Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Please make sure you've posted your UK mail

Wikiposts

Please make sure you've posted your UK mail

Old Dec 8th 2009, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please make sure you've posted your UK mail

Just to let you know. The union officially advised Aus Post as per statutory requirement of 3 days notice. That Nationwide Union bans will take place as off Midnight Thursday/Friday.

All they need do is take 10 B double drivers off the Eastern Seaboard and thats the majority of the mail stuffed.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 9:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Just to let you know. The union officially advised Aus Post as per statutory requirement of 3 days notice. That Nationwide Union bans will take place as off Midnight Thursday/Friday.

All they need do is take 10 B double drivers off the Eastern Seaboard and thats the majority of the mail stuffed.

Are you willing to say how you expect things to go? I mean are we likely to be looking at no mail movement at all for weeks or even months? Or do you forsee a quick resolution? Not going to hold you to it or quote you etc, just wondered what your feeling is.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Are you willing to say how you expect things to go? I mean are we likely to be looking at no mail movement at all for weeks or even months? Or do you forsee a quick resolution? Not going to hold you to it or quote you etc, just wondered what your feeling is.
Not sure, cant ever recall a long mail strike in Aus before. So hopefully only 1 week of turmoil.

Although both sides are firmly entrenched on this one.

I think it will be more of disruption to mail rather than totally stopping it though.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 7:19 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorted the rellies out, online florist with their own cards. A few friends need cards so I'll moonpig I think.

Thanks for the info Oz Hope you're not out long.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 1:28 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure, cant ever recall a long mail strike in Aus before. So hopefully only 1 week of turmoil.

Although both sides are firmly entrenched on this one.

I think it will be more of disruption to mail rather than totally stopping it though.
Thanks for that. I'm used to disruption, so it looks like its service as usual in my bit of Brisbane
Old Dec 9th 2009, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Looks like NSW will be the first hit. No strike or action in Melbourne this weekend at least.... Neither Brisbane afaik.

Union is keeping it's cards close to the chest at present.

It does look like it could be lengthy though.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well it's begun. All union members nationwide are now imposing OT bans. We left today with at least 20pct of the mail left to sort. By the time 2.30 pm (normal postie finishing time) comes around this afternoon there will be probably 33pct of mail left as carry over. Also we are supposed to be working an extra shift tomorrow, which no union member will do.... which is about 80 to 90 pct of the workforce.

This will be a long protracted action IMO. I understand there was an Actual strike in NSW yesterday/today... not sure about that yet.. All states will have one day per week off striking.from this point on.

Mail in Melbourne and Sydney will be the worst affected...... I'd say Melbourne the worst of all.

Apologies for this. I reckon when it all gets sorted out jobs will be totally different... I can't see the union winning this... thats why it will be a very long drawn out affair.

Only hope of a quick resolution is for plenty of strike breakers to come in.... there is no way that will happen in Melbourne.

Perth and Brisbane will be the least affected... Adelaide will be inbetween.... Country services will be sporadic... I understand Townsville may well hold out as long as Melbourne. Sydney and Melbourne will be very hard core for quite a while.

My advice is send anything important via express post... they will certainly keep clearing that, as its a premium service and worth a lot of money to Aus Post. I'd be very surprised if any of that gets delayed.... that will be the only mail that gets dealt with on Strike days.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 12:14 pm
Home and Happy

Well it's begun. All union members nationwide are now imposing OT bans. We left today with at least 20pct of the mail left to sort. By the time 2.30 pm (normal postie finishing time) comes around this afternoon there will be probably 33pct of mail left as carry over. Also we are supposed to be working an extra shift tomorrow, which no union member will do.... which is about 80 to 90 pct of the workforce.

This will be a long protracted action IMO. I understand there was an Actual strike in NSW yesterday/today... not sure about that yet.. All states will have one day per week off striking.from this point on.

Mail in Melbourne and Sydney will be the worst affected...... I'd say Melbourne the worst of all.

Apologies for this. I reckon when it all gets sorted out jobs will be totally different... I can't see the union winning this... thats why it will be a very long drawn out affair.

Only hope of a quick resolution is for plenty of strike breakers to come in.... there is no way that will happen in Melbourne.

Perth and Brisbane will be the least affected... Adelaide will be inbetween.... Country services will be sporadic... I understand Townsville may well hold out as long as Melbourne. Sydney and Melbourne will be very hard core for quite a while.

