smoked 20 a day and loved it!!
But last few years i have always wanted to stop but have zero will power
I tried patches loads of times/cold turkey,and also the alan carr book which you have to be in the right frame of mind to read etc etc
In the end i wanted to stop that much and didnt want to tell my family that im dying through something that i was slowly killing myself with i just stoped!!
It was since sept 07 and i feel awesome,ok i have put ona stone in timber but i still look good

I also put £70 a week away into a bank account which inturn pays for my new vdub van i love!!!
Make sure you put your money away and buy yourself a treat every week or every month and just remember that you would of spent the money on killing yourself and making you look/smell like ash tray!!

Bear in mind you will have the odd mad craving in years to come,but they will last a few moments and you just get on with life!!

I used to find it hard with a cup of tea and after eating and even going on holiday,its all about associating a smoke with a task or event
Jase
Old Mar 1st 2009, 9:52 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Three Legs
I believe those who smoke have had or have 'issues' ...

interesting viewpoint - I had issues very young then! Probably before I could spell it.

Every one of my friends smoked, in fact I think probably 80% plus of people I know smoked, maybe even higher.

I am so glad I am over it though, the commitment of standing outside buildings, running outside airports, remembering to go to the shops to buy cigarettes is just so boring.

My 16 year old nephew has just walked by me smelling like an ashtray - his parents don't know he smokes - I just don't know how you couldnt - it absolutely stinks!
Old Mar 1st 2009, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by homewardbound
I am going to try the tablets... not zyban but the new ones called CHAMPIX.. my friend gave up after 20 years smoking and 3 people she knows also used teh tablets and they stopped.

I've tried the patches and lozenges - were pretty much useless.
Champix is the biz. I gave up 4 months ago. I actually used Champix AND patches. The Champix instructions will go on about how you don't need to use anything else, but I did.

With Champix and patches I was able to walk around for 2 weeks with a pack of cigs in my pocket and never smoked one. No interest. Then I gradually reduced both the Champix and patches, so by xmas I was completely free.

And I have the will power of a lemming, so definitely try Champix + patches.

JTL
Old Mar 1st 2009, 1:04 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

For those interested and who posted on here,an update
When I did the original post I said that I was reading the Alan Carr book and that I had nearly finished it.
Well I finshed it and I am fag free! Havent had a single puff and havent wanted one either-not in a nasty way, I just dont want them anymore, so yes, I have to say I'm pleased with myself. Several of my friends now want to borrow the book cos they have seen how easy it was for me to stop so with a bit of luck they will do it too...
Old Mar 1st 2009, 8:43 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squeezzii
has anyone sucessfully given up smoking, I not talking about the new year resolution people specifically, just anyone who has been sucessfull and what method did you use?
12 years now... was on 40/50 Marlboro a day... just went cold turkey... but I really really wanted to do it... my partner at the time carried on with her 30 a day Silk Cut and it didn't bother me in the slightest...
Old Mar 1st 2009, 9:53 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I used to smoke around 20 a day back in the UK...

I left Heathrow in '98 with a full pack...
and had the last one in Osaka airport in transit..

When I touched down in Brisbane I was a non-smoker. Never been tempted, never noticed any unpleasant side effects and never struggled at all...

Over ten years later and I cant see what all the fuss is about! - If you want to stop smoking simply abandon EVERYTHING in your life, move to the other side of the world and carve out a new 'you'... works a treat

easy
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

. . . is great isn't it!
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Have given up "properly" since Sept 2006... I am a 20 a day girl when I smoke...

I played about with giving up smoking for years and years.. (trying to convince myself that I must give up when I didnt want to really)

Then one day I was hiding behind the bin (my kids used to nag me when they saw me smoking) and not enjoying it anymore yet relentlessly puffing on.. then something inside of me snapped and I just thought "what the hell am I doing?" I don't even like it when I smoke and I don't like me when I give in to it...

So that was that... I missed it (craved it for a while) but just used to get up each day thinking "I am not smoking today".. and days turned into weeks and weeks turned into months, etc etc...

When I talk to my kids about smoking, I just tell them straight.. "don't bother, you saw how much I struggled with giving it up so do yourself a favour and try not to give in to peer pressure"...

Em x
Old May 24th 2009, 3:00 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

So how are we all doing? I am still not smoking- updates please!
Old May 24th 2009, 5:02 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

I always said if i was giving up it would be for good.
We were short of money on returning from our reccie in 2005 and i thought the time was right too.
I just stopped. It nearly killed me and i wanted to kill everyone but that lasted a week.
Then everywhere i looked people were smoking!!
After the first week cold turkey I bought some chewing gum and munched on that and food... but that is another story!!
At first it was so hard you just notice everything about smoking. Then you realise how bloody horrible it looks
The biggest thing you have to have is willpower. If you are not willing to give it your absolute best shot then wait until you are.
All the best,
J x
Old May 24th 2009, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

ozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really nice

Originally Posted by ozbaz
That is exactly true ! Your body just seems to know it doesn't want the crap anymore.

yes, its how I gave up for years without trying and never gave smoking another thought...unfortunately I am back on 5 a day. ( blaming a shit job )Funnily enough I still don't consider myself a 'proper ' smoker, it's a stupid habit.
Old May 25th 2009, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

SamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to all

Has been a month smoke free for me. Hypnosis isn't the be all and end all but has definitely done something cos I've never made it this far before. The weight is creeping on though and to be honest it's bloody hard going. Thinking about it all the time.

God has anyone seen that new TV stop smoking ad that started a couple of nights ago with the pictures of the mouth cancer etc? Horrendous. Those ads never usually got to me (I must confess that with the pictures/warnings on the packets I just used to put my lighter on top of them so I couldn't see them) but this one is pretty bad.
Old May 25th 2009, 1:13 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Good going Squeezzii. The Allen Carr book is the best isn't it. I sometimes think about a cigarette, and then remember "isn't it great, I'm a happy non-smoker" and I really do feel good.
Old May 25th 2009, 1:46 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need patches, books, gum or hypnotism. None of these things are any use if you don't want to give up but just think you should.

The key is to want to give up. Do this before you give up. Then you just become a non smoker, realise you are ill for a couple of weeks while the nicotine works its way out of your system and then you'll be fine.
Old May 25th 2009, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

You have the same philosophy as my OH, when we gave up, he treated it like a bad cold, felt terrible for a week and then got through the worst of it.

Everyone is different though, I didn't feel sick, just suffered with terrible cravings, I am remember on about day 5, just being so angry. I am normally quite easy going, so to be filled rage was strange. Luckily it only lasted a day, then I apologised to everyone at work the next day!

I didn't tell anyone I was quitting, I didn't want all the expectation that comes when you tell people. I just didn't say anything until a few weeks had gone by and we were through the worst of it. I think that helped.

You do really have to want to quit, we tried several times before we were succesfull. Then use whatever method you need, but it really does come down to you. If you really want to quit, you don't need anything else. We were heavy smokers and had been since we were teenagers, so smoking was part of who we were.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.