School Detentions in Australia

Old Jul 25th 2008, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: School Detentions in Australia

Originally Posted by tasmas
Yep, kids have no initiative these days

Tracy

Where abouts in Notts are you, OH from there.

Used to live in Long Eaton! Is your OH a County or Forest fan?
Old Jul 27th 2008, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

virginiec will become famous soon enough

Was hoping to get up to 100 posts on this one!
Old Jul 28th 2008, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Getting back to truancy and detentions, I've been quite surprised looking on the net as Aussie school behaviour policies that a note from the parents is still acceptable to explain an absence. Where we live in NZ, notes from home went out decades ago, as did notes informing parents of detention. We have an answer phone line where parents have to ring before 8.50am and leave a message explaining the child's absence. If you don't leave a message and your child is not at school they ring you at work, and if you thought your child was at school they contact a truancy officer. It's not foolproof but effective. If a child gets detention they have to ring their parent from the office while a teacher stands next to them. If a kid bunks class in the middle of the day, they have to attend a conference with the headmaster and their parents, which I would've found much more scary than a detention.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kiwinow
Getting back to truancy and detentions, I've been quite surprised looking on the net as Aussie school behaviour policies that a note from the parents is still acceptable to explain an absence. Where we live in NZ, notes from home went out decades ago, as did notes informing parents of detention. We have an answer phone line where parents have to ring before 8.50am and leave a message explaining the child's absence. If you don't leave a message and your child is not at school they ring you at work, and if you thought your child was at school they contact a truancy officer. It's not foolproof but effective. If a child gets detention they have to ring their parent from the office while a teacher stands next to them. If a kid bunks class in the middle of the day, they have to attend a conference with the headmaster and their parents, which I would've found much more scary than a detention.
Yes but it is still the 1980s in Oz.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 12:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
Yes but it is still the 1980s in Oz.
Cor, you're in an advanced bit then, Qld is stuck in 1974
Old Jul 28th 2008, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

Sydney is more modern. We have a monorail!
Old Jul 28th 2008, 12:43 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
Sydney is more modern. We have a monorail!
We have electricity up here now, it still amazes some of the locals
Old Jul 28th 2008, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Have to phone on the absentee line to all the schools my kids have been to her in Australia.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 5:32 pm
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

I completed all my education in Australia, but I have no idea what the norm is.

I was so scared of getting into trouble I was always a perfect student (as far as the teachers were concerned).
Old Jul 29th 2008, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

My kids started school here in Sydney in 1992 and their schools always had a phone-in line. Had to write a note as well when they returned (for the school records) but they also needed that call on the day, too.

It was a great system. Truancy was non-existent.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

Woo hoo, 100 posts now!

Unfortunately my daughter has got another detention tomorrow night for "uniform violation"
Old Jul 30th 2008, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by virginiec
Woo hoo, 100 posts now!

Unfortunately my daughter has got another detention tomorrow night for "uniform violation"
How did she violate her uniform????
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
How did she violate her uniform????
That was a direct quote from her detention slip!

Apparently she had her top two buttons undone on her uniform. This detention is an hour long this time.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:20 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by virginiec
That was a direct quote from her detention slip!

Apparently she had her top two buttons undone on her uniform. This detention is an hour long this time.
Oh that takes me back - we used to compete to see who could get the knot inb their tie big enough to conceal the two buttons undone below it
Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Oh that takes me back - we used to compete to see who could get the knot inb their tie big enough to conceal the two buttons undone below it
The worst one was the skirt rule at our school. I think we couldn't have it more than two inches above our knee. Needless to say it was a competition to see who could have the shortest skirt!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.