Running Club

Old Aug 14th 2007, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

farrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud of
Default Re: Running Club

Originally Posted by medwaymark
I sort of went over night from walking/running 5k to running it all. I found that if you slow it down, you can go a lot further. Anita found that too. She's not quite up to the 5k yet, but she found that should could run twice as far by running a bit slower.

Once you are running it, you can then build up the speed, or extend the distance if that's what you want to do.
do you have a nike ipod thing?what pace does it register?
Old Aug 14th 2007, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by farrierswife
do you have a nike ipod thing?what pace does it register?
My last run averaged 5'37" per km. When I was first running all of the 5k, my pace was around 6'30". I'll check with Anita that she doesn't mind me putting her pace on here and let you know what hers is.

What pace is yours saying? Might be hard to slow down if your fit daughter is pushing you
Old Aug 14th 2007, 10:46 pm
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

How long did you do the whole walk run thingy?
Several weeks, but I was surprised how quickly I went to just running. Slow running though!
Old Aug 14th 2007, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

My last run averaged 5'37" per km. When I was first running all of the 5k, my pace was around 6'30". I'll check with Anita that she doesn't mind me putting her pace on here and let you know what hers is.

What pace is yours saying? Might be hard to slow down if your fit daughter is pushing you
Right... Anita was doing it at 9'10" per Km. Her last recorded run was 8'17".
Old Aug 14th 2007, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

farrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud of

Right... Anita was doing it at 9'10" per Km. Her last recorded run was 8'17".
night before last pace was 7:25 per km thats averaging with walking as well so maybe running too fast? i think?
Old Aug 14th 2007, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

night before last pace was 7:25 per km thats averaging with walking as well so maybe running too fast? i think?
Blimey yeah, that does sound a bit quick. Try slowing it right down. Don't think Anita believed me until she did it herself. Your daughter probably wont break out in to a sweat, but don't let her push you to go faster until you're ready.

That pace I put for Anita is averaged running/walking. Can't remember what her running pace is now, 6 something I think...I'll have a look when I get home. When we go out together, we use my ipod to track how far/fast she actually runs. I pause it when she's walking (if that makes sense).
Old Aug 15th 2007, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Blimey yeah, that does sound a bit quick. Try slowing it right down. Don't think Anita believed me until she did it herself. Your daughter probably wont break out in to a sweat, but don't let her push you to go faster until you're ready.

That pace I put for Anita is averaged running/walking. Can't remember what her running pace is now, 6 something I think...I'll have a look when I get home. When we go out together, we use my ipod to track how far/fast she actually runs. I pause it when she's walking (if that makes sense).
will have to slow down tonite to be able to up to 2mins run 2 mins walk.
At present, moving at this pace the first mile is ok but the second mile i really need the 2 mins walk so will be intersting to see how we go a little slower.
good idea to pause while walking but i might loose inspiration as id loose distance.
nice thing is though daughter puffs a little as well and she broke school records for running for the last 2 year-proud mother moment-so cant be that much of a slug!
Old Aug 15th 2007, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

will have to slow down tonite to be able to up to 2mins run 2 mins walk.
At present, moving at this pace the first mile is ok but the second mile i really need the 2 mins walk so will be intersting to see how we go a little slower.
good idea to pause while walking but i might loose inspiration as id loose distance.
nice thing is though daughter puffs a little as well and she broke school records for running for the last 2 year-proud mother moment-so cant be that much of a slug!
Anita keeps her iPod going for the whole circuit, just use mine to keep track of the running. The other night she ran a mile without stopping, which I know to a lot of people might not sound much, but we were both well pleased with that.

No wonder you're knackered if you are trying to keep up with her

She'll probably come on here some time tonight (now I don't get a chance). Let us know how you get on.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

Anita keeps her iPod going for the whole circuit, just use mine to keep track of the running. The other night she ran a mile without stopping, which I know to a lot of people might not sound much, but we were both well pleased with that.

No wonder you're knackered if you are trying to keep up with her

She'll probably come on here some time tonight (now I don't get a chance). Let us know how you get on.
tell her well done a mile is a long way to us beginners, will let you know how we get on, shes laughing at me suggesting we go slower!!
When we get better we'll have to challenge Anita,I've been reading on the nike plus website but most are MAJOR runners on there.When are you off to oz?
Old Aug 15th 2007, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

tell her well done a mile is a long way to us beginners, will let you know how we get on, shes laughing at me suggesting we go slower!!
When we get better we'll have to challenge Anita,I've been reading on the nike plus website but most are MAJOR runners on there.When are you off to oz?
Now I'm not being funny and it's nothing I haven't said to Anita (and she'll be reading this anyway), but it was when I started going out running with her that the penny dropped about the speed thing. I wasn't getting out of breath at all. The next day I did the whole 5k to work. I think it was only about 3 weeks before I did a 10k race.

