Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Growing up in Australia

Growing up in Australia

Old Mar 5th 2023, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Growing up in Australia

Yesterday in my "Back in the Day" thread on the "Rest of the World" forum, I posted a reminiscence about the church-less religious services that were held every three months in my home in "the bush" in Queensland, back when I was a boy. And it occurs to me now, that it's a more appropriate topic for this Barbie forum. If there is any interest, of course. Is there?
Old Mar 24th 2023, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Growing up in Australia

As an atheist, I have always found religion deeply interesting. In the UK, it is technically a legal requirement for all state school to carry out an assembly of broadly spiritual/christian worship. This was easily circumvented to make it complete inclusive - we had "Though for the day" and this was discussed in pastoral class times, taking views from all backgrounds. The Christian god, and other gods, would be discussed and taught, but faith was never thrust down the children's throats.

Old Mar 24th 2023, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Not me but DD is growing up in Australia and attending a state school.

My impression (bearing in mind the pandemic upended parental involvement at assemblies etc for a few years) is that the ethos is Australian cultural values. There is no religious element at seasonal events eg Christmas and Easter. There are children of multiple faiths and nationalities at the school.

We specifically opted her out of religious instruction (once a week IIRC). Instead they discuss behavioural expectations at the school. I’d prefer if they could discuss ethics but it’s not available in our region.

So far so secular.
Old Mar 24th 2023, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

We had scripture once a week for a single period, when I was at primary school. That was early primary. It seemed to fizzle out by about the age of nine. (from recall) I agree with above poster. I would much prefer the teaching of ethics . (something not too evident in self interest inclined Australia.)
Old Mar 25th 2023, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

No sky fairy nonsense at our school in South Australia. People from so many countries…
Old Mar 30th 2023, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
As an atheist, I have always found religion deeply interesting. In the UK, it is technically a legal requirement for all state school to carry out an assembly of broadly spiritual/christian worship. This was easily circumvented to make it complete inclusive - we had "Though for the day" and this was discussed in pastoral class times, taking views from all backgrounds. The Christian god, and other gods, would be discussed and taught, but faith was never thrust down the children's throats.
Took me back to my primary school which was associated with the church across the road, we issue to have assembly twice a week where we would all sit and listen to recordings of man telling stories from the bible some were great others I had to use match sticks, we use to have harvest festivals, spring day and an autumn day where you brought in plants etc that were either in or on the ground for that time of year, whit walks were something everyone looked forward to as new shoes and dresses (the only few times I actually liked/enjoyed “dressing up” I was such a tomboy lol. Playing hopscotch and skipping (had to make the boys do this lol) cricket with my parents gate post and football using my dads garage door as the goals I did this with the “boys” I was the only girl in our avenue and I can honestly say we had a whale of a time growing up the naughtiest thing we got up to was pear and apple sapping (as we called it) taking from neighbours tress… don’t know why as we all had our own lol the old saying “times were better” for youngsters then for me is the truth compared to today.