Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Should children be allowed in airline Lounges?

View Poll Results: Should children be allowed in airline Lounges?
Yes
38.16%
No
9.21%
There should be tethering points just outside the door
11.84%
Only if gagged and kept on a lead
18.42%
They should be checked in as hold luggage
22.37%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Should children be allowed in airline Lounges?

Old May 6th 2011, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should children be allowed in airline Lounges?

Originally Posted by LouiseR
The ones who think formula is poison and that bottle feeding is akin to to child abuse

Scary ladies indeed!
whoa! Haven't encountered any...

PS: Both me and my sis as well as hubby and his siblings were bottle fed as babies!
Old May 6th 2011, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
whoa! Haven't encountered any...

PS: Both me and my sis as well as hubby and his siblings were bottle fed as babies!
My 1st child was bottle fed. Tried breastfeeding but just couldn't get the hang of it! 2nd baby I had to do nothing, she took to it so easily
Old May 6th 2011, 11:27 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Then tell them you had a Caesar.

The ones who think formula is poison and that bottle feeding is akin to to child abuse

Scary ladies indeed!
Old May 6th 2011, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itigo
Breast feeding in public - restaurants etc? Of course it's fine! When a baby is feeding, there is no need for it to be indiscreet. If I did it, I always made sure I was facing away from the majority of people and slung a muslin over us for more discretion.

The way some of you talk, it's as though it's something dirty. And babies aren't predictable - sometimes you can time it, other times they demand feeds closer together so comments about eating out around baby aren't helpful either.

So do you 'no to breastfeeding in public' brigade think that women should be confined until they are no longer breastfeeding? How depressing..........
I wonder if the people in the restaurant would prefer a baby hollering bloody murder at the top of its lungs instead...oh look, it's not being breastfed...no exposed boobs here...you can all go back to your lunches now...never mind that you'll have to scream across the table to be heard.

Seriously, I wonder at the idiocy sometimes...and yes, I suspect these individuals want all nursing mothers under house arrest until the babies are weaned.
Old May 6th 2011, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

My 1st child was bottle fed. Tried breastfeeding but just couldn't get the hang of it! 2nd baby I had to do nothing, she took to it so easily
I did it (apart from all the good reasons) because it is so bl00dy convenient (esp for someone like me as I used to be one lazy bum, couldn't imagine getting up in the middle of night to prepare feeds)
Old May 6th 2011, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Japonica
I wonder if the people in the restaurant would prefer a baby hollering bloody murder at the top of its lungs instead.
I remember it worked like a charm [cork] to shut them up whenever they threatened to scream!
Old May 6th 2011, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
I remember it worked like a charm [cork] to shut them up whenever they threatened to scream!
Hmm...quiet child being fed discretely or starving child screaming...what a choice. And the same ones who give you looks for nursing in public will also stare you down for bringing a squalling brat out of the house...it's a no win really. The irony is...all the kid haters are going to need the younger generation eventually...who's going to spoon feed them their porridge in the care facility? If they think that they're going to get by without the help of anyone younger in the years to come, well, that's a nice illusion for them...
Old May 7th 2011, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
Yep, you get dickhead soldiers (usually American
Be careful what you say. You might offend some of BEs' Americans...
Old May 7th 2011, 5:20 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Expressing milk is a lot of work and comes with risks if all the equipment (including bottles and teats) are not sterilised properly. I took my oldest to nice restaurants all the time, she slept most of the time and if she woke for a feed, I fed her and back in the pram, push it with my foot for a second and off she'd go again. No inconvenience to anyone but me. My kids were all born long after my parents had died, I have never lived in the same city as siblings or in-laws since having kids and I don't believe in babysitters unless I know them really well. It has nothing to do with my needs above anyone else's, I just don't see what's so upsetting for you to have a child or baby in a restaurant.
Expressing is not always possible either. I could express brilliantly with the boy, but with the lass, I was lucky to get 5 mls each time. I put it down to the fact that they both fed in very different ways. We are in a similar boat, no family nearby, and hubby who works away, so I had to learn to feed in all sorts of places.

