Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Returning to full time education

Wikiposts

Returning to full time education

Old Jan 17th 2007, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Re: Returning to full time education

Originally Posted by esperanza
Good for you, but you picked teaching?!

I have teaching quals & experience but I want to do something else in Oz.
Does any one know what fees I would pay as a PR? Are there any residency requirements, like being in the country a certain amount of time, before you can pay standard fees rather than international?
And has anyone done/is anyone doing distance learning? I'm not sure where we will be in April, but it might be my only option!
The fees would depend on the type of course that you are doing - is it commonwealth supported-

Band 1 Humanities · Behavioural Science · Social Studies · Foreign Languages · Visual and Performing Arts $4,996*

Band 2 Accounting · Economics · Commerce · Mathematics · Statistics · Computing · Built Environment · Health · Engineering · Science · Surveying · Agriculture $7,118*

Band 3 Law · Dentistry · Medicine · Veterinary Science $8,333
Band NP Education, Nursing courses only $3,998*

*The above are not exact fees but just examples

You will to pay your course fees if you are on a PR - if you are a citizen you can defer via HECS.
You might be able to get onto a course that has an intake in the second semester. If you want to do a Masters then this will all be totally different.
Good luck anyway.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Um, the first year of an open universities science degree.

Biology, chemistry etc.
Hubby is a chemist so give us a shout if you have any chemistry questions and he will try to help .
Enjoy
Nicky
Old Jan 17th 2007, 4:00 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NickyP
Hubby is a chemist so give us a shout if you have any chemistry questions and he will try to help .
Enjoy
Nicky
Thanks.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debsy
The fees would depend on the type of course that you are doing - is it commonwealth supported-

Band 1 Humanities · Behavioural Science · Social Studies · Foreign Languages · Visual and Performing Arts $4,996*

Band 2 Accounting · Economics · Commerce · Mathematics · Statistics · Computing · Built Environment · Health · Engineering · Science · Surveying · Agriculture $7,118*

Band 3 Law · Dentistry · Medicine · Veterinary Science $8,333
Band NP Education, Nursing courses only $3,998*

*The above are not exact fees but just examples

You will to pay your course fees if you are on a PR - if you are a citizen you can defer via HECS.
You might be able to get onto a course that has an intake in the second semester. If you want to do a Masters then this will all be totally different.
Good luck anyway.

Hmmmm.... not so cheap if you want a useful qualification... I keep getting distracted by degrees that look really interesting, but the whole point of doing something new is to access a proper career that pays well! I did briefly look in to taking out a loan, but the last thing I need is ANOTHER huge student loan. I might look in to on the job training for something financial - it would be v nice to get paid to get qualified, even if it was a low salary. Will have to wait and see what there is when I get out there I suppose!
Old Jan 20th 2007, 9:40 am
comnurse

comnurse is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Go for it! I'm almost 50 years old and 5 years ago after my daughter got a degree I decided to try university myself, I left school having never taken any exams at all. I did a diploma first, and then a module at degree level in nursing, I am now 1/3 of the way through a degree and enjoying every minute of it. I'ts such a confidence booster to pass something and gain a certificate in academia. On the whole the tutors are very supportive of mature students. I should be writing 3,000 words and preparing for a major presentation, instead I'm sitting here drinking wine listening to Russel Brand on the radio! Typical student.