Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Should children be allowed in airline Lounges?

View Poll Results: Should children be allowed in airline Lounges?
Yes
38.16%
No
9.21%
There should be tethering points just outside the door
11.84%
Only if gagged and kept on a lead
18.42%
They should be checked in as hold luggage
22.37%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Should children be allowed in airline Lounges?

Old May 8th 2011, 5:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should children be allowed in airline Lounges?

Originally Posted by Japonica
But seeing as the majority of the population (according to the polls) don't have a problem with nursing in public, then this is unlikely to happen.
Exactly. Its just him being devil's advocate again. The only reason I would leave would be if a nursing mum was making it too obvious, and was sat too close and this made me feel uncomfortable, I would be surprised if i felt that way, but if i did, I'd leave, I wouldn't expect her to.

Originally Posted by Kim67
I have a violinst, a cellist, sing, dance, act - was the reason they behaved so well at these performances because they were born loving and excelling in the arts, or is that they were exposed to the arts at a very young age. Nobody can answer this question but people under estimate a child's ability to behave appropriately in public.
My sister's kids are much the same; they've grown up in a musical family, and also a family that attends church a lot. They somehow learnt very early how to behave at events like that, and how to be quiet and considerate. The older two were more fidgety when they were small o went to fewer places and left early more often. The younger one soon realised that if she made a racket she missed out on wherever the other two were off to; though at only a few months old I did have to remove her from her own christening due to the unholy row she made!! Watching each other in performances, and performing themselves, has taught them an appreciation of a quiet audience.
And a responsible parent makes that judgement day by day I guess - there are always going to be times when the best behaved child gets fidgety - so on those days my sister would stay away with whichever child; something that I'm sure you've done as well on occasion, Kim. Its all about balance, and consideration - on all sides.
Old May 8th 2011, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseR
I get what you mean about noisy babies in inappropriate places but a quiet baby has the right to be fed (breast or bottle) wherever it is. If it's a nice restaurant and the baby is doing nothing to disturb others than being fed then people have no right to expect the woman and baby to leave. If you have a problem with that then you should leave.
How would you feel about being in a restaurant, having a meal, with a couple of naturists eating a meal and minding their own business at another table?
Old May 8th 2011, 6:25 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
How would you feel about being in a restaurant, having a meal, with a couple of naturists eating a meal and minding their own business at another table?
In this weather there'd not be a lot to see anyway.
Old May 8th 2011, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

That is indecent exposure. There are laws against being naked in a public place. The law allows breastfeeding women to feed where ever they need to.
Old May 8th 2011, 6:37 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

That is indecent exposure. There are laws against being naked in a public place.
Depends just where you live, for someone to be charged with 'indecent exposure' in the UK, there has to be some sort of sexual connotation, just being naked isn't a crime, the only thing you could be charged with would be 'breach of the peace'. Laws were changed in around 2000, I was a member of two groups that were asked to give evidence to the select committee that was working on this. I also made personal representation via my MP.
Old May 8th 2011, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Depends just where you live, for someone to be charged with 'indecent exposure' in the UK, there has to be some sort of sexual connotation, just being naked isn't a crime, the only thing you could be charged with would be 'breach of the peace'. Laws were changed in around 2000, I was a member of two groups that were asked to give evidence to the select committee that was working on this. I also made personal representation via my MP.
I didn't say what law you would be held under. I just said there are laws against being naked in a public place. If someone walked into a restaurant naked and the police were called the person would be arrested or removed. If someone called the police because a woman was breastfeeding her baby, nothing would happen.
Old May 8th 2011, 6:48 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't say what law you would be held under. I just said there are laws against being naked in a public place. If someone walked into a restaurant naked and the police were called the person would be arrested or removed. If someone called the police because a woman was breastfeeding her baby, nothing would happen.
QuoteThat is indecent exposure.Quote

Sorry, but you said it was 'indecent exposure' in your post
Old May 8th 2011, 6:51 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Live and let live. Would love to ogle but naturists are usually on the plump side.
Old May 8th 2011, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikelincs
QuoteThat is indecent exposure.Quote

Sorry, but you said it was 'indecent exposure' in your post
Sorry I just meant that they were indecently exposed not that that was the law governing it but I get why you thought that
Old May 8th 2011, 8:37 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Naturists tend to be over fifty and very unkempt. Hygiene and stray hairs would be a major issue. Your comparison is bizarre and invalid.

Old May 8th 2011, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I get what you mean about noisy babies in inappropriate places but a quiet baby has the right to be fed (breast or bottle) wherever it is. If it's a nice restaurant and the baby is doing nothing to disturb others than being fed then people have no right to expect the woman and baby to leave. If you have a problem with that then you should leave.
I believe I have said throughout this thread, that I would leave. For reasons I cannot quite fathom, my leaving seems to be a problem for some. Apparently I should endure regardless of my own discomfort.

Nice to see that someone gets the point about noisy babies in inappropriate places; earlier I was told I cannot comment as I have "no experience" which considering I have clearly shared my experience can only be translated as my experience is not considered relevant, is a non-experience if you like, presumably because it is not from the perspective of a parent. Which really only adds to the observation that some parents think they are the only people that matter.
Old May 8th 2011, 10:30 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Naturists tend to be over fifty and very unkempt. Hygiene and stray hairs would be a major issue. Your comparison is bizarre and invalid.
Yer average queenslander then,at any age
Old May 8th 2011, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I believe I have said throughout this thread, that I would leave. For reasons I cannot quite fathom, my leaving seems to be a problem for some. Apparently I should endure regardless of my own discomfort.

Nice to see that someone gets the point about noisy babies in inappropriate places; earlier I was told I cannot comment as I have "no experience" which considering I have clearly shared my experience can only be translated as my experience is not considered relevant, is a non-experience if you like, presumably because it is not from the perspective of a parent. Which really only adds to the observation that some parents think they are the only people that matter.
You just don't get it do you? Quiet kid, no noise, why do you give a hoot. You're not qualified to give advice on how to express, breast feed and raise children when you have no actual hands on experience. You have experienced noisy, inconsiderate people, that doesn't mean all of us behave in the same way.
Old May 8th 2011, 10:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Yer average queenslander then,at any age
What? Bizarre and invalid?
Old May 8th 2011, 11:55 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Many women are discreet when they breastfeed, some are not so and make huge displays of whipping out their boob and feeding their child almost daring someone to say something.

Many parents keep their children under control and away from annoying other people, their kids are well behaved and a pleasure to be around, but some parents think you should love their kids as they love them, think it is cute and endearing for their child to pester you, poke you, generally be a pain when in fact not everyone is good around children or likes having them up close to them.

Personally if I am in a restaurant I wouldnt notice someone breastfeeding unless they flopped out their tits on the table and fed their kid. I do however, notice if my table is being knocked, kids running round the restaurant being loud and annoying and banging into tables. Dad and I were in a restaurant the week before he went home and there were some really naughty kids in there, parents didnt even use the word 'no' and allowed them to pull glasses of the tables and when one of the toddlers tripped over by my table when she was being chased by her brother, our bottle of wine very nearly got knocked over with her and I bet the mother would not have been happy.

But saying that, parents cannot tell if their child is going to behave when they take them out, but at least some of them nip it in the bud.

There are good and bad parents everywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.