Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Royal Wedding Excitment Down Under

Royal Wedding Excitment Down Under

Old May 19th 2018, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Royal Wedding Excitment Down Under

Originally Posted by Dorothy
What "colourful track record" does she have? As far as I can see she's been a model of decorum and hard worth throughout her life. She has been an advocate for equal rights throughout her life - starting at age 11. She has a double degree from a well respected university and she worked hard to earn her own money. No matter what mud the press and her family has slung she has maintained a dignified silence when a lot of people would have responded. She has been doing humanitarian work for years, long before she met Prince Harry. I think she's a much better person than I am.

I honestly couldn't give a rat's ass about their marriage or the monarchy other than a passing interest - like one would take a passing interest in anything on the news. However it really pisses me off that people who have never met either of these people are quick to judge and say such unkind things about them. What have either of these people ever done to you? (not necessarily you, but you in general)
Tat, tat deep breath and slow exhale. You are quite correct of course. It wasn't me she sent the former wedding ring back by post. If it was I may be just a little peeved off to say the least, especially after a ten year relationship and two year marriage. A definite personality flaw in my book at least.
Never met the woman, hence not my comments that she is 'shallow', although comes as no surprise some may suggest as much. Those being siblings, you may read that how you wish.
While opposites certainly attract and I do believe that is what these two individuals appear to be, it can not necessarily be the making of a successful union.

Come now. What have these people ever done to me? They through nature of their position are in the lime light and as such are 'very open' to public scrutiny. Some will be fair, other not. Some blunt and intrusive but remember they appear to have cast aside certain conventions themselves. Nature of the game, I'm afraid , if one is in a role play as the Royal Family,
could certainly deemed to be.

Obviously as an outside observer, with very limited interest, as any couple setting out on the road as a newly wed, I'd wish them the best. That doesn't detract from the speculation around various aspects of those involved though.
Old May 19th 2018, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

We've been invited to three parties. We're off to a fancy do in our wedding attire. There will be champagne on tap, royal food and even a wedding cake. I have my pink fascinator ready to go.
Old May 19th 2018, 9:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
What no street parties in Jindalee (Little England) highest concentration of outward Brits in Australia. No knees up in Rockingham? No planned football club punch ups in The Old Bailey in Joondalup. Whatever happened to what passes as British culture in Perth Australia?

At least a few on here are getting into the action. That colonial, Zulu fellow appears over the moon with excitement and expect the excitement will mount with the build up to the big event among others.

If not, I mean failing to materialise the excitement, perhaps more a case of English not to make a fuss, preferring a quiet evening in doors in front of the telly chowing on white bread sarnies while gulping down layers of milky tea , informing one another just how lucky they are with attempted sincerity, while gazing wishfully at the pomp and grandeur, with not a few wishing they were elsewhere.
Plenty of parties and celebrations going on, they just aren't listed on BE. Got several friends holding get-togethers tonight around Brisbane, and as I said furtehr up the thread the Pig n Whsitle (Brisbane's largest "British" pub has a big event going on. Its certainly being celebrated. Even my office (which has just one Brit on the staff at present :O has the whole thing on the big screen for night shft to enjoy
Old May 19th 2018, 11:30 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, they let an american evangelical in, and he ... will ... not ... shut .... up.

On, and on and on - about nothing of relevance.

Much longer and Philip is going to get his gun out...
Old May 19th 2018, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Oh dear, they let an american evangelical in, and he ... will ... not ... shut .... up.

On, and on and on - about nothing of relevance.

Much longer and Philip is going to get his gun out...
Wish he had
such a boring man to have to listen to as he was determined to get his "4 hours" of fame. Felt like 4 hours anyway.
Old May 19th 2018, 2:23 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I watched it, and, apart from that American preacher going on a bit, thought the whole thong epitomises what the British do best, pomp and ceremony, even the build up was good, apart from the fact that there were a lot of people I didn't recognise but at least the BBC did pick out Meghan's co-stars from Suits.
Old May 20th 2018, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Actually got roped in the end to attending and outside of the Channel 7 commentator the event passed expectations. I found it far more memorable than Williams wedding, which outside of the unfavourable weather, don't recall much at all. Although the American preacher over stayed his welcome by some length, the inclusion of black culture certainly added to the appeal overall. The gospel singers were a nice touch and contrary to what some commentators suggested, Meghan, has fully embraced her Afro American side it would appear and not painted herself white to conform with the establishment she is marrying into.

