Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Shipping stuff back from UK

Shipping stuff back from UK

Old Mar 14th 2023, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping stuff back from UK

Recommendations please - good, reliable, preferably cheap, company to ship 'stuff' over from the UK. Doesn't need to be fast.

Am visiting family in June for the first time since emigrating in 2012, and I think I really should do something about the stuff I left at my mum's! Cricket great, some clothes, skydiving gear (don't we all have that?!) etc. so not super super heavy stuff, but more than I can get into the surplus of my 25kg allowance with Singapore Airlines.

Cheers
Old Mar 16th 2023, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping stuff back from UK

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
Recommendations please - good, reliable, preferably cheap, company to ship 'stuff' over from the UK. Doesn't need to be fast.

Am visiting family in June for the first time since emigrating in 2012, and I think I really should do something about the stuff I left at my mum's! Cricket great, some clothes, skydiving gear (don't we all have that?!) etc. so not super super heavy stuff, but more than I can get into the surplus of my 25kg allowance with Singapore Airlines.

Cheers
I got my rig, helmet and FF suits shipped out for about $250. I’ll try and find the company I went with but it was nice and straight forward (also would have been cheaper but I paid extra for insurance due to it’s worth)
Old Mar 24th 2023, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Clac. I may tyet ry to track down any old jumping buddies to see if one of them might like to sell it for me, in return for a share. I haven't jumped for over 25 years so I don't expect to get much for it. Doubt I'd be able to get it sold within the two weeks that I'm there though. Cheers.
Old Mar 24th 2023, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Clac. I may tyet ry to track down any old jumping buddies to see if one of them might like to sell it for me, in return for a share. I haven't jumped for over 25 years so I don't expect to get much for it. Doubt I'd be able to get it sold within the two weeks that I'm there though. Cheers.
If you’re on FB if you haven’t already join UK skydivers buy and sell.

I sold my vengeance with ease on there and it was very old. Lots of people looking for a second kit.
Old Mar 26th 2023, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that. I've sent a join request. Whilst I left all my gear behind I did bring my logbook when I moved over here, so I was able to provide the info required to join.

Next challenge is to get my brother to get my brother to get some photos of everything. Would you suggest I get him to get the main and reserve out to photograph? Since the reserve hasn't be out of the container for 25 years it is all going to need a pro repack anyway...

I wonder if the reverse risers on the main are going to be an issue? I bought it like that. It was a bit of a trend at the time, no idea why though.
Old Mar 26th 2023, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that. I've sent a join request. Whilst I left all my gear behind I did bring my logbook when I moved over here, so I was able to provide the info required to join.

Next challenge is to get my brother to get my brother to get some photos of everything. Would you suggest I get him to get the main and reserve out to photograph? Since the reserve hasn't be out of the container for 25 years it is all going to need a pro repack anyway...

I wonder if the reverse risers on the main are going to be an issue? I bought it like that. It was a bit of a trend at the time, no idea why though.
I’m guessing you have a PDF kit if you have reverse risers? That won’t be a problem if the risers aren’t sold separately to the container. You can still use them but they won’t safely work with a javelin or a vector.

as for the canopies, they can be sold separately or with the container.

definitely get someone to take a good few photos of the main and ensure they record down the details of the canopy DOM, size etc.

The reserve you don’t necessarily need to have a picture of it. There should be a reserve document which states its details and history of pack jobs. I guess it depends on if you want to get the reserve packed prior to selling. There are some amazing advanced packers at Langar (not sure what your home DZ was).

The buyer will likely need to buy an AAD (even if you have one) because the cypress only have a 13 year lifespan and the vigil 20 years.

Old Mar 26th 2023, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

I honestly cannot remember at all what the reserve it, but the container is a 2-pin Teardrop and the main is a BT150 (so yes, that's PdF isn't it? I'm woefully lacking in knowledge now). Going to be difficult to put a number on how much it got jumped (not many by me), but I certainly have all the other info and paperwork tucked into that flap at the back. I think I paid £1,500 for the rig. I assumed it would be worth about £1,000 when I moved over here. Probably lucky to get £400-£500 now. As long as I get a fair price, I'll be happy to see it go to a good home

The Cypress is definitely end of life! My home DZ was Sibson. I was only in the sport '92-'97. Never actually jumped anywhere else. Might take a trip up there when I'm over to show my boys where daddy used to pretend to be cool
Old Mar 26th 2023, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

I honestly cannot remember at all what the reserve it, but the container is a 2-pin Teardrop and the main is a BT150 (so yes, that's PdF isn't it? I'm woefully lacking in knowledge now). Going to be difficult to put a number on how much it got jumped (not many by me), but I certainly have all the other info and paperwork tucked into that flap at the back. I think I paid £1,500 for the rig. I assumed it would be worth about £1,000 when I moved over here. Probably lucky to get £400-£500 now. As long as I get a fair price, I'll be happy to see it go to a good home

The Cypress is definitely end of life! My home DZ was Sibson. I was only in the sport '92-'97. Never actually jumped anywhere else. Might take a trip up there when I'm over to show my boys where daddy used to pretend to be cool
the CCI at Sibson is a friend of mine (McCann, or CanCan) as most call him). He’s been around a long time, not sure if he was there in the mid 90’s.

you should be able to sell it no problem and get a decent enough price. Even riggers like to buy older kit for practice