Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Silly question: But where do you go on holiday in Australia?

Silly question: But where do you go on holiday in Australia?

Old Oct 11th 2010, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

angel659 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Silly question: But where do you go on holiday in Australia?

Hi,

My husband and I are wanting to move to Perth. However, my husband has a few concerns with regards once we are in Australia we are pretty much going to be holidaying in Oz.

Has anyone found this to be a problem?

Many thanks.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

GreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to all
Default Re: Silly question: But where do you go on holiday in Australia?

Originally Posted by angel659
Hi,

My husband and I are wanting to move to Perth. However, my husband has a few concerns with regards once we are in Australia we are pretty much going to be holidaying in Oz.

Has anyone found this to be a problem?

Many thanks.
We moved to Sydney. Yes you are restricted in the sense you do not have the easy and cheap flights as in Europe . However with the strong Australian dollar, there are plenty of close options e.g. NZ, the Pacific Islands, and even SE Asia .

From Perth you are in a good spot to explore SE Asia as well as the Western Australian coastline.

There is plenty to do in Oz and it is a big country to get around in so we certainly have not been bored so far. It is a continent with a huge variety of landscapes, climates etc .
Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:22 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Thailand and Bali are popular. For example 4 hours from Perth to Bali.

Think south east asia, which frankly is much more appealing than Spain..
Old Oct 12th 2010, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

And from Perth there are great places in Oz to see and things to do. We often head down to Margaret River. I particularly love it there in winter and hire a cottage with a big log fire.

From there there is Albany and Walpole with the valley of the giants to explore.

North, every thing from Monkey Mia, Ningaloo Reef and swimming with whale sharks or giant manta rays, off road driving in the Kimberly and a thousand other things to see and do.

And thats just in WA! Your moving to a continent bigger than western Europe and more diverse. Loads to see and do in Oz

Bali is probably the most popular place for Perth people to go outside Oz and deal are pretty cheap.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 1:08 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Our faves are Exmouth (Ningaloo Reef), Bussleton, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast. Loads of West Aussies holiday in Bali too.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 1:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Mainly Asia for us - Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong but NZ in December (using Qantas FF). Apart from an annual camping trip, I find Australia too expensive to holiday in.

Air Asia have a seat sale on tomorrow - we went to London for just over $700 return booked during one of their sales last year.

Check it out.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 1:40 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Mainly Asia for us - Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong but NZ in December (using Qantas FF). Apart from an annual camping trip, I find Australia too expensive to holiday in.

Air Asia have a seat sale on tomorrow - we went to London for just over $700 return booked during one of their sales last year.

Check it out.
Absolutely - Australia is a frankly a rip off when I compare what I get with my money overseas. Even more so now given the silly exchange rates. It's too expensive to live here, never mind go on vacation
Old Oct 12th 2010, 1:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Absolutely - Australia is a frankly a rip off when I compare what I get with my money overseas. Even more so now given the silly exchange rates. It's too expensive to live here, never mind go on vacation
We went to Phuket last year ($375 return airfares, $70/night incl. breafast 4-star hotel). There were loads of Aussies (from all over the country) staying in our hotel. All said that the reason they were there was that Australia was too expensive.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 2:31 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I'll do weekends in Australia, but basically, other than that I have practically zero interest in longer domestic holidays. The main reason being that I've seen enough of it now to just find it very, very homegenous...climate, landscape etc may change, but I'd still be very much in Australia...and with 4 weeks leave a year, I'd rather spend it seeking out something a bit different...even if 'a bit different' means some tacky resort in Thailand!

Now this isn't 'anti-Australia' - I wouldn't spend a week on holiday in the UK if I lived there either.

Perth seems to be a hub for quick low cost overseas options so I wouldn't worry.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Will probably also do more asia at some point but have seen a lot of it previously - i lived in Bangkok for a while. Holidays in Oz are expensive, but it just seems a shame not to and my roster means its very easy to go away for long weekend.

The cost saved by going away are also partly lost by having to pay for the dog to be looked after compared to staying in Oz and taking him with us
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Staying in OZ is V expensive and OS from OZ is a bit of a problem if your not into asian holidays. weve done a few but its more heat and many asian cities/beaches are a pretty much like other asian cities/beaches.

I am really shocked at the moment, we have UK folk out this year, and its all based in melbourne, were at the FIL but looking for hotel for family with small kids, OMBG !!! the price of rooms that will take 4 in a room around December.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Been here over 5 years now, still feels like i'm on holiday 24/7 aside from the work bit in between. No dreary monotonous days like in England.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:44 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

South Pacific Island's, Vanuatu, Fiji, Cook Islands, I would love to go to Bora Bora next.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

No Asia for us, we like to take holidays in NZ and also in Aus. We are fortunate that we do not need school holidays so its cheaper then.

We like going away for a week or so in Victoria as there are some lovely parts. Love Tasmania, like South Aus. Been to the Kimberly, Cairns, Brisbane, Sydney.

We are not beach types although we both like to be near the see oh went to sea and I went with him so that is as near as we get to it.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

How are the schools about taking your kids out of school for a holiday in term time? Would it be "more acceptable" at Kindy/Pre-Primary? (Mum and dad celebrating Golden Anniversary in August next yeear, so will want us to go back if they're not fit enough to come to us).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.