Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Shall we just cancel the flights then?

Shall we just cancel the flights then?

Old Jun 17th 2009, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future
Default Shall we just cancel the flights then?

I've popped into BE (and other forums!) to say 'yeah, booked flights after 3yrs of thinking, paperwork, fees, struggles, house sale(s), illness, more stuuggles'!!!!!!!!!

But I feel as though I'm leaving one miserable place to replace it with ANOTHER after reading many of the posts...'Perth is boring...Australia is awful'

Shall we just cancel the flights and make the most of it here???? (not a serious question....but I do feel as though we are leaving open-hell (one with 'day release'!) and coming to maximum-hell (where we'll be bored to death and thrashed daily!!)

Not having jobs (or a house or school!!!) were our major worries.....but bloody hell...at least we were looking forward to moving to a lovely country!

Can I please have some more positive views? I am certainly leaving my rose-tints at home....infact I've never actually owned any (we've just had a lovely wk in Corfu because we know it will be a MASSIVE stuggle when we arrive in Perth! Especially as we don't really know anyone either!)

Lisa,x
Old Jun 17th 2009, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shall we just cancel the flights then?

You should have bought a taverna in Corfu instead...a much more beautiful place.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 12:29 pm
TGA
Banned

TGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond repute

Corfu to Perth....

do yourself a favour, get return tickets!
Old Jun 17th 2009, 12:30 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Shall we just cancel the flights then?

Try before you buy.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future

Congrats on booking the flights! I have also booked flights for september and getting excited! Going to Perth too!

I tend to try not to be put off/influenced by the negative posts,I read with interest and take on-board points raised, but at the end of the day you won't know what its like till you do it yourself!! Your experience can be totally different to someone elses, so stay positive, don't let these posts get you down!

People who post on BE are generally in need of support or guidence hence in my opinion an obscured negative view of Oz may be projected. Just think of all the immigrants who DON'T post on BE!! there must be loads......

It sounds like you have been planning this for a long time, so its obviously something you feel strongly about and want to do. Yes I wonder sometimes - are we doing the right thing?? but if we don't go we will never no!! Youve got to go for it, and see for yourself!!
Old Jun 17th 2009, 12:47 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it, what some people find boring, others dont.

Take with you an open mind, and dont listen to anyone else.

Nowhere is perfect, you just have to find your own place in the world and there are always people that will say Australia is boring.

Let them think that and you just see for yourself and dont let them influence you.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

jsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Go for it, what some people find boring, others dont.

Take with you an open mind, and dont listen to anyone else.

Nowhere is perfect, you just have to find your own place in the world and there are always people that will say Australia is boring.

Let them think that and you just see for yourself and dont let them influence you.
I totally agree with PP.. try it for your selves what suits one dosent suit the other.........perth is a beautiful place to most ...but can also be boring to others ...im a little biased this is my home state (but born in uk) and the oh and i love the lifestyle here ( camping fishing etc) BUT we are also very much aware that it is NOT for everyone......good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Try before you buy.

We have 'tried' and loved it....but moving is another thing I supppose....not really much chance of turning back now (not that we want to!!)

We have bought return flights (cheaper than one way...£389)....but there's 'no going back'! We want to make a serious go of it! I'm not having it that it will be worse than where we live now.....and if it is....then we will have to live with it!
any chance of a chink of light? SOMETHING to look forward to? Jeez, I feel like we're about to move to Albania! And no comments about Albania being a better option...

Just seen posts by PP and Tand.....thanks for your replies! And yes, I too like to be aware and ready for the negative issues and I do find that it is better to be fore-warned....although the AMOUNT of negative posts is rather heartbreaking when we have suffered for 3yrs to ensure our place in Australia. I suppose we will have to take it on board and make our own lives as good as we can! I know that if we don't do it we will sorely regret it! Our parents tell us we are doing the right thing everyday.....they can see how the area we live in has changed for the worse...and it will continue that way. My Daughter is almost 16 and I have to drive her everywhere because she is accosted virtually every time she goes out (really!! Even when she has her school uniform on! Perverts!)

Congrats on booking the flights Tand...singapore air by any chance? We leave 8th Sept from Heathrow...when have put the mutts on their flights!
Can I have some more encouragement please????? Anyone else??
Old Jun 17th 2009, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jsvk
I totally agree with PP.. try it for your selves what suits one dosent suit the other.........perth is a beautiful place to most ...but can also be boring to others ...im a little biased this is my home state (but born in uk) and the oh and i love the lifestyle here ( camping fishing etc) BUT we are also very much aware that it is NOT for everyone......good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Thank you....I think we'll be ok as long as we have somewhere nice to walk the dogs and have a beer! (even if it's the garden!)
Possibly our kids will go back to the UK at some point, but if they have the option to return to Oz then they have the best of both!
Lisa,x
Old Jun 17th 2009, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future

Yes Singapore air!! booked one way (which did cost more then your return! but hey ho...... ) we fly out 6th september !!
Old Jun 17th 2009, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snoo
I've popped into BE (and other forums!) to say 'yeah, booked flights after 3yrs of thinking, paperwork, fees, struggles, house sale(s), illness, more stuuggles'!!!!!!!!!

But I feel as though I'm leaving one miserable place to replace it with ANOTHER after reading many of the posts...'Perth is boring...Australia is awful'

Shall we just cancel the flights and make the most of it here???? (not a serious question....but I do feel as though we are leaving open-hell (one with 'day release'!) and coming to maximum-hell (where we'll be bored to death and thrashed daily!!)

Not having jobs (or a house or school!!!) were our major worries.....but bloody hell...at least we were looking forward to moving to a lovely country!

Can I please have some more positive views? I am certainly leaving my rose-tints at home....infact I've never actually owned any (we've just had a lovely wk in Corfu because we know it will be a MASSIVE stuggle when we arrive in Perth! Especially as we don't really know anyone either!)

Lisa,x
This board is packed with posts about Perth. Its seems to be the favourite spot in Oz for Brits, no idea why that is, and the one place in Oz that seems to divide opinion more than anywhere else. People seem to either love it or hate it. Personally never been, so I have no opinion on it myself.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 2:16 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snoo
This forum collects the disaffected - you know the saying 'misery loves company'. Don't take the opinions expressed on here as representative of life in Oz.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

chris mcgow will become famous soon enoughchris mcgow will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Hutch
This forum collects the disaffected - you know the saying 'misery loves company'. Don't take the opinions expressed on here as representative of life in Oz.
Snoo, go for it dont let anyone put you off, they have their experiences and now its time for you to have yours. You would always be wondering "what if" if you didnt. Life is what you make it as the saying goes
Liz
Old Jun 17th 2009, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Walkabout has a spectacular aura aboutWalkabout has a spectacular aura aboutWalkabout has a spectacular aura about

Hi Lisa,
Having done this, in my opinion there are three Philosophies;

If you don't have a go, you will never know,

(Please excuse the language) Same shit different bucket

and life is having a go where ever you are.

We live on a big round ball and if you can get your head around the simplicity of that, then actually, it is simple. That is my work in progress. Please message me if you find out how to do it.

Best of luck
Old Jun 17th 2009, 3:14 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

I would say go for it and if it works, it works.

As for the opinions on this site, most happy and settled expats do not tend to post here a lot. From personal experience I only posted when I was moving for the 1st time and then homesick and moving back to Scotland 4 years later, and now that I am ping ponging back again I am once more on the forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.