puppies

Old Jan 16th 2009, 10:21 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: puppies

also designer dog, hybrid etc in aus - speak means

pay me heaps of money for a cross breed I grew in my garage that I have no genetic control of, that is still likely to moult but you will think you have a pedigree.

Vivienne
Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:39 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

We wouldnt dream of buying any pet from a pet shop cos of the puppy mill thing, we have given some serious thought to what we want and the reasons why we want a puppy (3 months old or less) and not just any old dog. I have been made to feel that I was being picky by a couple of animal charities that I wouldve expected better from, just because we have been specific about its age, size and sex.
maybe I'm missing something, but I think that there a lot of people selling at a premium dogs that are supposedly specific breeds of dog i.e. shitzu x maltese but in my world if the dog is x'd with another breed then its a mutt and nothing more- I think the only advantage of knowing what the mix is, is that you may have a rough idea of what to expect when it grows up- this isnt always the case though.
have tried the pet rescue website with all related sites and had no luck and visited a number of local vets and the ranger but there dont seem to be any around at all (was offered a doberman x ridgeback-which I politely refused) so I guess its a waiting game
Old Jan 18th 2009, 6:26 am

I chose a puppy and I rescue/foster regularly. There are lots of politics, like everything, in dog rescue. Thats why we do the non judgemental service thing - people give up their dogs for all sorts of reasons and shouldnt be made to feel bad and vice versa in choosing a dog.

some rescuers dont like pure bred, some dont like particular set ups etc - its all very hard to follow.

the important thing is to love the dog you get.

Where do you live, I can keep an eye out too - I get calls all the time.

Teh designer crosses - its a long story and you really cant tell what you are getting and most people don't stick to the 'rule' of what true hybrid is all about. Labradoodle is quite well developed as a breed in that its a bit further along that the cavoodle etc

Also I would say maybe put your range up to maybe 14 - 16 weeks as some don't split them from their mums until 12, then noone takes them etc - they get to 15 weeks and are often very much puppies.

The next dog I would like is a great dane - because I LOVE them
Vivienne
Old Jan 18th 2009, 6:35 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by viviennef

Teh designer crosses - its a long story and you really cant tell what you are getting and most people don't stick to the 'rule' of what true hybrid is all about. Labradoodle is quite well developed as a breed in that its a bit further along that the cavoodle etc
Rather than a Labradoodle or Cavoodle why not buy a Magna Doodle and just draw the dog you want?.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 7:24 am
Sharon

irishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud of

What would happen if no one bought the puppies from the pet shop do u think that would stop them breeding them don`t think so i went to the rspca and to be honest did`nt think they were that helpful.So all r dogs r from pet shops. can`t wait 4 the replies on this

Last edited by irishfamily; Jan 18th 2009 at 7:30 am.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 7:57 am

Hi

Actually pet shops are very much part of the problem. Without a market, there is no point in breeding them. As a home seller you would expect to make $200 - $300 on a pup if you were really brazen. In a pet shop they go for $600 - 1000 for a desirable cross. Because of the steady stream of visitors the pet shops can;t keep up and pay inflated prices, and repeatedly buy pups from the breeders that spring up to service them.

Reputable breeders will never sell to a pet shop. It has been illegal in many countries for years although I did notice some animals creeping back in the UK. After they stopped it in the 70's the number of backyard breeders dropped drastically

http://www.saynotoanimalsinpetshops.com/

The RSPCA are not always helpful but then in some areas they are terrific (fairfield, brisbane for instance). they have a mammoth task as a registered agency with some government funding and end up a dumping ground. I don't really want to get into a discussion about the rights and wrongs of the rspca though.

There are a whole host of other problems associated with pet shops and responsible dog ownership, impulse buying, lack of screening, unsuitable breed sellings etc.

I dont think that that means everyone who buys there is the devil - of course the consumer just goes and wants a dog and doesnt always know the full politics of what they are getting into or doesnt really care enough - they just want to buy a puppy, why is that so hard? People who do know and care though do have a responsibility to the pets we care for to try to let people know and to help rid Australia of this very very old fashioned supply chain.

If you had had to go and pick up pets from a puppy farm (the breeding pairs) and care for them I can promise you, if you liked pets at all, you would never ever even be thinking about it. My kids love to look at the puppies in the window and I sell product to pet shops (many owners who are lovely and also dont really involve in the politics and are trying to do the best by the pets). I cant even look at the dogs and cats, I feel physically sick.

Vivienne