Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Shall we just cancel the flights then?

Shall we just cancel the flights then?

Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shall we just cancel the flights then?

Originally Posted by quoll
Yup that is the truth! Of the 4 out of 5 who stay here, I reckon two of them would go back if they could but are stuck here for ever and ever and ever

Which two? Are you taking someone with you?
Old Jun 17th 2009, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I bet there are plenty of people who regret making the decision to move. It a massive upheaval and can be mighty expensive as well. If it then doesn't work out its a painful experience.
I know it is an expensive experiment if you want to call it that. But take someone who isn't happy in the UK. A move abroad is stressful in itself especially with little ones but if you can and don't do it...you will get on in age only to think sh*t I should have given it my all. I have a friend a school who's parents could have taken her to Aus as a Child and chose not to because of family.... and now it's to late. Sometimes you have to put first what's more important for you, your wife and children.... yes many have extended family but if we were all to put our lives on hold for grannies and grandpas, cousins and aunties etc....we wouldn't do anything.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EverydaySunshine
I know it is an expensive experiment if you want to call it that. But take someone who isn't happy in the UK. A move abroad is stressful in itself especially with little ones but if you can and don't do it...you will get on in age only to think sh*t I should have given it my all. I have a friend a school who's parents could have taken her to Aus as a Child and chose not to because of family.... and now it's to late. Sometimes you have to put first what's more important for you, your wife and children.... yes many have extended family but if we were all to put our lives on hold for grannies and grandpas, cousins and aunties etc....we wouldn't do anything.
Many who come say they are "doing it for the kids" which to be honest I think is just justifying to yourself why you want to migrate. Most kids, especially little ones, will do anything to please their parents and will go along with any 'great adventure' sold to them.... but that's all irrelevant to my earlier point that it can, and is for a sizeable minority, a disaster. Not many migrate thinking they will be going home again.. but some 20% do and for many of those people it will have been a life shattering experience and not some enrichment process as many would claim.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Many who come say they are "doing it for the kids" which to be honest I think is just justifying to yourself why you want to migrate. Most kids, especially little ones, will do anything to please their parents and will go along with any 'great adventure' sold to them.... but that's all irrelevant to my earlier point that it can, and is for a sizeable minority, a disaster. Not many migrate thinking they will be going home again.. but some 20% do and for many of those people it will have been a life shattering experience and not some enrichment process as many would claim.
Obviously a move is not just for the kids etc.... what I am trying to say and agree with your points is that if you don't try you don't know. You can predict how it may end but it could go the other way also... yes it could be the best thing you ever did or a nightmare which you will get over. End of.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by EverydaySunshine
Obviously a move is not just for the kids etc.... what I am trying to say and agree with your points is that if you don't try you don't know. You can predict how it may end but it could go the other way also... yes it could be the best thing you ever did or a nightmare which you will get over. End of.
Agreed.. but you don't get over everything. If you do have to return back to the UK it can be financially crippling and something that you may never recover from.

On that point, one thing I would say is that if you can make the move and still maintain your home in the UK then I would strongly recommend it. I wasn't personally in that position and I doubt too many are that fortunate, but if you can maintain that escape clause for a couple of years then its defo something to think about.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mika24me
we actually were so convinced that Oz was not for us that we tried for about 9 months to sell our house over there. It was with much regret we rented it out instead. I am so grateful for that now though
that was lucky then!! We gonna give Brissy a go and see how things pan out. We have no ties back here now as my Dad died last week Mum went two years ago. Glad we came back for him but now I gotta put the kids and OH first and to be honest they all hated leaving their lives/friends/jobs there so now we can go back and I wont feel so guilty.

Kath
Old Jun 17th 2009, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future

I don't know who to thank first for your words of wisdom (on both sides of the coin!)
Petals......I'm not worried about being 'bored' as we have 2 dogs and a walk without MUD and RAIN will be just heaven! Seriously though....the 'boredom' issue just concerns me (very slightly) with regards to my children (15 and 19yrs.....although the 19yr old is staying here at Uni for at least another year!) And at the moment, where we live our Daughter is so sick and tired of being verbally abused and on more than one occassion almost dragged into cars she has stopped going out! I have to take her everywhere....and believe me, she's not soft!
And yes, I'm very good at making my own entertainment (which you so rightly mentioned!) Anyone for a party?

Also thanks to Quoll.....the school years/terms there are a major issue. Maddy will be leaving yr ten here next month and going into year 11 there in feb (I think? Is that right?)

