Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Rugby World Cup 2011 Thread

View Poll Results: Rugby World Cup 2011 - Who will win?
New Zealand
30.91%
Australia
8.18%
South Africa
12.73%
England
17.27%
Ireland
5.45%
France
2.73%
Scotland
2.73%
Argentina
0.91%
Wales
8.18%
Fiji
1.82%
Samoa
0.91%
Italy
1.82%
Bizarre Outcome
6.36%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Rugby World Cup 2011 Thread

Old Oct 15th 2011, 10:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rugby World Cup 2011 Thread

Bit gutted by that....

England really pissed it away didn't they, they so could have either of those teams...

Oh well...and the commentary on the UK feed was a bit meh, that tackle was nasty, not sure it was quite a red card, but a sinbin at the least...it was nasty and so avoidable....knobcheese pissed it away.

But then again, what a crap drop goal attempt...the conversion attempt was unlucky and that penalty near the end was heart breaking stuff though.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
The defining thing about Warburton's tackle though is that he was the only one tackling. In other examples throughout the WC there were more than one person in the tackles making it easier for the attacking player to be rotated and therefore there are more mitigating circumstances involved. Warburton's tackle was all his own doing. It's not like it was even the French player's momentum that saw him rotated, it was all Warbuton, so as much as I pain to say it, he deserved it
It seems that the law does talk about a player being dropped so it was a literal interpretation of the law and I am wrong about that. But I feel that this was a yellow card offence when taking into account the spirit. Even Sam himself said it was the momentum of the winger that caused the lift.

As for the French coach - the French 'deserve to be world champions' - I am not so sure. Even England in 2007 were a bit better. If France somehow lift the Web Ellis trophy they would have come from further behind than England had with less play in them.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

DibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really nice

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
It's the worst of this kind I have seen in the tournament to date. Others I have seen there were elements of unluckiness involved, this one was pure stupidity. Not only did he knowingly lift him, he also knowingly rotated him, two big no-nos
watch it again Wrong, Wrong and Wrong!
Old Oct 16th 2011, 12:01 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know which will be worse.

The inevitable whinging and blaming the ref, someone cheating, the weather, the detergent used on the kit, the half time drinks etc.etc.etc. if the Aussies lose.

Or the endles boasting and adulation if they win.

Whichever is is it will go on and on and on....(

Last edited by Grayling; Oct 16th 2011 at 12:27 am.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DibDob
watch it again Wrong, Wrong and Wrong!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rug...land-have.html

The trouble is that under the laws I am not sure that referee Alain Rolland had any option but to dismiss Warburton. The relevant law was amended last year to read: "lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player's feet are still off the ground such that the player's head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play."

The refs have also been told that they cannot make judgements about intent. It is too subjective in an area such as player welfare. Prompted by the appalling spear tackle on Brian O'Driscoll during the 2005 Lions tour, the IRB decided to act. Quite rightly the IRB decided they had to err on the side of caution.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

DibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really nice

South Africa's former world-cup winning captain Francois Pienaar said: "It was a dangerous tackle, yes. A penalty, yes. Never a red card". "It is dangerous, but this is a World Cup semi-final with all the world watching. You have all the technology at your disposal, why not go to the video referee or ask your touch judge?" "Sam Warburton has been one of the cleanest players at the World Cup. He (Rolland) has killed the game. I'm livid.

same source
Old Oct 16th 2011, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats New Zealand on winning the 2011 RWC!

No team that has ever lost a pool match goes on to win it. France & Australia have both lost pool games, so won't win it now.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DibDob
South Africa's former world-cup winning captain Francois Pienaar said: "It was a dangerous tackle, yes. A penalty, yes. Never a red card". "It is dangerous, but this is a World Cup semi-final with all the world watching. You have all the technology at your disposal, why not go to the video referee or ask your touch judge?" "Sam Warburton has been one of the cleanest players at the World Cup. He (Rolland) has killed the game. I'm livid.

same source
Yes, let the discussions continue, gets the Welshies off the subject of how their kicking choices brought their own downfall.

I'm far from being anti French since I studied & worked there but might not bother watching the Final. The Semi's a beaut though!

Last edited by General Tojo; Oct 16th 2011 at 3:19 am.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling

The inevitable whinging and blaming the ref, someone cheating, the weather, the detergent used on the kit, the half time drinks etc.etc.etc. if the Aussies lose.

I thought it was the Kiwis who come out with all that stuff to explain their chokes? In the Tri-Nations, New Zealand and Australia beat each other enough. As for going on, of course it will...this is the Rugby World Cup.

I can barely wait. I will be pleased with any result - I am torn between Australia and NZ. Australia is my team, but I want to see NZ lift it for the good of the game...actually - just to ring the changes..

A history lesson is in order: if Australia win, they will deserve to gloat - a young team from a country that took 10 years to win the Tri-Nations (leaving aside matches). And it has been 10 years since Australia peaked in that competition and won a World Cup. And NZ will be in dispair. Carter was a loss.

And people still talk about England and 2003...despite that being the peak of what turned out to be a 10 year build - and not really seen since...or perhaps, before...
Old Oct 16th 2011, 8:10 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

nice start
Old Oct 16th 2011, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

twhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud of

I missed the Haka !
Any good ?
Old Oct 16th 2011, 8:25 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Come on All Blacks, early days but looking really good.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 8:35 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Tony Woodcock has changed a lot since the last time I saw him.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 8:39 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling

Old Oct 16th 2011, 8:45 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I will be happy to put up with the whinging and bleating from the Aussies as long as the ABs win it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.