Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

School Detentions in Australia

School Detentions in Australia

Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: School Detentions in Australia

When I was at my 1st senior school (I went to 3) they didn't give detentions but 'Cause for Concern' slips.

You would take one home and have to get it signed and the other part would go on your record. If you got something like 3 a term they would put you into detentions etc then.
I only ever got 1 for talking to my mate in woodwork (it was called something else but can't remember what - CDT maybe) the teacher was bit of a loon. I was so upset I cried and was really scared what my dad would think, when I gave it too him he actually found it rather funny - he must have known I wasn't destined to make metal coat hangers in the future!!

Other than that I didn't get in trouble at all till I was in the 6th form and went off the rails a bit as I had a boyfriend that dumped me I thought it was the end of the world - then I discovered clubbing.

My sister went to a strange Anglo European School which had different sorts of rules as they had lots of foreign students who only were enrolled for a short time and she was always bunking off. Dad had to go up the school all the time with her. I think the head of year had our house on speed dial which definitely wasn't a laughing matter.
Shes always been trouble that one

Last edited by emmyjc1; Jul 13th 2008 at 8:56 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
When I was at school, I hated PE and religious education - having the Catholic religion force fed to me and I would have given anything to get out of it.

But my Mum said I had to do both whether or not I liked it and I was in no position to pick and choose what I wanted to do in the classroom.

My god I would not have dared skive though, it would have been more trouble than it was worth.
exactly, we all have to do things we don't like- even as adults.

It my current (UK) School the student would have to make up the time they didn't bother to attend. If they missed 2 hours they get 2 hours detention- seems about right to me.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

I think I only made one hockey lesson - I'd rather have had a rapping of the knuckles than hockey sticks crunching against my frozen shin bones
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:45 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Lunch time detenions are for acting up in class etc, then "after schools" are for more serious offences (like bunking off etc) Saturday mornings are for serious things like vandalism etc.

I wouldn't say they "are the norm" though..
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:34 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanessa
But there can be no right or wrong in this discussion particulary about what punishment is considered harsh. Some people believe in the death penalty some are anti abortion etc etc. It's a discussion that will never be resolved when you have conflicting views.
Bit harsh for skipping PE, now if it were English...........................................
Old Jul 15th 2008, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

virginiec will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Blossom
Maybe you should join her in detention and learn a valuable lesson yourself. How can you condone what your daughter did?

I know we've all done it at some time but as a parent surely you should support the school in this matter.
I'm not condoning what she did- I grounded her for two weeks as punishment.

All I'm saying is that I'm less concerned about her missing a PE class rather than one which will help shape her future...
Old Jul 15th 2008, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by virginiec
She skipped PE to go shopping. Hardly the crime of the century given that I doubt she will represent Australia or the UK at the Olympics
Good grief.

There's another thread going on at the minute which is talking about vandalism and a yobbish culture.....

Defensive, non-supportive attitudes like this from parents is one of the key reasons why we have teenagers with a complete lack of respect for social norms.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 1:44 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Good grief.

There's another thread going on at the minute which is talking about vandalism and a yobbish culture.....

Defensive, non-supportive attitudes like this from parents is one of the key reasons why we have teenagers with a complete lack of respect for social norms.
Absolutely agree 100%
Old Jul 15th 2008, 1:44 pm

caledonia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vanessa
oh come on guys. You are looking at it from an adults point of view. When you are young you don't really think about consequences ie if there is a fire at school etc etc. I am sure that the mother of the daughter in question just didn't say to her 'oh well better luck next time in not getting caught'! what she said was that she felt the punishment a bit harsh. That hardly makes her a uncaring parent.

No one could have been worse than me for skipping school. Actually in one of my report cards one teach wrote 'Vanessa who?'
I got caught out like that too! I wasn't really the type to skip school but decided to rebel a bit in my last year. Being nearly adult and being trusted with some responsibility, we were given a choice of subjects for our "free periods" which were basically time fillers like social skills or extra phys ed etc. Despite the trust instilled in us, my friend and I never went to any of the classes and just bunked off for those couple of hours every week. The teachers all assumed we were at another class, as we had never done anything like that before. Of course, it wasnt til the report cards were issued that we were sussed - they all realised that we hadnt gone to anyone's class! One of them wrote ...."who is this person?" on mine My folks hit the roof but I think they were a bit secretly relieved that I had a bit of normality in me, as I was a bit of a swot up until then and had never put a foot wrong!

Last edited by caledonia; Jul 15th 2008 at 1:48 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Weird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really nice

Kids should be in school during school hours and parents who think that is ok for their kids to go out shopping or skip a class just because they don't like it is just insane. Life is full of stuff you don't like doing, tough, let the school give their detention without question. Surely the grounding for 2 weeks is more heavy handed than a 2 hour detention and is undermining the schools authority anyway. What will happen when she skips youth club to go out clubbing?

Last edited by Weird Fish; Jul 15th 2008 at 11:18 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by virginiec
I think I was the complete opposite when I was at school! I told my mum that I was playing netball rather than confessing that I got another detention

Not harsh at all in my opinion. Punishment should fit the crime and all of that.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 2:36 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

The real problem is that she admitted skipping PE to go shopping. What she should have done, is said she had an appointment at the doctors and then forged a fake parental note to verify said appointment.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
The real problem is that she admitted skipping PE to go shopping. What she should have done, is said she had an appointment at the doctors and then forged a fake parental note to verify said appointment.
Yep, kids have no initiative these days

Tracy

Where abouts in Notts are you, OH from there.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Weird Fish
Kids should be in school during school hours and parents who think that is ok for their kids to go out shopping or skip a class just because they don't like it is just insane. Life is full of stuff you don't like doing, tough, let the school give their detention without question. Surely the grounding for 2 weeks is more heavy handed than a 2 hour detention and is undermining the schools authority anyway. What will happen when she skips youth club to go out clubbing?
The OP never said that the child shouldn't have been given a detention just that it was harsh.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Weird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really nice

Originally Posted by emmyjc1
The OP never said that the child shouldn't have been given a detention just that it was harsh.
You are right she didn't say she shouldn't have got detention, but she implied it.
Comments like "it seems a bit harsh" and "it was just for PE" also seem to be condoning her behaviour. Perhaps that is why her daughter felt she could get away with skipping school and then not covering her tracks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.