British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Royal Wedding Excitment Down Under (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/royal-wedding-excitment-down-under-912909/)

the troubadour May 18th 2018 5:12 am

Royal Wedding Excitment Down Under

Anyone of the patriots or expats celebrating the forthcoming wedding of the year (if it lasts that long) ? Got an invite last night to a Perth suburban do celebrating the Big Occasion. No doubt hoping I'd make and bring along some of my rather prized scones.

It sounds a bit of a knees up with Union Jack bunting and sounds and whatever. Sounds a pile of fun but politely declined. Not really my sort of thing , still no doubt some of the damsels on this forum will be following in similar mode?

Meanwhile..Chin chin....pass the gin.....

the troubadour May 18th 2018 9:39 am

Re: Royal Wedding Excitment Down Under

Anyway the American outlaws, those whom are attending have rolled into London.

I can only hazard a guess that the femme fatales that inhabit this forum are disposed trying on figuratively speaking, each others frocks. Or further engaged on the dark side......

moneypenny20 May 18th 2018 11:13 am

I'll probably watch it, nothing more than that. I am really disgusted by the UK media who seem to have done everything possible to derail the event and slaughter the poor woman simply because she's not British white upper class. My daughter lives in Oxford, she's got a day off today and has decided to go down and check out Windsor for a few hours. Probably chaotic but these things don't happen very often.

Pollyana May 18th 2018 11:19 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12501593)
I'll probably watch it, nothing more than that. I am really disgusted by the UK media who seem to have done everything possible to derail the event and slaughter the poor woman simply because she's not British white upper class. My daughter lives in Oxford, she's got a day off today and has decided to go down and check out Windsor for a few hours. Probably chaotic but these things don't happen very often.

Thats the thing, it doesn't happen often, let's make the most of it. The Pig & Whistle in Brisbane is having a big wedding party, 4 hours of TV coverage, people dressing up etc. Worth popping in for a pint just to see what people come up with I reckon.

Beoz May 18th 2018 11:48 am

I am really disgusted by the UK media who seem to have done everything possible to derail the event and slaughter the poor woman simply because she's not British white upper class.

I guess they were hoping members of the royal family would have derailed it for them.

The press must be so disappointed that they had to do the job they thought white upper class would do for them.

GarryP May 18th 2018 12:46 pm

I don't think the UK media can be blamed for this one. The white trash inlaws have seemingly done everything to make the marriage about them, rather than her. How complex is it to keep your trap shut and turn up in some sober clothes? Not sure it's a marriage that will last, but then again, what does? No more consequential than the average awards ceremony. The problem in being in the figurehead business is, in the end you aren't people, you are decorative pieces of wood. Particularly when you are sixth in line to the purely ceremonial throne.

Still better than President Abbott.

Dorothy May 18th 2018 12:55 pm

I'm not really all that interested. I have watched a couple of docos recently on TV but only because my partner is on afternoon shift so I'm home alone and bored. We're going to drinks at the neighbours' place tomorrow night so I doubt we'll be watching it.

christmasoompa May 18th 2018 2:05 pm

I am really disgusted by the UK media who seem to have done everything possible to derail the event and slaughter the poor woman simply because she's not British white upper class.

I was actually thinking the other day how the media seems very fond of her, they've been far kinder to her than they were to 'Waity Katy' I think! She seems to have won them over, most newspapers and tv stations seem very pro Meghan from what I've seen here in the UK. Her family however, have been slaughtered........but rightly so IMO.

DeadVim May 18th 2018 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12501598)
Thats the thing, it doesn't happen often, let's make the most of it. The Pig & Whistle in Brisbane is having a big wedding party, 4 hours of TV coverage, people dressing up etc. Worth popping in for a pint just to see what people come up with I reckon.

No Test at The Gabba this year so got to cling on to something I guess. :lol:

I wish them all the best (like I would any other couple embarking on the process of locking in social/financial security through personal surrender) but I’d rather roll my eyes out with rusty spoons than watch the shebang.

I’m heading down to Broadbeach for the Blues festival ... long weekend ahoy!

Amazulu May 18th 2018 2:26 pm

I'll be glued to BBC iplayer all day

Dreamy May 18th 2018 10:14 pm

I don't imagine we'll be watching it, I guess the coverage will be on this evening? Way too much other rubbish to watch :D
I definitely think that mainstream telly here in Australia has been doing a secret mission of 'let's naff everyone off with our wall to wall coverage of all things Royal so that the next republic referendum will be a cinch'.

ozzieeagle May 19th 2018 12:07 am

1 Attachment(s)
Well I Never!!

I was thinking about all of this royals stuff.... Lots of commerative gear.

Never seen a divorce issue before. I'm having a chat with some Adelaide pottery people I know ;)

Not re Meghan and Harry I might add. I really do with them all the best, hope they last forever. Just in general...

the troubadour May 19th 2018 12:56 am

All things considered the tabloid UK media has behaved with a degree of decorum all things considered, as far as I can see. What ever blame should be levelled at those in charge of Royal Protocol for not assisting the American side appropriately getting their act together.

Considering the step brother and sister suggested Meghan was 'shallow' along with a few other character assassination gems, not at all too bad.

It wouldn't have been too long ago that the establishment would have likely come down hard on an American, of colour, a divorcee, with a colourful track record , as to make such a union unthinkable. Times have certainly moved on. Meghan, is I believe, the age of Diana when she died. Who knows if the marriage is durable? I certainly wouldn't put too many shekels on it as have certain doubts, but does it even matter?

Dorothy May 19th 2018 3:26 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12501952)
All things considered the tabloid UK media has behaved with a degree of decorum all things considered, as far as I can see. What ever blame should be levelled at those in charge of Royal Protocol for not assisting the American side appropriately getting their act together.

Considering the step brother and sister suggested Meghan was 'shallow' along with a few other character assassination gems, not at all too bad.

It wouldn't have been too long ago that the establishment would have likely come down hard on an American, of colour, a divorcee, with a colourful track record , as to make such a union unthinkable. Times have certainly moved on. Meghan, is I believe, the age of Diana when she died. Who knows if the marriage is durable? I certainly wouldn't put too many shekels on it as have certain doubts, but does it even matter?

What "colourful track record" does she have? As far as I can see she's been a model of decorum and hard work throughout her life. She has been an advocate for equal rights throughout her life - starting at age 11. She has a double degree from a well respected university and she worked hard to earn her own money. No matter what mud the press and her family has slung she has maintained a dignified silence when a lot of people would have responded. She has been doing humanitarian work for years, long before she met Prince Harry. I think she's a much better person than I am.

I honestly couldn't give a rat's ass about their marriage or the monarchy other than a passing interest - like one would take a passing interest in anything on the news. However it really pisses me off that people who have never met either of these people are quick to judge and say such unkind things about them. What have either of these people ever done to you? (not necessarily you, but you in general)

the troubadour May 19th 2018 3:32 am

What no street parties in Jindalee (Little England) highest concentration of outward Brits in Australia. No knees up in Rockingham? No planned football club punch ups in The Old Bailey in Joondalup. Whatever happened to what passes as British culture in Perth Australia?

At least a few on here are getting into the action. That colonial, Zulu fellow appears over the moon with excitement and expect the excitement will mount with the build up to the big event among others.

If not, I mean failing to materialise the excitement, perhaps more a case of English not to make a fuss, preferring a quiet evening in doors in front of the telly chowing on white bread sarnies while gulping down layers of milky tea , informing one another just how lucky they are with attempted sincerity, while gazing wishfully at the pomp and grandeur, with not a few wishing they were elsewhere.