Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Please make sure you've posted your UK mail

Wikiposts

Please make sure you've posted your UK mail

Old Dec 11th 2009, 10:08 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please make sure you've posted your UK mail

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Sorted the rellies out, online florist with their own cards. A few friends need cards so I'll moonpig I think.

Thanks for the info Oz Hope you're not out long.
One of the rellies in the UK sends us Moonpig cards - if they want to send cards (and kill trees) I'd rather they sent their own but they're much nicer than e-cards. They come by post...all the way from the Moonpig office 10m from our house. Must remember to tell the rellies that.

Chuffing unions. Somebody on here told me they're very strong in Oz and I've recently had reason to confirm that for myself. I'm the non-union Staff Rep at work and they drive me mental, the childish games they play just to show how powerful they are. I have a strong sense of right and wrong, and put myself out - and stress myself out - for my constituents, but FFS, let's park the egos and the patronising manner and concentrate on what's important. Grrrr.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
One of the rellies in the UK sends us Moonpig cards - if they want to send cards (and kill trees) I'd rather they sent their own but they're much nicer than e-cards. They come by post...all the way from the Moonpig office 10m from our house. Must remember to tell the rellies that.

Chuffing unions. Somebody on here told me they're very strong in Oz and I've recently had reason to confirm that for myself. I'm the non-union Staff Rep at work and they drive me mental, the childish games they play just to show how powerful they are. I have a strong sense of right and wrong, and put myself out - and stress myself out - for my constituents, but FFS, let's park the egos and the patronising manner and concentrate on what's important. Grrrr.
Bear in mind always, that these Aussie unions brought you and every other fulltime employee 17.5 pct leave loading and superannuation at 9pct employer contribution.

There is no way anyone in Aus would have got this without them.

Just a quick note as to why I joined the Apost union.

I was a new parcel driver with Apost employed as the sole Parcel driver at Glenroy here in Melbourne. My wife was due to have our fourth child at home. All our kids were born at home. My then boss told me I had to give him notice 3 months in advance of when I wanted my paternity leave. If I didnt he would code me for every day I had off without permission (3 codes and your sacked... so that would mean I could only take 2 days off) This was despite Apost having awards that gave us the right to paternity leave. Not only that... when I did overtime on a Monday the Boss at Glenroy would give me the corresponding time off in lieu on the Tuesday.... not even at time and 1/2.... The posties told me to join the Union, which I did. One visit from the local travelling drivers shop steward and everything was sorted my way.... Overtime paid... as per Aus posts own rules and a weeks paternity leave granted the exact day my wife had our youngest.

So If a supposed reputable organisation can screw you over with one rogue boss, imagine what smaller independent places can do.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 11:00 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I can see a reason for them, although I personally find the leave-loading bizarre, and my place has a ridiculous amount of benefits, types of leave entitlements etc.

Just the "mine's bigger than yours" mentality and the email ping pong, delay tactics, point-scoring, etc., that get to me. I'm from Yorkshire, I believe in straight talk.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 10:55 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

Les Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to behold

Most odd that there is nothing in the newspapers about this, nor in the first four pages of a google search with "australia post industrial dispute" as the search term.

There have been disputes in the past and a bit of argy bargy in the run up to Christmas, but I have heard absolutely nothing this year.

As for Christmas cards, almost all of ours are E-cards these days, with only the computerless oldies getting hard copy cards.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 11:03 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Les Mighalls
As for Christmas cards, almost all of ours are E-cards these days, with only the computerless oldies getting hard copy cards.
I'd hate that. I'd be really ticked off if I got an ecard, the sender would be off my list (not that I have one)
Old Dec 11th 2009, 11:25 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

Les Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to behold

Really?

Christmas these days (lamentably) is no longer religious for most people, merely cultural.

Christmas cards used to be huge in the 50s, 60s and even 70s but from what I've seen in Australia, at least, they have been falling by the wayside over the last 30 years or so.

In many ways all they really say is we have thought of you and if that is the case, the medium of the message is irrelevant.

Too often, I suspect, Christmas cards are merely sent to someone who sent one to you the year before.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 11:28 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Really?

Christmas these days (lamentably) is no longer religious for most people, merely cultural.

Christmas cards used to be huge in the 50s, 60s and even 70s but from what I've seen in Australia, at least, they have been falling by the wayside over the last 30 years or so.

In many ways all they really say is we have thought of you and if that is the case, the medium of the message is irrelevant.