Thanks to Iamthecreature... for your insight and feelings!

Thanks Dadagain....we will look at it as an opportunity and an adventure!

Everydaysunshine...the 'parents moving/not moving to Oz when I was a teen' happened to me...I was 12...obviously we didn't make it then! Maybe that's why I need to do it eh?

And to anyone else who has shared their experiences.....I thank you so much!

We will be starting again, like teenagers leaving home! Scarey but what's the alternative? Still be sitting here in 20yrs doing my knitting and wondering 'what if'? Nah! Think I'd rather get it wrong than never try!!

Much, much love....Lisa,xx

Last edited by snoo; Jun 17th 2009 at 10:46 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 12:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by snoo
Thanks to Iamthecreature... for your insight and feelings!

We will be starting again, like teenagers leaving home! Scarey but what's the alternative? Still be sitting here in 20yrs doing my knitting and wondering 'what if'? Nah! Think I'd rather get it wrong than never try!!

Much, much love....Lisa,xx
NW... and scarey it will be.

I really do hope that it turns out to be everything you expect and more....
Old Jun 18th 2009, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Which two? Are you taking someone with you?
LOL I've got a couple of long term expat colleagues and both said, quite independently, that they wish they had gone a long time ago.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Ooooohhhh chilly. One rellie down about 5 to go eh???

Lets hope they dont all pop off at once, that'll really ruin the tea party.
My God I cant believe you typed that!! how dare you say a thing like that you dont even know me!!!! I didnt mean it like that you mindless .........

I really meant to say that I felt guilty all the time I was in Oz, worrying so much for my aged parents, so my OH let us all come back and Im so glad I did and spent the last 18 months looking after him.

What Im saying is now he has passed away I can concentrate on my immediate family and listen to what we all want as a family unit, and no its not meant to sound heartless......

Last edited by Kath & Graham; Jun 18th 2009 at 1:56 am. Reason: wish i never said anything in the first place as its been taken the wrong way!
Old Jun 18th 2009, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

nephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the rough

post definatly come across abit dodge but feel for you goodluck with your move again.z
Old Jun 18th 2009, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
that was lucky then!! We gonna give Brissy a go and see how things pan out. We have no ties back here now as my Dad died last week Mum went two years ago. Glad we came back for him but now I gotta put the kids and OH first and to be honest they all hated leaving their lives/friends/jobs there so now we can go back and I wont feel so guilty.

Kath
In kaths defence, I don't really think its fair we are saying her comments are 'chillie' or it came across 'a bit dodge'.

We know nothing of the details of how her dad died. For instance he could of had a long illness, and so when he did go it was a relief to the family that he was no longer suffering.

She is just stating shes glad she had the opportunity to be with her dad for the last few months of his life, and now a new chapter in her life can begin with her family moving back to Oz.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TandC23
In kaths defence, I don't really think its fair we are saying her comments are 'chillie' or it came across 'a bit dodge'.

We know nothing of the details of how her dad died. For instance he could of had a long illness, and so when he did go it was a relief to the family that he was no longer suffering.

She is just stating shes glad she had the opportunity to be with her dad for the last few months of his life, and now a new chapter in her life can begin with her family moving back to Oz.

I know, I tried to delete my post almost as soon as it was posted but BE went down. I have contacted a mod to no avail. I take it back completely!
Old Jun 18th 2009, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
I know, I tried to delete my post almost as soon as it was posted but BE went down. I have contacted a mod to no avail. I take it back completely!

Just on a lighter note guys!!! I once said something similar about someone's cat that'd died....it just fell out of my mouth....I still feel guilty now, but I know I didn't mean to sound cruel....it just sounded that way! So let's just forget it and move on!
Kath, sorry to hear about your parents, my Mother died 4 yrs ago and I've only just in the past 3yrs had a relationship with my Dad after 20 yrs not speaking! He knows we will miss him and his wife but just as you have said...'sorry but the kids come first'! I hope we don't have to go through the stress that you have been through, I hope they come to Oz (even though he drives me MAD!!)
Good luck with the return....and take care...xx
Old Jun 18th 2009, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys yer I was really upset about how that reply, but in hindsight yep you dont know me and you dont know my circumstances I was merely saying about guilt and stuff and on here you cant come across in the right way so me typing summin like that also didnt help cos it didnt come across properly.

Kath

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.