And babies don't feed to order. Yes, after a while, there is a pattern...which lasts until the next growth spurt, sniffle, teething and all manner of things that will upset any routine you try to get into.
Old May 7th 2011, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itigo
Breast feeding in public - restaurants etc? Of course it's fine! When a baby is feeding, there is no need for it to be indiscreet. If I did it, I always made sure I was facing away from the majority of people and slung a muslin over us for more discretion.

The way some of you talk, it's as though it's something dirty. And babies aren't predictable - sometimes you can time it, other times they demand feeds closer together so comments about eating out around baby aren't helpful either.

So do you 'no to breastfeeding in public' brigade think that women should be confined until they are no longer breastfeeding? How depressing..........
Seems like the 'anti' people get a warm glow of satisfaction from putting a stop to the whole filthy business

They have no concept of the mechanics of it, the feedback involved, how the milk itself changes in response to the baby's needs.

Very strange reaction to a lovely thing.
Old May 7th 2011, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
Expressing is not always possible either. I could express brilliantly with the boy, but with the lass, I was lucky to get 5 mls each time. I put it down to the fact that they both fed in very different ways. We are in a similar boat, no family nearby, and hubby who works away, so I had to learn to feed in all sorts of places.

And babies don't feed to order. Yes, after a while, there is a pattern...which lasts until the next growth spurt, sniffle, teething and all manner of things that will upset any routine you try to get into.
I had gallons of milk but found expressing difficult and rather humiliating. The 2 ways of sucking are completely different and confuse the baby, and you have to do all that stupid sterilizing. Just so the tool bloke can feel more secure.
Old May 7th 2011, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I had gallons of milk but found expressing difficult and rather humiliating. The 2 ways of sucking are completely different and confuse the baby, and you have to do all that stupid sterilizing. Just so the tool bloke can feel more secure.
Yeah, my babies wouldn't actually take a bottle - didn't like the teat, didn't have a dummy. I remember when I had to ween my middle one because I was going into hospital to have surgery when he was nine months, I had to starve the poor little bugger for 24 hours before he'd take a bottle. The doctor said he'd have to be admitted to hospital and be tube fed if he didn't take the bottle that day.
Old May 7th 2011, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

westwind is a jewel in the roughwestwind is a jewel in the roughwestwind is a jewel in the roughwestwind is a jewel in the rough

I like the comment that was made by a cabin crew member to a particularly loud, obnoxious little kid who was making life hell for the other passengers on a long haul flight- "Little boy, would you like to go and play outside?"
Old May 7th 2011, 3:24 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by westwind
I like the comment that was made by a cabin crew member to a particularly loud, obnoxious little kid who was making life hell for the other passengers on a long haul flight- "Little boy, would you like to go and play outside?"
Old May 7th 2011, 4:14 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
Hmm...quiet child being fed discretely or starving child screaming...what a choice. And the same ones who give you looks for nursing in public will also stare you down for bringing a squalling brat out of the house...it's a no win really. The irony is...all the kid haters are going to need the younger generation eventually...who's going to spoon feed them their porridge in the care facility? If they think that they're going to get by without the help of anyone younger in the years to come, well, that's a nice illusion for them...
"Discreetly" is the operative phrase here, and I would also add "in appropriate places".

Unfortunately a certain number of women don't accept this and, like the Senator who brought her baby into the senate, try to make a "progressive" point.

I'm sure you didn't mean it but your post unintentionally shows this: either *WE* have to put up with possibly uncomfortable situations or *WE* must endure screaming children. Nothing about *YOU* accepting the restrictions to *YOUR* life that is inherent in raising children, your choice.

The breakdown in discipline that "parents" (and the quotes are mine) have allowed in recent years is only too apparent every time one goes out today - not only in airport lounges, which is the thread's topic. From yelling fits and tantrums in the supermarket to punch-ups on the school playing field with both fathers and children involved it's only too obvious. I pity the poor parents who do have standards and see their efforts undermined wherever they look.

We were threatened with a punchup when complaining, in the IKEA* cafeteria, that it was inappropriate to change a baby's overflowing nappy on the next table a couple of feet away from where we were (up until then) enjoying Swedish meatballs in gravy. With "parents" like that, who can wonder what the children turn out like?

*Yes, I know - my one and only visit to IKEA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.