Yes there did appear to be a few parties around Perth last night. The Windsor Hotel over in South Perth, dressed themselves up in the appropriate colours, fitting to its name. London Court, in the City Centre was decked out in British colours. Not aware of any street parties but a number of private events like I attended did seem to occurring.
So soon after Eurovision celebration as well. A number of course would have been more interested in The Cup on TV. Perhaps a shame of sorts to have staged both events on the same day?

Meghan is obviously very public savvy. She appears to like attention and goes down well in a crowd. It is obvious she has life experience. My only comment on her performance was on at least three occasions she laughed (possibly through to nerves) after rather serious aspects were conducted during the wedding. It could appear to diminish sincerity in the eyes of an observer but overall well done ceremony.
Old May 20th 2018, 2:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually got roped in the end to attending and outside of the Channel 7 commentator the event passed expectations. I found it far more memorable than Williams wedding, which outside of the unfavourable weather, don't recall much at all. Although the American preacher over stayed his welcome by some length, the inclusion of black culture certainly added to the appeal overall. The gospel singers were a nice touch and contrary to what some commentators suggested, Meghan, has fully embraced her Afro American side it would appear and not painted herself white to conform with the establishment she is marrying into.

Yes there did appear to be a few parties around Perth last night. The Windsor Hotel over in South Perth, dressed themselves up in the appropriate colours, fitting to its name. London Court, in the City Centre was decked out in British colours. Not aware of any street parties but a number of private events like I attended did seem to occurring.
So soon after Eurovision celebration as well. A number of course would have been more interested in The Cup on TV. Perhaps a shame of sorts to have staged both events on the same day?

Meghan is obviously very public savvy. She appears to like attention and goes down well in a crowd. It is obvious she has life experience. My only comment on her performance was on at least three occasions she laughed (possibly through to nerves) after rather serious aspects were conducted during the wedding. It could appear to diminish sincerity in the eyes of an observer but overall well done ceremony.
Good grief you're unbelievably pompous and patronising. One point - when people are incredibly happy they smile and laugh. A wedding of two people quite obviously very much in love should not be solemn. It should be, and was, a joyous occasion. It was a private family wedding that we were lucky enough to be invited to. It wasn't a State event as William and Catherine's was.
Old May 20th 2018, 2:21 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Actually got roped in the end to attending and outside of the Channel 7 commentator the event passed expectations. I found it far more memorable than Williams wedding, which outside of the unfavourable weather, don't recall much at all. Although the American preacher over stayed his welcome by some length, the inclusion of black culture certainly added to the appeal overall. The gospel singers were a nice touch and contrary to what some commentators suggested, Meghan, has fully embraced her Afro American side it would appear and not painted herself white to conform with the establishment she is marrying into..
Apparently reports are that the loony american preacher went off-script almost immediately. It was 20 mins of waffle because he was winging it - which for being invited to say a few words at a royal wedding was a pretty poor show. American god-botherers seem to have been saying "he was great, did nothing wrong, and should have gone on longer", whereas the Brits were "what is he on, when is he going to shut up, and look at the laughs and scowls from the royals having to put up with the ranter."

I get the feeling he was there was not for Meghan as such, but because the only member of her family that was there was her mother, and she was all for that kind of ranting christianity. She certainly seemed to be the only one enjoying it in the church. Personally I also think the gospel singers were well out of place, but maybe that was just thrown into sharp relief by the priest.

Hopefully we have no more similar events for a few decades - I don't think there are any more major unmarried royals. Next will likely be a succession of funerals ...
Old May 20th 2018, 2:39 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently reports are that the loony american preacher went off-script almost immediately. It was 20 mins of waffle because he was winging it - which for being invited to say a few words at a royal wedding was a pretty poor show. American god-botherers seem to have been saying "he was great, did nothing wrong, and should have gone on longer", whereas the Brits were "what is he on, when is he going to shut up, and look at the laughs and scowls from the royals having to put up with the ranter."

