Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

This SKILLED visa thing is all wrong

Wikiposts

This SKILLED visa thing is all wrong

Old Jan 9th 2008, 11:18 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This SKILLED visa thing is all wrong

Originally Posted by themerlin
It's not the lack of jobs, more the red tape thats the issue.

He might not be able to work cause his shoes are the wrong colour.
That's not red tape, that's red polish.
Oh hang on, all the polish is going to Britain.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix
That's not red tape, that's red polish.
Oh hang on, all the polish is going to Britain.
... altho I think you'll find they've GONE to Britain!
Old Jan 9th 2008, 11:28 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
... altho I think you'll find they've GONE to Britain!
The next few years are going to be pretty lucrative for the UK rental market.
Then it'll go flat when they start returning home with their savings to set up home.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bix
The next few years are going to be pretty lucrative for the UK rental market.
Then it'll go flat when they start returning home with their savings to set up home.
Oh I dunno you know. From what I heard from a few pissed off tradies back there they're sleeping on site so they can save on rent and be ready for the morning!

Personally don't believe it, but IS what I was told! ...
Old Jan 9th 2008, 11:55 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Larlinlisa
i am a little worried my husband is a plasterer and we are looking to come over is there no jobs even though they are crying out for it?

I'm not sure what to tell you, some people come here and all goes fine and getting a job seems relatively easy. For others and I know many many examples seem unable to get a job in their skill/field. There are definately 2 obsticles, one the red tape and the other the fact that dispite what some say on here there is a definate bias to giving jobs to Australians when there is a choice.

The red tape seems to vary depending on the state. Just because you have been accepted on a certain skill there is no guarentee that you will walk into a job using it.

Personally based on whats happened to us there is no way in hell I would come here unless a job was already lined up. If you are comming here and financially need to be in emplyment quickly to survive I would be very nervous.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by arkon
and the other the fact that dispite what some say on here there is a definate bias to giving jobs to Australians when there is a choice.
and this is what we've been told by 1) a recruitment agency where my missus (Admin) was concerned, and 2) a friend who owns a Real Estate co here.

I must admit I do think this is right, but when YOU'RE the outsider I guess you wish it wasn't!

For the Gold Coast anyway (all I can go on!) trades are sooooo in demand they'll take on anyone!

Oh and don't forget the other bit here ... it's not WHAT you know, but WHO you know and have experience with this. Me Nic, and my daughter have all got jobs via a friend, or a friend of a friend in the past, yet not a lot of joy through the likes of SEEK.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 7:55 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Either/Or. I'm not fussy. Just something that is hotter than chicken Korma would be nice.

S
You should try the Indian up in Mona Vale... Had a Vindaloo a couple of weeks back and it took my head clean off...

And I thought I was used to the hot stuff... tried a Madras last week and it was almost as hot...!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:56 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWho
You should try the Indian up in Mona Vale... Had a Vindaloo a couple of weeks back and it took my head clean off...

And I thought I was used to the hot stuff... tried a Madras last week and it was almost as hot...!

Ooooh... Sounds dreamy. Where's Mona Vale?

S
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:16 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooh... Sounds dreamy. Where's Mona Vale?

S
Just up the Northern Beaches...
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:18 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWho
Just up the Northern Beaches...

Ok. I may have to give that a try then.

Also on the lookout for a good Mexican that serves a bowel cleansing chilli...

S
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
and the other the fact that dispite what some say on here there is a definate bias to giving jobs to Australians when there is a choice.
again, may depend whereabouts in the country you are. every place OH has worked he's found they like Poms because they work hard and arent tossing it off or having smokos every half hour.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
again, may depend whereabouts in the country you are. every place OH has worked he's found they like Poms because they work hard and arent tossing it off or having smokos every half hour.

That's exactly what my OH's boss said to him when he went for his interview
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:29 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
That's exactly what my OH's boss said to him when he went for his interview
I've found that to be true not just with pom immigrants but with any immigrant. All new arrivals work hard because we have to, the no benefit clause works well in this instance.
The majority of employers I've worked for would rather have a hard working immigrant than an Aussie that chucks a sickie whenever the surfs up or the fish are biting. This of course could just be due to our location on the coast, though I'm sure it would apply around the entire coastline.
There are a few exceptions as I've also lost work for being a pom, mainly from redneck inbreeds though that hate anyone that isn't "first fleet" descended.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:10 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Either/Or. I'm not fussy. Just something that is hotter than chicken Korma would be nice.

S
Try Bombay Blue on Church St in Parramatta
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:11 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic

Oh and don't forget the other bit here ... it's not WHAT you know, but WHO you know and have experience with this. Me Nic, and my daughter have all got jobs via a friend, or a friend of a friend in the past, yet not a lot of joy through the likes of SEEK.
But that's the same everywhere in the world surely? In the UK it definitely was but because 'you' knew so many more people and people who knew people the jobs appeared more forthcoming. Here it will take years to build up that same sized network so it seems harder now.

We (K) frequently have hot curries. We've never had a problem

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.