Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Returning to full time education

Wikiposts

Returning to full time education

Old Jan 14th 2007, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Returning to full time education

I was just wondering if anyone has returned to full time education after a very long gap? If so how did you find it.
Thanks
Debs
Old Jan 15th 2007, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Re: Returning to full time education

There must be someone out there that has returned to Uni as an old fogey like me!
Old Jan 15th 2007, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debsy
There must be someone out there that has returned to Uni as an old fogey like me!
im doing Ou if that helps but im still in Uk , Nicky p is going back to education to do teacher training and she is in oz
Mandy
Old Jan 15th 2007, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

mysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of light

I'm at Uni, Just starting my second year ... it is weird at first, out of my comfort zone, but I am loving it! I do feel old sometimes though, but luckily my course isn't full of 18 year olds.

Wish I had done it earlier but life isn't set up that way is it, othere things always get in the way.

Was there something specific you wanted to know?

Nikki
xx
Old Jan 15th 2007, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

I've just finished my 1st year and going back next month to start my 2nd year. It was 13 years away from studying, for me!

I've really enjoyed it so far, although I find you have to be pretty well organised to manage a house, hubby, kids and work, along with studying (especially if you want to get good grades) but well worth it.

I thought it would be all young kids out of school but have made friends with 'mature' aged students aswell as the younger ones and we all support one another.

Good luck!
Old Jan 15th 2007, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

I have just enrolled for my Dip Ed here (PGCE in the UK) which starts in Feb. It will be a hard year because I will have to juggle the full time course with 4 kids although hubby will help of course. I finished my initial degree in 1996 and started a PGCE in 1999 but had to stop when we moved so it has been a long time since I was at Uni.
I am looking forward to it but am pretty nervous as well. I can't tell you what it is like at the moment but will let you know once I get thrown in the deep end .
Good luck and go for it, part of us moving here was so that I could qualify and start myself a career that I can enjoy after spending a long time at home and doing fill in jobs.
Nicky
Old Jan 15th 2007, 7:40 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NickyP
I have just enrolled for my Dip Ed here (PGCE in the UK) which starts in Feb. It will be a hard year because I will have to juggle the full time course with 4 kids although hubby will help of course. I finished my initial degree in 1996 and started a PGCE in 1999 but had to stop when we moved so it has been a long time since I was at Uni.
I am looking forward to it but am pretty nervous as well. I can't tell you what it is like at the moment but will let you know once I get thrown in the deep end .
Good luck and go for it, part of us moving here was so that I could qualify and start myself a career that I can enjoy after spending a long time at home and doing fill in jobs.
Nicky
I'm starting again soon. Must be mad.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Wink Re: Returning to full time education

Oh well, at least I am not the only one
I am feeling a tad nervous, but it is nice to hear that there seems to be quite a few Mature students around - although not quite as mature as myself I expect.

I was originally going to do a course through OU but I thought I would take a chance and try for a place at Uni (which I did not think I would get).

Now trying to get my head around it all - HECS etc, but I am really look forward to the 'challenge'

Good luck to all of you and thanks for your replies
Old Jan 16th 2007, 1:28 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Me..me....I'm halfway through a 4 year degree in education and I left school in 1983!!!

I'm loving it!
Old Jan 16th 2007, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Nicky
Good for you, but you picked teaching?!

I have teaching quals & experience but I want to do something else in Oz.
Does any one know what fees I would pay as a PR? Are there any residency requirements, like being in the country a certain amount of time, before you can pay standard fees rather than international?
And has anyone done/is anyone doing distance learning? I'm not sure where we will be in April, but it might be my only option!
Old Jan 16th 2007, 5:05 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Returning to full time education

I did...
i went back to ft education after 9 years...i had just divorced and moved back to cheltenham, i enrolled into uni, thinking i would do an access course first, but was put straight onto the course.
i was surrounded by 18 year olds, there were 3 other 'mature' students...
and i have to say i made great friends, with the 18yr olds aswell as the older students.
the work wasnt that difficult, its just a case of being organised with your time - which im not!
ive graduated, but have yet to put my qualifications to use as i then (met oh) had my lil man and home schooled my daughter, ive started looking for work now, to get back into it and keep up to date with it!
I am also in contact with my uni friends, 2 of whom are in my top 10 of mates.

Go for it, its a fantastic experience.
Good Luck
kat xxx
Old Jan 16th 2007, 6:15 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debsy
I was just wondering if anyone has returned to full time education after a very long gap? If so how did you find it.
Thanks
Debs
Student bar was fantastic
Old Jan 16th 2007, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
Good for you, but you picked teaching?!

I have teaching quals & experience but I want to do something else in Oz.
Does any one know what fees I would pay as a PR? Are there any residency requirements, like being in the country a certain amount of time, before you can pay standard fees rather than international?
And has anyone done/is anyone doing distance learning? I'm not sure where we will be in April, but it might be my only option!
I have always wanted to teach so have decided that it is time to actually give it a go. I like the fact that here I will be able to teach prep to year 12 so I can decide whether I want primary or seconday after doing the course.
A friend of mine is planning to go back to Uni, after teaching for a VERY long time, to retrain as a social worker. She is really nervous and whether she actually gets the forms in is still to be seen but the course looks excellent and there is a real shortage of qualified social workers here.
I have PR and am going to have to pay just under $4000 for the year with a Commonwealth funded place. There is no residency requirement apart from having PR and fees have to be pain in advance each semester. We have no access to HECS until citizenship. There are plenty of off campus courses out there it just depends on what subjects you want as some are more available than others.
Good luck and have fun.
Nicky
Old Jan 16th 2007, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iPom
I'm starting again soon. Must be mad.
Good luck what course are you doing?
Nicky
Old Jan 16th 2007, 9:26 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck what course are you doing?
Nicky
Um, the first year of an open universities science degree.

Biology, chemistry etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.