Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Selection Criteria for Government Job Applications. Please try help me

Selection Criteria for Government Job Applications. Please try help me

Old Dec 21st 2009, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice
Default Selection Criteria for Government Job Applications. Please try help me

Hi all,

I want to apply for an office role working for the NT Government. However, with all applications for almost any job you have to complete a Selection Criteria to go with your application. A selection panel will then decide if you are work worth an interview or not?

Has anyone completed a Selection Criteria before?
Any tips for do's and dont's

Absolutely everything I have googled brings up books for sell on how to complete them.

Any help will be great. THANKS A BUNCH.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 11:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selection Criteria for Government Job Applications. Please try help me

Originally Posted by EverydaySunshine
Hi all,

I want to apply for an office role working for the NT Government. However, with all applications for almost any job you have to complete a Selection Criteria to go with your application. A selection panel will then decide if you are work worth an interview or not?

Has anyone completed a Selection Criteria before?
Any tips for do's and dont's

Absolutely everything I have googled brings up books for sell on how to complete them.

Any help will be great. THANKS A BUNCH.
Standard stuff for govt jobs here - and a lot of others as well. There are several guides online, but one of the best I've seen is Victoria's

http://www.careers.vic.gov.au/CA256D...0?OpenDocument

I was always told to write each criteria in four parts - the Situation, Task, Action and Restult (STAR) as they want to see that you can carry a task through and produce a response at the end
Old Dec 21st 2009, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice
Default Re: Selection Criteria for Government Job Applications. Please try help me

THANKS
Old Dec 21st 2009, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Pay someone to do it for you!
I was told that this is what loads of people do
Old Dec 21st 2009, 12:29 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
I'm sure it happens. I do know of a case at work where someone copied someone else's from when the job was advertisied previously.......not realising that one of the panel members from the first time was also there for the second lot
I'd rather do my own, couldn't "cheat" like that - I'd rather win or lose on my own merits.

The more you do the easier they are, and cut and paste is a wonderful tool, just don't forget to re-read it carefully afterwards. No good saying you can "quickly master the rules and regulations is use in Environmental Services" if you are trying for a job in Communities, and I've seen that kind of thing more than once.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

I spent a year in Govt recruitment. I liked to see the selection criteria listed and underneath each one and a good demonstration/examples of how they are met.
You need to follow the instructions given by the prospective employer. Loads of applicants didn't even bother to address the criteria and expect prospective employers to pick these out from a C.V. Unlikely to happen. If I had to hunt for selection criteria, the application usually ended up in the bin.

Try to come up with some way of showing that you meet the criteria and if you don't - say something like you have working knowledge of it, and are keen to gain practical experience of it..

Sorry to say the bleedin' obvious - but spell check, grammar check and get someone to QA for you
Good Luck!
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Really? That's shocking. When doing a search a company did advertise to do it at a cost of $300! per application. That's crazy.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 3:36 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
I spent a year in Govt recruitment. I liked to see the selection criteria listed and underneath each one and a good demonstration/examples of how they are met.
You need to follow the instructions given by the prospective employer. Loads of applicants didn't even bother to address the criteria and expect prospective employers to pick these out from a C.V. Unlikely to happen. If I had to hunt for selection criteria, the application usually ended up in the bin.

Try to come up with some way of showing that you meet the criteria and if you don't - say something like you have working knowledge of it, and are keen to gain practical experience of it..

Sorry to say the bleedin' obvious - but spell check, grammar check and get someone to QA for you
Good Luck!

wise words by chortlepuss... follow them to the letter and you'll get an interview.

good luck !
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

And if the job ad says to call or email someone for an 'information pack' about the position - then call or email them and get all the info available. The pack usually tells you exactly what you need to do. You don't usually get enough information from the job ad alone - though you might think you know enough to apply directly.

My OH works in the PS and often has to do the job application thing. He dreads it usually. Applications that don't address the selection criteria in the exact, correct way go straight in the bin. There's no way that anyone would ever trawl through a CV looking for the info they need. They're always looking for the slightest excuse to get the huge pile of applications down to a reasonable, manageable number so the slightest deviation from what they expect to see is just the excuse they need to bin another one.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 12:05 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by NickyC
And if the job ad says to call or email someone for an 'information pack' about the position - then call or email them and get all the info available. The pack usually tells you exactly what you need to do. You don't usually get enough information from the job ad alone - though you might think you know enough to apply directly.

My OH works in the PS and often has to do the job application thing. He dreads it usually. Applications that don't address the selection criteria in the exact, correct way go straight in the bin. There's no way that anyone would ever trawl through a CV looking for the info they need. They're always looking for the slightest excuse to get the huge pile of applications down to a reasonable, manageable number so the slightest deviation from what they expect to see is just the excuse they need to bin another one.
Its also quite common to find that the person who is the contact name is going to be one of the panel - and if they're on the ball they will be recording who they send info to - showing interest beforehand can help you get the job
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

And quantify, quantify, quantify Worked in a team of 6 people building 37 widgets worth $320,000 over a 8 month period....rather than...Have a lot of experience building widgets.