Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Shrimps On The Barbie

Shrimps On The Barbie

Old Mar 15th 2024, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shrimps On The Barbie

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article...ly-adopted-evs
You may well be right, although it's early days... Here is a link to a BBC report on EVs in the USA, from a few months ago. The situation may have changed a bit since then, of course.

My son has a Tesla in Norway, where he adjusts his re-charge needs to his daily routine. But it has broken down a few times, so he has a Nissan Leaf for just-in-case!
You do realise that the Leaf is just another electric car...?

It's not like he's had to go back to some ICE option to cope with his Tesla issues.
Old Mar 15th 2024, 2:45 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner

It's not like he's had to go back to some ICE option to cope with his Tesla issues.
sssshhhhh! You're not supposed to rain on the parade!
Old Mar 15th 2024, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner
Well, yes, actually! And more reliable than the Tesla, though not as fancy.
Old Mar 19th 2024, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, yes, actually! And more reliable than the Tesla, though not as fancy.
We (by accident) visited a pub back in 2016 in Derbyshire and found out it was the highest pub in Derbyshire we went to an antique fair in Buxton and had a drive “over the tops” into Staffordshire (not far from Buxton) and visited a pub which turned out to be the highest pub and village in the UK, we had again by coincidence visited a pub in Cheshire in one of our visited back to the UK which turned out to be the highest pub in Cheshire, we are now going to visit the highest pubs in Lancashire and Yorkshire but what I want to know is where would your highest pub be? ps and it is not to be in a high rise building lol
Old Mar 25th 2024, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Chatting on the phone yesterday with an old friend in his 80s, we marvelled that our old age is bringing out the best in people. We hobble along with our walking-sticks, secure in the knowledge that if we fall over (God forbid!) there will be ten or fifteen people rushing to help us up and dust us down. I attribute this security to the small-island community I live in, but he lives in New York and is equally confident.

When we encounter closed doors, somebody always leaps to hold them open. At the supermarket, idle youngsters jostle to bring us trolleys, and offer to help with our shopping bags.

It's very heart-warming. There is hope for the world, after all.
Old Apr 12th 2024, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Victoria.html
What do our barbie pundits think about this news story - a proposal to exempt aborigines from certain taxes, as part of a reparations deal? Wouldn't it just cause more ill will between them and everybody else?

(I don't live in Australia any more, but I follow what happens there, and have friends and family there.)
Old Apr 12th 2024, 8:03 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Victoria.html
What do our barbie pundits think about this news story - a proposal to exempt aborigines from certain taxes, as part of a reparations deal? Wouldn't it just cause more ill will between them and everybody else?

(I don't live in Australia any more, but I follow what happens there, and have friends and family there.)
Not sure there are many left around these parts - and even less that will click on a DM UK link
Old Apr 17th 2024, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Not sure there are many left around these parts - and even less that will click on a DM UK link
I'm not sure if you mean "not many left around these parts" barbie pundits or aborigines. Judging by the maps I see in the online newspapers, there are huge areas of Australia being set aside for their***** use, though not around Adelaide, perhaps. And the DM also has an Australian section, and a US one. All very handy.
***** Aborigines' use, not barbie pundits'!
Old Apr 17th 2024, 8:24 am

I'm not sure if you mean "not many left around these parts" barbie pundits or aborigines. Judging by the maps I see in the online newspapers, there are huge areas of Australia being set aside for their***** use, though not around Adelaide, perhaps. And the DM also has an Australian section, and a US one. All very handy.
***** Aborigines' use, not barbie pundits'!
I meant pundits - sorry if that was not obvious
Old Apr 17th 2024, 12:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I meant pundits - sorry if that was not obvious
Perfectly clear to me! And I wouldn't give a DM link houseroom, not in any of the worldwide editions, they are all as trashy as each other.
Old Apr 18th 2024, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

scotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nice

I would agree based on what I see at work.
Rooftop solar + EV seems a match made in heaven for Oz. It can work all year round. Not so for Northern Europe unfortunately.
Old Apr 18th 2024, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Perfectly clear to me! And I wouldn't give a DM link houseroom, not in any of the worldwide editions, they are all as trashy as each other.
Quite
Old Apr 18th 2024, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Oh dear! I really don't think we can afford to be too snobby about linking to newspaper reports. The Daily Mail is indeed a rag, but so much of the mainstream media is, these days. The DM doesn't carry much news that the others don't. It's edited by semi-literates, yes, and its content is written for people of that kind. But the nature of that content is pretty much the same as in more highly regarded papers. Most of them share the DM's tolerance of the genocide in Palestine, for instance, and encouragement of the anti-Russia bloodbath in Ukraine. ( I say "tolerance" there, because most of the reports regard the genocide as "going a bit too far this time", instead of the monstrous and unforgivable wickedness that it is. And I say "encouragement" because of the broad tribal loyalty to the wretched NATO gang in all circumstances.)

This theme began with my link to an article on Australian aborigines. You (Polly) didn't say whether you read it or not. Did you? And if so do you have an opinion about it?
Old Apr 21st 2024, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not sure there are many left around these parts...
"... barbie pundits..." gotcha. Around the BE website, there seems to be a general belief in the decline of membership numbers (pundits). Can nothing be done to reverse the decline? Nothing from the floor, of course, but is the administration also resigned to the decline? Is the decline irreversible? And I suppose the next inevitable question must be "Does it matter?"

I myself think it does matter, insofar as it's always worth while enabling an exchange of opinions. Regrettably, perhaps, some of the opinions are snarky; but that's a natural part of any exchange of opinions. What does the "Shrimps on the Barbie" team think?