Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Shrimps On The Barbie

Shrimps On The Barbie

Old Sep 11th 2023, 1:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shrimps On The Barbie

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Not to mention that when starting a thread there are two views instantly
Yep. And if a post/thread gets reported to mods, lots of us will look at it, plus then it sometimes gets discussed amongst ourselves which means a lot of other mods will look at it, and site admin too - could be as many as 50 views just from that one reported post. And then we'll often follow the thread in question to check each time something new is posted in it, to make sure the same issue isn't happening again. So could be hundreds of views in total, just from mods who aren't remotely interested in the thread but are just following up on one little report.
Old Sep 11th 2023, 2:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yep. And if a post/thread gets reported to mods, lots of us will look at it, plus then it sometimes gets discussed amongst ourselves which means a lot of other mods will look at it, and site admin too - could be as many as 50 views just from that one reported post. And then we'll often follow the thread in question to check each time something new is posted in it, to make sure the same issue isn't happening again. So could be hundreds of views in total, just from mods who aren't remotely interested in the thread but are just following up on one little report.
Views = Seahorse babies

Old Sep 11th 2023, 3:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Views = Seahorse babies

Old Sep 11th 2023, 4:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Having been recently deleting old emails from Mod days, I know only too well that some posts got reported many many times - especially in threads like this! And back in the day the Aus forum sometimes had 7 Mods, plus 4/5 Supermods, none of whom would know that the 20 reports in their inbox were all for the same post where someone was touting his own website, having already been told to stop twice before in the same week........A thread could go from zero to over 1000 in less than an hour - if anyone could be bothered to look at meaningless figures. We didn't have time, we were too busy reprimanding people for causing us to have full inboxes, again!
Ah I almost miss the good old days........
Old Sep 11th 2023, 4:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Having been recently deleting old emails from Mod days, I know only too well that some posts got reported many many times - especially in threads like this! And back in the day the Aus forum sometimes had 7 Mods, plus 4/5 Supermods, none of whom would know that the 20 reports in their inbox were all for the same post where someone was touting his own website, having already been told to stop twice before in the same week........A thread could go from zero to over 1000 in less than an hour - if anyone could be bothered to look at meaningless figures. We didn't have time, we were too busy reprimanding people for causing us to have full inboxes, again!
Ah I almost miss the good old days........
Oh yes! Have to confess I've never looked at the thread stats after it's been reported to see how that compares to a 'normal' thread, but zero to over 1000 in an hour really wouldn't surprise me.

You sure you don't miss it too much and want to come back?!
Old Sep 11th 2023, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a job for AI!
Old Sep 11th 2023, 5:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Finknottle
Sounds like a job for AI!
We're suddenly getting lots of AI spammers now too, ridiculously wordy posts without much point to them, and they keep posting until we spot them and get rid. Really annoying and it'll only increase I think.
Old Sep 11th 2023, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

We're suddenly getting lots of AI spammers now too, ridiculously wordy posts without much point to them, and they keep posting until we spot them and get rid. Really annoying and it'll only increase I think.
Set a thief to catch a thief!
Old Sep 11th 2023, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

I am surprised about the huge promotion of ChatGPT and its threat to jobs. A lot of what it says is just banal and very easy to spot. It is not ready to take over the world yet.
Old Sep 11th 2023, 6:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by philat98
I am surprised about the huge promotion of ChatGPT and its threat to jobs. A lot of what it says is just banal and very easy to spot. It is not ready to take over the world yet.
And that's exactly why they're easy to spot at the moment - daft wordy posts without any real purpose to them, almost like they've just copied and pasted from Wikipedia. I'm sure they'll get more clever as time goes by though…...
Old Sep 11th 2023, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

They are bots, non-human, but my point is there is no way of distinguishing them from human visitors. Each visit counts, regardless of who is behind that visit.

And I'm not technical at all, or any kind of 'expert'. I just have websites for my businesses so understand the basics of spam/spambots, and know how much traffic they generate. I'm sure you have the same with your blog. There's also various other sources, for example a BE thread could be linked to elsewhere on the internet, and that will generate a lot of traffic from non-forum members for whatever reason.

I don't really understand why we have the stats anyway tbh, I think they must have been added back when the forum was in its infancy and before spambots or mass spam attacks were a thing, so they were perhaps more relevant/accurate then. Now they're just pointless so essentially you need to just ignore them.
Ahhh, well done. You anticipated my next question, and answered it. Thank you again! The question was to have been, "If robots' visits can't in any way be distinguished from humans', then what is the point or purpose of reporting the number of visits? To which the answer is, "probably none". I agree. (The only point or purpose I can even imagine is "to please the advertisers", and that is way too naughty to consider!)