I get the feeling he was there was not for Meghan as such, but because the only member of her family that was there was her mother, and she was all for that kind of ranting christianity. She certainly seemed to be the only one enjoying it in the church. Personally I also think the gospel singers were well out of place, but maybe that was just thrown into sharp relief by the priest.

Hopefully we have no more similar events for a few decades - I don't think there are any more major unmarried royals. Next will likely be a succession of funerals ...
Bah humbug

Get over yourself champ
Old May 20th 2018, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Good grief you're unbelievably pompous and patronising. One point - when people are incredibly happy they smile and laugh. A wedding of two people quite obviously very much in love should not be solemn. It should be, and was, a joyous occasion. It was a private family wedding that we were lucky enough to be invited to. It wasn't a State event as William and Catherine's was.
My apologies for being obviously too' high brow' for your comprehension but pompous, no I do not accept that? I certainly consider laughing on several occasions not in place. Still regardless of the alleged pomposity displayed, according to your estimation , I had the good grace to further add nervous may have played a part. Well no it wasn't entirely a private family function and nor could it be. The British public would have expected it.

Now remind me just who pays for the security and policing of the event? Negative? Not a tick question, the British tax payer. Now add the boost to the economy that wouldn't have occurred if all behind closed doors. Pretty much impossible to delude yourself that the great British public and others could somehow be bypassed in such an event.

A couple obviously in love? Now what was the narrative back in 1981 during another shin dig along similar lines? No don't feel lucky at all. But as I wrote it went of better than expected.....on my part ....
Old May 20th 2018, 4:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I can't disagree with the points raised. But I actually quite liked the gospel singers. Without the additional touches it would in my view have been a repeat of Williams, rather bland affair.
It does appear Meghan inserted quite some influence over matters , one wonders just how much 'influence' she exerts over Harry? Three years older and a 'bit of a past' (to which a peep found somehow offensive, when last used the term) Her worldliness may well fascinate him.

But mustn't speculate. The Farcebook apparent crowd on here will be spitting chips and calling for resurrection of the gallows at The Tower such an utterance of contempt.
Old May 20th 2018, 4:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find a lot of us are smart enough to have managed to watch the wedding and all the associated footage AND watch the Cup Final as well.
Absolutely no reason why they shouldn't have been on the same day, the Cup Final date is set way back before the start f the season, the wedding date wouldve been a personal choice, but it doesn't really matter as the two events were hours apart.
Old May 20th 2018, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gosh this thread does attract some smart people. Absolutely no reason what so ever. Combine the two. Thinking outside the box. I've most certainly been hit around the outfield for runs (again) with my stodgy bowling. Like it. Not to say perhaps a slightly different 'fan' base may prove to be the case as well. Anyway trust you enjoyed your night of high/low brow entertainment. Definitely way to go.
Old May 22nd 2018, 1:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm honestly confused by the comments regarding Meghan exerting some influence over the wedding. It was her wedding, was she supposed to close her ears, eyes and mouth with regards to how the wedding went? From personal experience both my husband and I decided on every aspect of our wedding. Also it was reported that the Archbishop of Canterbury suggested quite late on that they include an American religious person. I'm sure both Meghan and Harry thought that a bloody nice idea. The fact he went on a bit long is neither here not there. He made everyone smile and laugh - how dare he. It was a private ceremony in so much as it was not a State event. That they said yes to the filming of it, doesn't mean it wasn't a private family event.

As for her maybe appearing more 'worldliwise' because she's (shock horror) an actress who's three years older than him, wtaf? Maybe he's looking for a mummy figure, given the age difference is so massive. - That was sarcasm by the way.

Edit: couldn't be bothered to quote, I'm too busy being grateful my husband is only a month older than me.

Last edited by moneypenny20; May 22nd 2018 at 2:34 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.