She thinks it bothers me running at her pace, but it doesn't. Because she is running further and a bit quicker, I do get quite warm now Try to set the pace yourself.

We are off to Oz next Friday... that's just a reccie though. House goes on the market in January, so depends on that really. We're going to Sydney. What about you?
Old Aug 15th 2007, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

itsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the rough

Hiya, Thanks.. i was well chuffed with a mile.. i never thought i would be able to run that far (not far to some I know but i was pleased )

Reading your replies to Mark I'd say you need to slow down.... i never ran very fast to start with but like you would run then walk but it would take me ages to get my breath back.... ive slowed right down now.. feels like i could walk quicker! but it's made all the difference... and im not as out of breath as i used to be... (face like a beetroot, but not out of breath )

Well done for going out regularly... it's hard to keep motivated eh but just keep thinking about how good it's making you feel.... have you been out yet tonight.. how did you get on?
Old Aug 15th 2007, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Neet Neet
Hiya, Thanks.. i was well chuffed with a mile.. i never thought i would be able to run that far (not far to some I know but i was pleased )

Reading your replies to Mark I'd say you need to slow down.... i never ran very fast to start with but like you would run then walk but it would take me ages to get my breath back.... ive slowed right down now.. feels like i could walk quicker! but it's made all the difference... and im not as out of breath as i used to be... (face like a beetroot, but not out of breath )

Well done for going out regularly... it's hard to keep motivated eh but just keep thinking about how good it's making you feel.... have you been out yet tonight.. how did you get on?
Hiya anita, just got back and plugged in, the anticipation is amlmost laughable.
Went out with the attitude to run slower, but further, so set 2 miles and started by running 2mins,walking to then ran the last 400 metres which was in our walk time.
Resultss were: 3.25km, 20'48-time, 6.23 pace, 240 calories!

sweating, red face, stitch halfway but disappeared and gasping a bit to the end.
sort of pleased as imagined our time if we'd ran all the way!
got to keep going every other night as i think if i stop ill give in then ill never lose the baby weight!
lucky you off next week, we are hopefully off to south melbourne in november
Old Aug 15th 2007, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

itsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the rough

Hiya anita, just got back and plugged in, the anticipation is amlmost laughable.
Went out with the attitude to run slower, but further, so set 2 miles and started by running 2mins,walking to then ran the last 400 metres which was in our walk time.
Resultss were: 3.25km, 20'48-time, 6.23 pace, 240 calories!

sweating, red face, stitch halfway but disappeared and gasping a bit to the end.
sort of pleased as imagined our time if we'd ran all the way!
got to keep going every other night as i think if i stop ill give in then ill never lose the baby weight!
lucky you off next week, we are hopefully off to south melbourne in november
well done you... god i still think that's fast... i dont think i could do it in that kind of pace.. well done.

i tend to get stitches.... when i did race for life i read on the website that you should breath in for a count of 3 and breath out on a count of 2.. this will mean your breathing is not in the same pattern all the time..(if that makes sense).. works for me..

my last run was 6.57 pace so your doing really well. (this pace was just my running bit not the walking as well)

yeh not that we are organised or anything...cant decide what clothes to take as weather out there warmer than i thought it would be this time of year.

November isnt long... i wish we could go earlier than next year
Old Aug 15th 2007, 8:18 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you're both doing brilliantly to me! Well done, and enjoy!

I went running around Clapham Common tonight in the pooring rain (I go to a fitness class thing held there). Never been so wet and muddy in my life...... and it's August! Can't imagine what it'll be like in the winter!
Old Aug 15th 2007, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Thanks to the running club bought myself an ipod thingy and splashed out on some niley runners, figured if i splashed out loads a money i might use them to justify it and have ran every other day since 7th aug.Not bad from a mother of 5 who is totally unfit.Been doing just under 2 miles,early days remember of walk 2 mins and run 1, gives you a nice wavey line at the end of it.Do this for about 20-25 mins.Going to up to 2 run 2 walk tonite.
Have no idea really of how to start to get fit from nothing got some ideas from a friend that did run for life??
Hopefully will be a bit fitter by nov to go to oz.
Currently doing it with 12 year ol mega fit daughter whos excellant moral support!
Thanks guys for getting me motivated!
Well done FW

Keep it up and you'll be running it all in no time. Ive found my ipod thingy great in getting me out of a rut (thanks to this thread). I love keeping record of my runs, it really motivates - when I feel myself slowing down I just remember what my wiggly line will look like when I get back!

I'm about to get my daughter to start coming out with me. She has to do more load bearing excercise, but I keep putting it off as I know she'll out run me

Keep us posted with your progress.

Gilly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.