Racism - Australia

Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism - Australia

Originally Posted by Eastend Girl
They call chinks 'power points' here - is that acceptable??
Since when

I don't think there is any more racism here than in the UK. There will always be the arseholes who are racist but they are in a minority IMO. Being called a bloody pom doesn't worry me, most of the time it's being affectionate but if someone looked at me with hate and called me a f***ing Pom I'd have to explain the meaning to them and put them straight. It's all in the tone of voice. I say (in the privacy of my own home) Paki. Now I know I can be stoned to death for that - Jehovah - but I'm saying it in a harmless short form much like Aussie. I'm not being racist. I distinguish people by different ways. I have a mate from NZ who's over and I described him as a Kiwi - is that racist? not in my book it's not.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:38 am
Account Closed

The OH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I've never understood why certain Poms complain about racism towards themselves, but feel that it is perfectly acceptable to call oriental people "Chinks".

I cringe every time I hear it over here. It's totally unacceptable Down Under, but in the UK nobody seems to care.

Anyone using that word in Australia is asking for a slap - and should get one.
Plenty of "Chinkys" in the UK and in your adopted town Walsall, you are one very lucky Aussie to witness first hand the Black Country dialect, my Mother was born in Blackheath.

Appreciate the 'heads up' and understand the strong trading relationship you
have here with the Chinese, let me return the favour.......

I was only 10 years old when Enoch Powell made his River of Blood speech, [my Google friend you'll make a good Company Secretary one day]

Coincidentally the same year as Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen became Premier of Queensland and I'm guessing you were just the best bit down your fathers leg in 1968.

Do you reckon our Aynoch would have made a good Prime Minister?

So give yourself a slap on the back for having Krudd with his Apology speech. But I still think a lot of Aussies are a bunch of racist bastards, must be a Chink in their culture
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:44 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

It doesnt bother me at all.

I've had racist abuse while at school - by other brits!

I just think that the person saying these things have no idea about anything in general and really are not worth bothering about. If they want to be like that then let them, they are obviously far too busy in their own self-important little worlds to notice that there are better things and people out there who a far more interesting than they will ever hope to be.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:56 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't pome an acromym of Prisoner of Mother England??

Get called an effing pom all the time at work, never bothered me cos they never got bothered by the reply. Don't think there's any offence meant, not in my case anyway.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 10:13 am
Who's the nanny?

nanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The OH
armed with nothing but fully loaded plastic, I hit the streets for Super AMART.

my mission is to get the 'best price' on a low line entertainment unit shop list price of $399...

First stop Kessels Road store and met by a friendly 'Chink' with an allergy problem. "whats yer best price?" no slock flor 2 vicks, replied nice friendly assistant, "mate you need Vicks not weeks to get that asian flu under control."

"You can have for $380". Not bad, but need to collect one today, next store.....

the one just off Pacific Mwy[springwood, rochedale rd] and their assistant was English, yehaa, woohoo, the Great British discount, methinks, "whats your best price me ol'mucker?'

"You can have a $9 discount," he replied. WTF the Chink at your other store, gave me $19 off, your takin the pish!" You mean tight arsed fkn POM!!!!!

Next, got to the Capalaba store, and a nice friendly, true blue, ridgy didge Aussie gives a $25 discount and the card was promptly swiped at $375. No worries.

So there you go, a fkn Polak Pom going about his business that could have easily been shafted by another fkn Pom....whats the world coming too when one of your own are beaten by Kung Foo and Didgeryfkndoo

God help us in the Olympics. From a fkn pish poor Polak tall Poppy syndrome Pom?'

Old Apr 26th 2008, 11:28 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stevenglish

Get called an effing pom all the time at work, never bothered me cos they never got bothered by the reply. Don't think there's any offence meant, not in my case anyway.
They're not really sure about the origin but the Pomegranite theory seems to be the one with the most legs mainly because Pom came into use many years after the convict thing was over.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Racism - Australia

I have been called a POM on numerous occasions and it does not bother me one bit, my usual stock reply is to elaborate the POM bit,

ie You POM, becomes You facking POM, becomes You facking whinging POM, becomes You facking whinging POMMIE bastard...........and so on.

Only once have I ever had an Aussie who was truly hateful to the POMs (and me) and it nearly became very nasty until..........the Aussies stepped in and told him to fack off in no uncertain terms.

Strange old world.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 2:02 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish

I find this one hard to comprehend i must admit.

I mean i always thought it was prisoner of mother england, and so therefore, surely im not the pome, but the many descendants of aussies here in Oz, surely should be called Pomes?

Would like clarity on this plz.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 2:07 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
I find this one hard to comprehend i must admit.

I mean i always thought it was prisoner of mother england, and so therefore, surely im not the pome, but the many descendants of aussies here in Oz, surely should be called Pomes?

Would like clarity on this plz.
So would I mate, I'm a confused fackin pom at the moment
Old Apr 27th 2008, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
They're not really sure about the origin but the Pomegranite theory seems to be the one with the most legs mainly because Pom came into use many years after the convict thing was over.
Yeah the Pomegranate thing was what I heard. The Prisoner thing is more of a populist version.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Yeah the Pomegranate thing was what I heard. The Prisoner thing is more of a populist version.
Apparently pomegranate rhymes with immigrant so, as with rhyming slang, immigrants become poms so yes we are poms unless you consider yourself an expat which to my mind means you're not planning on staying Pom is not racist, a f***ing pom said with an aggressive look, is.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:36 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I've never understood why certain Poms complain about racism towards themselves, but feel that it is perfectly acceptable to call oriental people "Chinks".

I cringe every time I hear it over here. It's totally unacceptable Down Under, but in the UK nobody seems to care.

Why? What makes 'chinks/chinky' so different from pom, wog, paki etc.?
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
That's what I will never understand. You can say pom, kiwi, wog but you can't say paki, chink, abbo. As far as I'm concerned the word itself is not racist whatever anyone else says, it's all down to what words precedes it and what tone of voice is used when saying it.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I think that there are less Asians in the UK so there is a more of a distance between the 2 cultures and the culture you don't know is one you can safely laugh at or distance yourself from, or use a familiar term.

We went to a, by the looks of it, popular ''chinky'' in Greenwich, SE London, and all of a sudden it was like being back in parts of Melbourne. The service was crap but they did get it together eventually.

Likewise, I think an Australian could say Paki in a way that Brits can not get away with.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:12 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Originally Posted by moneypen20
That's what I will never understand. You can say pom, kiwi, wog but you can't say paki, chink, abbo. As far as I'm concerned the word itself is not racist whatever anyone else says, it's all down to what words precedes it and what tone of voice is used when saying it.
Totally agree.

At work im the Pommy Bastard.

Does not bother me one IOTA

However, if you do wanna give as good as ya get... call a qld'er a bloody mexican !! n wink

Shuts up em straight away

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.