My advice is send anything important via express post... they will certainly keep clearing that, as its a premium service and worth a lot of money to Aus Post. I'd be very surprised if any of that gets delayed.... that will be the only mail that gets dealt with on Strike days.
Thanks for keeping us updated
Old Dec 10th 2009, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

home alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nice

Everyone including senior management at board level is convinced there will be a strike. Just when and where it happens. The could be a picket line in place as soon as Sunday shift starts tomorrow.

Most Full timers will be facing a 15 pct plus 5 hours per week pay cut.... circa 10,000 Aud + per year if Apost get their way. So I dont think the members will be treating this lightly. With non penalty rated parttimers making up for the shortage of labour.... where they will get them from god knows, as we are still very short staffed in Melbourne, even with the 5 pct mail volume reduction.....

Thats the crux of the matter, and how its implemented.... via change overnight or via attrition. Which is where the main fight to keep the arbitration system going v the very tardy Judicial System comes in.
They are treating the postal service here in the UK, the same, (as above), plus messing with their pensions, and of course, are making it look like the staff are 'the bad people' as companies do! Ah! well another excuse to us the word recession, to stop pay rises etc; and stuff their own pockets Regards Lin
Old Dec 10th 2009, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by home alone
They are treating the postal service here in the UK, the same, (as above), plus messing with their pensions, and of course, are making it look like the staff are 'the bad people' as companies do! Ah! well another excuse to us the word recession, to stop pay rises etc; and stuff their own pockets Regards Lin
This will be actual pay cuts, of a minimum of 15pct. If they also cut hours as is mooted then the Superannuation will be badly affected as well.

On strike day/s, I will be actively looking for another job.... Hopefully within the Hospital system.

The timing is definitely down to Aus Post, as the Union put in for this action back in September.... Aus Post complained to Fair Work Australia, the t's got crossed the i's dotted and the reapplication went back in at the start of November. Thats why I'm slightly worried... feels like a bit of a railroad to me.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 7:52 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Please make sure you've posted your UK mail

This is huge. In 36 years, I've never once experienced an Australian postal strike. Obviously in the UK I expected it, and sure enough I wasn't disappointed. But Australia? Something must be very wrong somewhere.

My only consolation is that it won't really affect me.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 7:58 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Please make sure you've posted your UK mail

Originally Posted by home alone
They're messing with the pensions because they can't afford to pay them. That's what Royal Mail gets for ignoring the superannuation revolution. Outdated management; outdated practices.

This will be actual pay cuts, of a minimum of 15pct. If they also cut hours as is mooted then the Superannuation will be badly affected as well.

On strike day/s, I will be actively looking for another job.... Hopefully within the Hospital system.

The timing is definitely down to Aus Post, as the Union put in for this action back in September.... Aus Post complained to Fair Work Australia, the t's got crossed the i's dotted and the reapplication went back in at the start of November. Thats why I'm slightly worried... feels like a bit of a railroad to me.
15% is utterly draconian and if they're going that far I would expect reductions in hours as well. Good luck finding a new job; it's just as well unemployment's still low.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 9:41 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
This is huge. In 36 years, I've never once experienced an Australian postal strike. Obviously in the UK I expected it, and sure enough I wasn't disappointed. But Australia? Something must be very wrong somewhere.

My only consolation is that it won't really affect me.
I don't think you're allowed to make comments like that anymore.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 1:00 am
Fighting my corner

Cool Re: Please make sure you've posted your UK mail

Sorry, I didn't realise.

Old Dec 11th 2009, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
They're messing with the pensions because they can't afford to pay them. That's what Royal Mail gets for ignoring the superannuation revolution. Outdated management; outdated practices.

15% is utterly draconian and if they're going that far I would expect reductions in hours as well. Good luck finding a new job; it's just as well unemployment's still low.

Thing is it's in the Award, all they have to do is move the Posties half an hour forward and they lose 15 pct.... With Night Shift it's one Hour forward and we lose 1 week holiday and 15 pct. They verbally say they will not do this to existing employee's but wont put it in writing.

This combined with all new starters coming in as Parttimers and with the lesser penalties is what has caused this dispute.

Put the verbal claims in writing and the dispute will end. It's been in negotiation for 2.5 years, and why EBA7 which was supposed to be signed off back then is still not signed off. Once it's signed off they have carte blanche to implement the changes at will.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 11th 2009 at 8:00 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.