Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

School Detentions in Australia

School Detentions in Australia

Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School Detentions in Australia

Originally Posted by virginiec
The worst one was the skirt rule at our school. I think we couldn't have it more than two inches above our knee. Needless to say it was a competition to see who could have the shortest skirt!
They used to let ius wear trousers in the upper forms in the winter. Half-term April and October were the limits, so come one April there was snow on the ground and four of us went to school in trousers - proper uniform one, but trousers. Hauled up in front of the headmaster (very straight ex-army bloke) and he ordered us all to take them off.........so we did
Suddenly he realised that discussing the issue might be a better option and he relaxed the rule until the weather got a tad warmer

I'll never forget his face.....four 17 year old girls, stripping off in front of him - he didn't know whether to look appalled or consider it his birthday
Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

confuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really nice

I haven't heard the word truant in years, makes me think of kids going to borstal etc

Think the grounding is a punisment for me today. I've had enough of a stroppy adolescent mooching around the house..
Can i just say that- If something happened to a child who was wagging school, the teachers and the school would never hear the end of it... even if it was only PE. Most parents, i expect, would blame the school, not themselves. I don't believe 2 hours of their time is harsh, if it acts a deterrent. Like others have said, while a child is at school they are the responsibily of the school.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

virginiec will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by confuzzled
Can i just say that- If something happened to a child who was wagging school, the teachers and the school would never hear the end of it... even if it was only PE. Most parents, i expect, would blame the school, not themselves. I don't believe 2 hours of their time is harsh, if it acts a deterrent. Like others have said, while a child is at school they are the responsibily of the school.
I was just suprised at the length of the detention that's all. In the UK they only lasted an hour and really wanted to know if there was a different policy in Oz than back home
Old Aug 1st 2008, 12:28 am
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

I was just suprised at the length of the detention that's all. In the UK they only lasted an hour and really wanted to know if there was a different policy in Oz than back home

I really cannot understand why you are so surprised at the length of the detention - punishment is administered and to be learned from - I doubt a shorter detention for wagging school would have any real impact on your daughter.

Apart from her being punished for her misdemeaner - think about the poor member of staff that had to supervise her - who hadn't wagged school and was still made to do the extra two hours!
Old Aug 1st 2008, 8:15 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

That was a direct quote from her detention slip!

Apparently she had her top two buttons undone on her uniform. This detention is an hour long this time.
I think that's a bit harsh! I did everything in my power to make my uniform non conformist

I didn't think 2 hours for skipping school was harsh though tbh
Old Aug 1st 2008, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Sarah17 will become famous soon enough

The worst one was the skirt rule at our school. I think we couldn't have it more than two inches above our knee. Needless to say it was a competition to see who could have the shortest skirt!
Haha well i'll be taking the hem of my school dress up as much as possible once we get over to aus and i start high school again. Its the only thing you can do to make a school dress look half way sexy when your 17/18 so i guess i'll be running the risk of some sort of detention for uniform violation pretty quickly

Still as they say, start as you mean to go on
Old Aug 1st 2008, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah17
Haha well i'll be taking the hem of my school dress up as much as possible once we get over to aus and i start high school again. Its the only thing you can do to make a school dress look half way sexy when your 17/18 so i guess i'll be running the risk of some sort of detention for uniform violation pretty quickly

Still as they say, start as you mean to go on
school dresses are not meant to be sexy.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
No they are not. But I have lost count of the number of guys who like you to wear one in the context of a mature adult relationship!
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

And didn't Brittany Spears do a sexy number wearing an old-fashioned gym tunic?

We used to have to have our dresses no more than 4" above the knee, but there was a belt and we just used to roll it up over the belt to make them shorter and pull them down for inspection. Yes we had weekly inspection! Sarah, when I was in Oz last month the skirts I saw on Aussie girls were quite fashionably long (mid-calf) although the summer uniform might be different. You may have to content yourself with surreptitious unbuttoning.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

No they are not. But I have lost count of the number of guys who like you to wear one in the context of a mature adult relationship!

It makes me very uneasy to see young girls in school uniform trying to look "sexy" -it can encourage the wrong sort of attention. As an ex-teacher I know that there are any number of "pervs" who hang around getting their kicks out of watching girls in short skirts and unbuttoned blouses. Enjoy your girlhood and save the "sexy" bit for when you go out clubbing. In school it is a big distraction for those silly boys who should be trying to learn things and not just sitting in a pile of drool ogling the exposed flesh.
(I know it is fun to distract boys)

Having said that, we were inspected regularly at school for skirt length, size of platforms (it was the 70's), and at the school dance we were not allowed closer than 6 inches to the boys (and yes, our tweed-skirted deputy head used to go around with a ruler!)
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

It makes me very uneasy to see young girls in school uniform trying to look "sexy" -it can encourage the wrong sort of attention. As an ex-teacher I know that there are any number of "pervs" who hang around getting their kicks out of watching girls in short skirts and unbuttoned blouses. Enjoy your girlhood and save the "sexy" bit for when you go out clubbing. In school it is a big distraction for those silly boys who should be trying to learn things and not just sitting in a pile of drool ogling the exposed flesh.
(I know it is fun to distract boys)

Having said that, we were inspected regularly at school for skirt length, size of platforms (it was the 70's), and at the school dance we were not allowed closer than 6 inches to the boys (and yes, our tweed-skirted deputy head used to go around with a ruler!)
Was I the only one who would leave home for a night out in a conservative outfit, only to change into a much more revealing outfit at a mate's place?
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

clarinsred is an unknown quantity at this point

Having said that, we were inspected regularly at school for skirt length, size of platforms (it was the 70's), and at the school dance we were not allowed closer than 6 inches to the boys (and yes, our tweed-skirted deputy head used to go around with a ruler!)[/QUOTE]

We were not allowed patent leather shoes, for fear of reflecting up our skirts!
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

We were not allowed patent leather shoes, for fear of reflecting up our skirts!
[/QUOTE]

Ha, ha would never have even have thought of that! They showed a lot of imagination in those days! Surprised by all the prudery tho!
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Mother would spit on a hanky and wipe the makeup off, so I took lippy and my blue eyeshadow out with me and put it on before going to youth club, then wipe it off in the loos before I came home. (small village and no"clubbing"- never been to one, tho a uni disco would probably count)
Society was pruder in those days, and teenagers in our village were "common" if they wore makeup. We never wore it at school,only those girls who were the "squaddies groundsheets", as it was so nicely called, wore it as a normal part of life, and I was only allowed to associate with "nice" girls!
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Sarah17 will become famous soon enough

Maybe "sexy" was the wrong word. Its just when your 17/18 the last thing you want is to be made to dress like your still in primary school which is what australian school dresses make you look like

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.