Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Post flood insect explosion.

Post flood insect explosion.

Old Feb 28th 2013, 10:01 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Post flood insect explosion.

Since the floods a month ago there's been a massive increase in mosquitoes, sandflies & small moth like bugs up at our place. We're in the middle of another flood atm so no respite any time soon
Our house is fully screened yet these little critters are in abundance inside. I've been bitten to pieces by mozzies & sandflies. No idea how the buggers are getting in, I've checked the screens for damage & checked the bathroom extractor fan mesh, all good.
So with the perishers still getting in & my arse, legs & back looking like teenage fat kid with acne I've resorted to fly killer spray. Deb bought an automatic 'Raid' one that sprays the room every so often. Bloody useless the insects land on it & there's no dead ones on the floor. Next we've tried low allergenic, odourless, fast kill 'Pea Beu' also useless. I may well throw the firkin can at them for all the good the contents do!
Now I've got 'Mortein Naturgard' not much improvement.
Whatever happened to to that kill em all stuff that left hoards of dead things all over the floor?
Old Feb 28th 2013, 10:08 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post flood insect explosion.

Originally Posted by cresta57
Since the floods a month ago there's been a massive increase in mosquitoes, sandflies & small moth like bugs up at our place. We're in the middle of another flood atm so no respite any time soon
Our house is fully screened yet these little critters are in abundance inside. I've been bitten to pieces by mozzies & sandflies. No idea how the buggers are getting in, I've checked the screens for damage & checked the bathroom extractor fan mesh, all good.
So with the perishers still getting in & my arse, legs & back looking like teenage fat kid with acne I've resorted to fly killer spray. Deb bought an automatic 'Raid' one that sprays the room every so often. Bloody useless the insects land on it & there's no dead ones on the floor. Next we've tried low allergenic, odourless, fast kill 'Pea Beu' also useless. I may well throw the firkin can at them for all the good the contents do!
Now I've got 'Mortein Naturgard' not much improvement.
Whatever happened to to that kill em all stuff that left hoards of dead things all over the floor?

I've used this http://www.mortein.com.au/product_pr..._sur_spray.php around our house. Granted we haven't been affected by floods, but so far so good. It's really easy to use and gets into all the nooks and crannys. You can also create a barrier around the house by spraying away from it, like an invisible moat
Old Feb 28th 2013, 10:21 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
I've used this http://www.mortein.com.au/product_pr..._sur_spray.php around our house. Granted we haven't been affected by floods, but so far so good. It's really easy to use and gets into all the nooks and crannys. You can also create a barrier around the house by spraying away from it, like an invisible moat
I use that stuff each year on the house stumps it stops most spiders & ants for up to a year. These are flying critters. I suppose the small gaps around the fly screens might be worth a spray as well.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 10:38 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I use that stuff each year on the house stumps it stops most spiders & ants for up to a year. These are flying critters. I suppose the small gaps around the fly screens might be worth a spray as well.
I spray all around the doors and windows and the door stops too . basically, if I see a hole, it gets sprayed am thinking of spraying around the pergola too. I have seen dead critters outside the house so figure it's doing something
Old Feb 28th 2013, 10:43 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
I spray all around the doors and windows and the door stops too . basically, if I see a hole, it gets sprayed am thinking of spraying around the pergola too. I have seen dead critters outside the house so figure it's doing something
So you move to OZ and emmediately start killing the inhabitants,how very english of you
Old Feb 28th 2013, 10:56 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
So you move to OZ and emmediately start killing the inhabitants,how very english of you
If you think you are going to make people feel guilty for killing off mozzies, you've got another think coming.

Personally I'm waiting for them to produce bogan-strength spray, I can see a ready market.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 11:17 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
If you think you are going to make people feel guilty for killing off mozzies, you've got another think coming.

Personally I'm waiting for them to produce bogan-strength spray, I can see a ready market.
Be careful what you wish for
Old Feb 28th 2013, 11:42 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful what you wish for
Old Feb 28th 2013, 12:16 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

The bugs here are a different proposition to the Irish, they are way more intelligent. It's not just a case of cutting off their potato supply ...
Old Feb 28th 2013, 12:22 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

I have unkillable fruit flies here....weird as!
Kind of glad to read this , thought it was just me
Old Feb 28th 2013, 12:30 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan4kids
I have unkillable fruit flies here....weird as!
Kind of glad to read this , thought it was just me
Ditto. The miniature flies are all over the house here too. One even flew up my nose the other day. To my knowledge it didn't come out.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 1:14 pm
FREE TIBET

Originally Posted by DeadVim
The bugs here are a different proposition to the Irish, they are way more intelligent. It's not just a case of cutting off their potato supply ...
That's actually funny
Old Feb 28th 2013, 1:19 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

All the wet weather seems to have "awakened" something similar to cicadas around here. At nighttime they make an awful highpitched noise
Old Feb 28th 2013, 3:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
Ditto. The miniature flies are all over the house here too. One even flew up my nose the other day. To my knowledge it didn't come out.
They are microwave proof, I know that! 6 minutes on high (unintentionally) and the buggers are still alive!
Old Feb 28th 2013, 7:55 pm

Well so far the Mortein has the best success rate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.