The only human visits that we can be certain of are the posts. So wouldn't the number of posts be enough to publish? Of the 1,868,170 "views" reported for the thread "What made you smile today?" in the Lounge Forum - for instance - only 30,240 visits can be verified, during the thread's 13.5 years of existence. Well, really!! As a former professional auditor, I would need to see some evidence of other human visits, and (as we agree) there is none available. We are reduced to what in my neck of the woods is called a Wild-Ass Guess to enlarge the figure, and WAGs are rather frowned upon in my profession, and probably yours too, CO. What do you reckon?

Old Sep 11th 2023, 10:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Ahhh, well done. You anticipated my next question, and answered it. Thank you again! The question was to have been, "If robots' visits can't in any way be distinguished from humans', then what is the point or purpose of reporting the number of visits? To which the answer is, "probably none". I agree. (The only point or purpose I can even imagine is "to please the advertisers", and that is way too naughty to consider!)

The only human visits that we can be certain of are the posts. So wouldn't the number of posts be enough to publish? Of the 1,868,170 "views" reported for the thread "What made you smile today?" in the Lounge Forum - for instance - only 30,240 visits can be verified, during the thread's 13.5 years of existence. Well, really!! As a former professional auditor, I would need to see some evidence of other human visits, and (as we agree) there is none available. We are reduced to what in my neck of the woods is called a Wild-Ass Guess to enlarge the figure, and WAGs are rather frowned upon in my profession, and probably yours too, CO. What do you reckon?
I reckon you're taking this waaaaay too seriously in all honesty. Why does it even matter? The advertisers won't need thread views, as they're irrelevant to them, they won't show individual views v returning views etc - they'll just use site statistics via analytics which would be much more reliable.
Old Sep 12th 2023, 2:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon you're taking this waaaaay too seriously in all honesty. Why does it even matter? The advertisers won't need thread views, as they're irrelevant to them, they won't show individual views v returning views etc - they'll just use site statistics via analytics which would be much more reliable.

Oh yes! Have to confess I've never looked at the thread stats after it's been reported to see how that compares to a 'normal' thread, but zero to over 1000 in an hour really wouldn't surprise me.

You sure you don't miss it too much and want to come back?!
Very tempting actually...,..usual terms, cash in a plain brown envelope........
Old Sep 13th 2023, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Virtue-signalling is what we used to call "sucking up"
To whom?
Woke is more or less the same thing - pretending to be "holier than thou"
In relation to what, exactly?
Provocative is "looking for trouble" in an argument
. Well that, at least, is pretty much always true, but who's provoking who with what is always subjective, IMHO

The use of native place-names is fine and inoffensive in Wales where there are plenty of natives who use their own written language. But my context was that Canadian Skwxwu7mesh. There, the native Indians (American-Indians that is, of course) didn't have a written language - to the best of my knowledge. If they have had one all their lives, I'd bet it didn't have the figure 7 as one of its letters.

The transliteration of oral-tradition languages often has novel (to modern English) representation of glottal stops. Per Wikipedia, "the glottal stop or glottal plosive is a type of consonantal sound used in many spoken languages, produced by obstructing airflow in the vocal tract or, more precisely, the glottis."

Wikipedia goes on: "Some Canadian indigenous languages, especially some of the Salishan languages, have adopted the IPA letter ⟨ʔ⟩ into their orthographies. In some of them, it occurs as a casing pair, ⟨Ɂ⟩ and ⟨ɂ⟩.[6] The digit ⟨7⟩ or a question mark is sometimes substituted for ⟨ʔ⟩, and is preferred in languages such as Squamish."

Oh, and in case you thought that "glottal stops" were foreign to the British Isles...
"In English, the glottal stop occurs as an open juncture (for example, between the vowel sounds in uh-oh!,[9]) and allophonically in t-glottalization. In British English, the glottal stop is most familiar in the Cockney pronunciation of "butter" as "bu'er". Geordie English often uses glottal stops for t, k, and p, and has a unique form of glottalization."

"It occurs phonetically in nearly all dialects of English, as an allophone of /t/ in the syllable coda. Speakers of Cockney, Scottish English and several other British dialects also pronounce an intervocalic /t/ between vowels as in city. In Received Pronunciation, a glottal stop is inserted before a tautosyllabic voiceless stop: stoʼp, thaʼt, knoʼck, waʼtch, also leaʼp, soaʼk, helʼp, pinʼch"

[Late edit... I should probably have used the word "pandering" somewhere in the "Woke" explanation.]
It seems you were pandering to those unaware of the richness of language-pronunciation tradition even within English, let alone within other languages, Gordon. Does that make you "woke", then? ;-)
Old Sep 13th 2023, 11:28 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.