Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Rising electricity prices.

Rising electricity prices.

Old Dec 12th 2013, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rising electricity prices.

Originally Posted by GarryP
I vote this is added to the list of smilies
Me too. I mean, its only a smilie of a bald woman, blowing on her freshly painted nail varnish.. nothing offensive.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=chris955;11030919]No, not here. I just saw this and was amazed, we had noticed electricity going through the roof the 12 years we were in Queensland but wow this was a shock.
http://m.couriermail.com.au/news/que...b_uid=94240656[/QUOTE

Thanks for the update Nelson. Does the recent increase in electricity prices mean that we 'poor' Australians will now how to pay even more to read your crap ? ...sad news indeed

Given the depths you dredge in your vain attempts to disparage Australia, I can only imagine how much it must hurt you to have to be back having to endure the limited joys of your septic isle after your time in this fair country.

Try not to worry about the cost of the 'leccy' too much mate. Look on the bright side... you'll be able to turn off your central heating in another four or five months
Old Dec 12th 2013, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

aside from the argument ohh the OP was trying to disparage australia...

The fact remains this will be a total increase of 94% in 6 years. $1200 for an 'average' family. Our power bill, 5 beds with pool but off offset by a small solar system is around $2400 a year. Only use the AC about 30 days a year, cut pool time in half and scrub manually once a week, all appliances 4 or 5 star.

The thread interested me as I just paid a origin bill and was startled to hear that by using a credit card ( not amex just a visa/mastercard) a further 6% would apply to the entire bill Thats bloody ridiculous.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

The fact remains this will be a total increase of 94% in 6 years. $1200 for an 'average' family. Our power bill, 5 beds with pool but off offset by a small solar system is around $2400 a year. Only use the AC about 30 days a year, cut pool time in half and scrub manually once a week, all appliances 4 or 5 star.

The thread interested me as I just paid a origin bill and was startled to hear that by using a credit card ( not amex just a visa/mastercard) a further 6% would apply to the entire bill Thats bloody ridiculous.
Electricity charges are crippling. I pay $134 a fortnight. That's $3484 a year.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Fossil fuels are getting more expensive, harder to acquire, more dodgy characters and long supply lines.

House prices are continuing to rise in the bubble - turning a roof over your head into an investment vehicle for the rich.

At the same time wages are stagnant at best.

Something is going to break, at some point; it's only a matter of when.

The price of fuel, and thus of electricity, isn't going to fall (tied to real costs). Wages aren't going to rise significantly (too much offshoring). Thus my guess is living standards will collapse, and the housing market with it.
And yet Australia is still to discover nuclear power---and some say --the wheel.

Old Dec 12th 2013, 4:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCreature
Electricity charges are crippling. I pay $134 a fortnight. That's $3484 a year.
Get solar...we don't get a bill..

it also helps we didn't buy a huge house..

Jad - I don't think anyone disputes the facts of rising prices : it is just Little Englanders with little brains that annoy!
Not only did Chris manage to cop it in Qld he's now had the benefit of a Daily Mail demographic injection or transplant.

He may not claim to read the Mail of course..in such a case the point would be lost on him...

What amuses me somewhat: there is no need to complain that prices have doubled or tripled in 13 years or a similarly long term period..history shows us prices do these...time waits for no man...!
Old Dec 12th 2013, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
No, not here. I just saw this and was amazed, we had noticed electricity going through the roof the 12 years we were in Queensland but wow this was a shock.
http://m.couriermail.com.au/news/que...b_uid=94240656
Hey Nelson...With 2,500 people a week dying of cold in the septic isles because they can't afford to heat their homes. Shouldn't your concerns be focused a little closer to your new homeland ?

40,000 people a year dying because they can't afford to put the heat on and Nelson is on here telling us about the high cost of Australian power ?

If it wasn't for the tragic loss of life it would be funny.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...hit-2-500.html
Old Dec 12th 2013, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino
Hey Nelson...With 2,500 people a week dying of cold in the septic isles because they can't afford to heat their homes. Shouldn't your concerns be focused a little closer to your new homeland ?

40,000 people a year dying because they can't afford to put the heat on and Nelson is on here telling us about the high cost of Australian power ?

Of course prices have gone up by more in Australia...this is cause for celebration for Chris...disguised as assistance to consumers of the board..

there are a lot of variables..I also see that Qld with it's sunshine is a huge generator of power..
Old Dec 12th 2013, 5:09 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino

Chris won't believe that report is factual because it's in the Daily Mail
Old Dec 12th 2013, 5:24 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont worry about the little gang, it seems to be how they get their jollies.
It is the rate of rise that amazes me and the fact that they promised not to do it. Must have had their fingers crossed. Our electricity has just gone up 3.5% and than annoyed me.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 5:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

It's 0.6% but don't let that get in the way of a good whinge:
http://www.originenergy.com.au/591/Pay-my-bill

Even so, 0.6% is too much. It should be nothing
Old Dec 12th 2013, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I've got the UK prices as Dearer ????

Here we go....http://www.britishgas.co.uk/products...iff-rates.html

26p per day delivery charge....andr 13.94 pence per Kwh hour = to 24Cents per Kwh.... and 47 cents delivery per day charge.

V

http://www.redenergy.com.au/epis/vic/submit

22.67 cents per Kwh or 85 cents per day delivery charge.... = 46 p per day delivery charge and 12.13 pence per Kwh

Most houses use around 28Kwh per day in Aus.

So taking the dearer standing charge into account and the actual cheaper electricity in Australia, it works out similar..... Then theres the 40pct average higher wages in Australia

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 12th 2013 at 5:30 am.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

It is the rate of rise that amazes me and the fact that they promised not to do it. Must have had their fingers crossed. Our electricity has just gone up 3.5% and than annoyed me.
They did say 'much' very quietly.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 5:31 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 12th 2013, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's how you get your jollies that amuses people...
the gang represent the tip of the iceberg...

you're worthy of some sort of scrutiny...

for better or worse..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.