Racism - Australia

Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:44 am
HCJ
Forum Regular

HCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Racism - Australia

Originally Posted by Eastend Girl
They call chinks 'power points' here - is that acceptable??
That is funny but why 'power point'?

I find the cheerful and casual racism of many Australians one of the reasons I like living here.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HCJ
That is funny but why 'power point'?
In Australia, the two upper holes for the pins slant.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:11 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Totally agree.

At work im the Pommy Bastard.

Does not bother me one IOTA

However, if you do wanna give as good as ya get... call a qld'er a bloody mexican !! n wink

Shuts up em straight away
Mexican...?? dont they live south of the border..?? calling a Qlder a mexican ???we used call victorians ,mexicans i think you got it mixed up...mm
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:27 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
That's what I will never understand. You can say pom, kiwi, wog but you can't say paki, chink, abbo. As far as I'm concerned the word itself is not racist whatever anyone else says, it's all down to what words precedes it and what tone of voice is used when saying it.
You make a very good point, over here they're just terms to differentiate peoples race, background. While in the Uk, the use of these terms as an insult has been perfected.

When I moved into my house the guy over the road greeted me with open arms saying "you poms are ok, when my boy was over there you guys looked after him"

A little later I met his son-in-law who greeted me by saying "yous fukin poms have fuked up the world economy" Not the brightest of buttons, but the narrow minded biggoted ones rarely are.

Of course Iinstantly apologised for taking 50 quid out 3 weeks earlier to go on the piss with, knew I shouldn't have done it
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:31 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I will never understand. You can say pom, kiwi, wog but you can't say paki, chink, abbo. As far as I'm concerned the word itself is not racist whatever anyone else says, it's all down to what words precedes it and what tone of voice is used when saying it.
...and the context in which it's used. As far back as I can remember when the first Chinese people opened a restaurant and a take away in my old town, we called it 'the chinkies', as in "popping up the chinkies, do you want anything?" I have a very good friend here in Perth who is Chinese/English. Her parents and grandparents moved over to Manchester when she was 10. She has a Manchester accent, but she said her parents never did fully get the hang of speaking English, although they tried and, her grandparents never did. She said that because of this, they stayed within their own 'Chinese' communities. She also told me that the older Chinese elders didn't want to or like to integrate because they are racist people. She doesn't mind hearing 'chinky' at all, same as her English OH doesn't mind being called a pom.

I also have a close friend here who has a Chinese MIL, but because my friend is Indian/English and her and the 3 gorgeous looking children have a darker skin, she won't have anything to do with them 'cos she is colour racist.

Totally agree.

At work im the Pommy Bastard.

Does not bother me one IOTA

However, if you do wanna give as good as ya get... call a qld'er a bloody mexican !! n wink

Shuts up em straight away
Never heard of that one. What's that all about?
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
...and the context in which it's used. As far back as I can remember when the first Chinese people opened a restaurant and a take away in my old town, we called it 'the chinkies', as in "popping up the chinkies, do you want anything?" I have a very good friend here in Perth who is Chinese/English. Her parents and grandparents moved over to Manchester when she was 10. She has a Manchester accent, but she said her parents never did fully get the hang of speaking English, although they tried and, her grandparents never did. She said that because of this, they stayed within their own 'Chinese' communities. She also told me that the older Chinese elders didn't want to or like to integrate because they are racist people. She doesn't mind hearing 'chinky' at all, same as her English OH doesn't mind being called a pom.

I also have a close friend here who has a Chinese MIL, but because my friend is Indian/English and her and the 3 gorgeous looking children have a darker skin, she won't have anything to do with them 'cos she is colour racist.

Never heard of that one. What's that all about?
Mexicans. South of the Border. Normally Victorians who are 'apparently' thought of as inferior to QLDers. To call a Queenslander a Mexican is low

We used to have a corner shop not far from us in the UK, it was run by a lovely Pakistani family whose kids were at school with mine and who were fab. We used to say we were going down the Paki shop. Meant nothing racist, it was just like saying going down to the sweet shop or similar.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:53 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Mexicans. South of the Border. Normally Victorians who are 'apparently' thought of as inferior to QLDers. To call a Queenslander a Mexican is low

We used to have a corner shop not far from us in the UK, it was run by a lovely Pakistani family whose kids were at school with mine and who were fab. We used to say we were going down the Paki shop. Meant nothing racist, it was just like saying going down to the sweet shop or similar.
It amazes me how each Australian state seems to dislike another. I worked with a couple of people who were born and bred here in WA and they took the pee wee out of the young guy from Victoria mercilessly. They also said they hated Q'landers and I could never understand why.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

It amazes me how each Australian state seems to dislike another. I worked with a couple of people who were born and bred here in WA and they took the pee wee out of the young guy from Victoria mercilessly. They also said they hated Q'landers and I could never understand why.
I know! No worse than the English, Welsh, Irish and Scottish who all seem to hate each other though (or should I say they all hate the English ). And then there's the 'north/south divide'. What the?!
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:16 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by rabsody
I know! No worse than the English, Welsh, Irish and Scottish who all seem to hate each other though (or should I say they all hate the English ). And then there's the 'north/south divide'. What the?!
Yeh I know, but I don't hate any nation/division of a country, so I find it extremely weird that people do for no reason other than they weren't born where you were.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:21 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeh I know, but I don't hate any nation/division of a country, so I find it extremely weird that people do for no reason other than they weren't born where you were.
Think you gotta be a bit on the dim side to hate someone purely cos of their nationality. It also shows a complete lack of imagination, I myself hate people for an astounding array of reasons
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Me too.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 11:10 am
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
In Australia, the two upper holes for the pins slant.
Yeah, i got that bit, which is quite funny (in an Irish joke/Bernard Manning kind of way), but would be even funnier if Asians had vertical mouths....which they, er, don't.

Talking of racism, i was speaking to an Aussie today, who made a resonable point (which is why it stuck in head ) about how the leap from Hitler demonising Jews to "people" or the media currently demonising muslims isn't too great.

Still, extreme muslims are inclined to blow people up if they don't share their beliefs, and i don't think extreme Jews ever did anything like that.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 11:29 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I find this one hard to comprehend i must admit.

I mean i always thought it was prisoner of mother england, and so therefore, surely im not the pome, but the many descendants of aussies here in Oz, surely should be called Pomes?

Would like clarity on this plz.
To clarify. By Prisoners of Mother England they don't mean Prisoners FROM Mother England as most Poms seem to interpret it. It means Prisoners OF Mother England in the same vein as Prisoner of Her Majesty.

It's a joke implying that the Poms are stuck in the prison called England instead of being free in Aus.

I think some Poms are too caught up with the Aussies are convicts thing to spot the joke.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Apr 27th 2008 at 11:39 am.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 11:38 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I quite like being a Mexican: much better than being a Banana Bender, Crow Muncher, Cockroach or a Sand Groper.

Apple Muncher's okay though.

Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:54 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
To clarify. By Prisoners of Mother England they don't mean Prisoners FROM Mother England as most Poms seem to interpret it. It means Prisoners OF Mother England in the same vein as Prisoner of Her Majesty.

It's a joke implying that the Poms are stuck in the prison called England instead of being free in Aus.

I think some Poms are too caught up with the Aussies are convicts thing to spot the joke.

That kinda makes sense, and clarifies why we are called POMS.

But if we were classed as Prisoners of Mother England, then we would have been sent to the antipodean penal colony.. which would be Oz.

??

Ste

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.