Too often, I suspect, Christmas cards are merely sent to someone who sent one to you the year before.
No religious aspect for me and I only send to those people I'm in constant contact with. When we moved out I kind of deleted my 'once a year' list
Old Dec 12th 2009, 12:33 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I Have got viruses in the form of e cards in the past so I refuse to open e cards any more
Old Dec 12th 2009, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Most odd that there is nothing in the newspapers about this, nor in the first four pages of a google search with "australia post industrial dispute" as the search term.

There have been disputes in the past and a bit of argy bargy in the run up to Christmas, but I have heard absolutely nothing this year.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=977712
http://www.iww.org.au/node/1188

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...09/2766285.htm

http://www.cepuconnects.org/postal/a...-pay/index.cfm

And one from Queensland..

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...1209-kji8.html

There are OT bans in place right now right throughout Melbourne... mail is backing up at Dandenong. I was told that NSW was supposedly on strike on Friday, although I havent heard anything about that either.

We .... Victoria are definitely out this week. Posties one day... Transport another... Sorters another.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 12th 2009 at 8:17 am.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 8:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=977712
http://www.iww.org.au/node/1188

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...09/2766285.htm

http://www.cepuconnects.org/postal/a...-pay/index.cfm

And one from Queensland..

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...1209-kji8.html

There are OT bans in place right now right throughout Melbourne... mail is backing up at Dandenong. I was told that NSW was supposedly on strike on Friday, although I havent heard anything about that either.

We .... Victoria are definitely out this week. Posties one day... Transport another... Sorters another.
I came up with the Brisbane Times one when I was trawling the news sites for work overnight. Nothing else up here yet though as of about 3am......
Old Dec 12th 2009, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I came up with the Brisbane Times one when I was trawling the news sites for work overnight. Nothing else up here yet though as of about 3am......
Hopefully thats a good thing.

Apparently the last time there was a AusPost tnational strike was over 20 years ago. Maybe they dont believe it until they see it.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind always, that these Aussie unions brought you and every other fulltime employee 17.5 pct leave loading and superannuation at 9pct employer contribution.

There is no way anyone in Aus would have got this without them.

Just a quick note as to why I joined the Apost union.

I was a new parcel driver with Apost employed as the sole Parcel driver at Glenroy here in Melbourne. My wife was due to have our fourth child at home. All our kids were born at home. My then boss told me I had to give him notice 3 months in advance of when I wanted my paternity leave. If I didnt he would code me for every day I had off without permission (3 codes and your sacked... so that would mean I could only take 2 days off) This was despite Apost having awards that gave us the right to paternity leave. Not only that... when I did overtime on a Monday the Boss at Glenroy would give me the corresponding time off in lieu on the Tuesday.... not even at time and 1/2.... The posties told me to join the Union, which I did. One visit from the local travelling drivers shop steward and everything was sorted my way.... Overtime paid... as per Aus posts own rules and a weeks paternity leave granted the exact day my wife had our youngest.
So If a supposed reputable organisation can screw you over with one rogue boss, imagine what smaller independent places can do.
One of the main reasons unions exist. The word I love to use is FAIRNESS. No more, no less and if both sides played this card more often, then the world would be a better place.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday will see different sections of the Postal service in Victoria badly affected.
Attached Thumbnails Please make sure you've posted your UK mail-picture.jpg  
Old Dec 15th 2009, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just back from night shift 1.5 hours early. Can inform people that there is less than 5 pct of the mail in the System in Melbourne available for delivery.

Out of 90 trucks that were supposed to leave Dandenong last night, only 4 got through... hope no one was near them on the freeways as the only drivers available were Managers that hadnt driven for years.

8 people on picket lines got run over including 3 at Corio.

Night shift sorters go on strike tonight. Expecting a 80pct plus conformity rate in Melbourne at least.

I would say there will be even more hardline action next week.

Very sorry to say, that no express mail has been touched. This is the most severe action ever to hit Aussie post.

As from now, the Postal service is in total disarray.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 15th 2009 at 6:38 am.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 2:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Just back from night shift 1.5 hours early. Can inform people that there is less than 5 pct of the mail in the System in Melbourne available for delivery.

Out of 90 trucks that were supposed to leave Dandenong last night, only 4 got through... hope no one was near them on the freeways as the only drivers available were Managers that hadnt driven for years.

8 people on picket lines got run over including 3 at Corio.

Night shift sorters go on strike tonight. Expecting a 80pct plus conformity rate in Melbourne at least.

I would say there will be even more hardline action next week.

Very sorry to say, that no express mail has been touched. This is the most severe action ever to hit Aussie post.

As from now, the Postal service is in total disarray.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.