Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Silly question: But where do you go on holiday in Australia?

Silly question: But where do you go on holiday in Australia?

Old Oct 12th 2010, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Silly question: But where do you go on holiday in Australia?

Originally Posted by Petals
No Asia for us, we like to take holidays in NZ and also in Aus. We are fortunate that we do not need school holidays so its cheaper then.

We like going away for a week or so in Victoria as there are some lovely parts. Love Tasmania, like South Aus. Been to the Kimberly, Cairns, Brisbane, Sydney.

We are not beach types although we both like to be near the see oh went to sea and I went with him so that is as near as we get to it.
have to agree that Van Diemen's Land is great for an O.S. holiday - with the added attraction of taking your car
Old Oct 12th 2010, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3
How are the schools about taking your kids out of school for a holiday in term time? Would it be "more acceptable" at Kindy/Pre-Primary? (Mum and dad celebrating Golden Anniversary in August next yeear, so will want us to go back if they're not fit enough to come to us).
We have had no problem taking them out of school during term time while they are at primary.They are pretty happy for you to do it.As they head in to secondary it maybe a bit harder.But I know plenty that do it.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3
How are the schools about taking your kids out of school for a holiday in term time? Would it be "more acceptable" at Kindy/Pre-Primary? (Mum and dad celebrating Golden Anniversary in August next yeear, so will want us to go back if they're not fit enough to come to us).

Never had a problem with pulling them out for a week or two end of term. In primary all they were doing was watching videos or cleaning up anyway.

In high, once in gd 10 11 12 they finish the term up to 2 weeks early ( december term) anyway. Pulled one out of gd 9 last year for 2 weeks, he was missing exams, so they just did his grades on term work.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Loads of places to go to in Australia. But, the real cost effective way is to be a camper/hiker. If youre expecting 5 star hotel resort holidays then quickly forget it.

I am a huge hiker so I am happy to spend 6 days doing the Overland Track or the Great Ocean Track. Also spending 4 days camping in the Grampians is fun. Visiting French Island and Phillip Island, Wilson's Promontory, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast Hinterlands, Blue Mountains, Kosciuszko, NSW North Coast, Red Centre, Top End, Tropical North QLD, Whitsundays, All of WA. Bloody heaps to do. But you have to like nature and like to get a bit dirty.

Too many Brits are obsessed with lazy and urban holidays which quite frankly are suicidally depressing.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:19 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Holiday? ... ahh, them were the days!
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

He'll only be in Kindy so can't see it being a big deal.

Glad to know it's OK throughout primary as it'd be nice to take him to e.g. the US for a long trip when the weather's not absolutely freezing.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
And thats just in WA! Your moving to a continent bigger than western Europe and more diverse. Loads to see and do in Oz

Bali is probably the most popular place for Perth people to go outside Oz and deal are pretty cheap.
I'd have to admit and say it's diverse in that you can tick the boxes - rainforest, diving, city, country, alps, but it's not as varied (Copyright Mike Stanton 2004) as Europe.

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We went to Phuket last year ($375 return airfares, $70/night incl. breafast 4-star hotel). There were loads of Aussies (from all over the country) staying in our hotel. All said that the reason they were there was that Australia was too expensive.
Never! I always thought that Australians did not see their own country as being expensive?

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
Loads of places to go to in Australia. But, the real cost effective way is to be a camper/hiker. If youre expecting 5 star hotel resort holidays then quickly forget it.

I am a huge hiker so I am happy to spend 6 days doing the Overland Track or the Great Ocean Track. Also spending 4 days camping in the Grampians is fun. Visiting French Island and Phillip Island, Wilson's Promontory, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast Hinterlands, Blue Mountains, Kosciuszko, NSW North Coast, Red Centre, Top End, Tropical North QLD, Whitsundays, All of WA. Bloody heaps to do. But you have to like nature and like to get a bit dirty.

Too many Brits are obsessed with lazy and urban holidays which quite frankly are suicidally depressing.
I agree. I don't like city breaks - and there's Melbourne for that! My wife and I have discovered hiking and camping as something we both enjoy - and it's great here - especially in Victoria with distances to national parks and ranges not so far, and a holiday home on a beach only an hour away. Infact, those places are more accessible than say the West Country, Scotland or even Brighton on a Friday night.

Edit - not our holiday home -access to a holiday home...can't be seen to be misleading the board...eh..

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Oct 12th 2010 at 9:29 am.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:28 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Perth and I've flown overseas twice. Both times alone. First time was because my father was dying and second time was supposed to be a holiday for my daughter and I but she lost out due to acting like a dickhead. On my own I've been to Melbourne Adelaide and Sydney for conferences.

As a family we've gone to Adelaide for 10 days 3 years ago and once we took the train down to Mandurah for a day. Whoopie doo!
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Never had a problem with pulling them out for a week or two end of term. In primary all they were doing was watching videos or cleaning up anyway.
Gee - my kids did more than that at pre-kinder.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

angel659 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your help. There are plenty of places to go and see. I think its such a big step and knowing you pretty much are in a good location in the UK, it shows what you can and see in Oz. I just need to start saving and decide whether I want a sponsorship on a temporary visa or wait until I have the experience to wait for a permanent residency visa.