Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Plans, they dont always go to plan :)

Plans, they dont always go to plan :)

Old Jan 12th 2012, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plans, they dont always go to plan :)

Originally Posted by chris955
Those people that actually know us will know that we plan on moving back to the UK sometime in the first half of this year, originally it was going to be just before Christmas but things being the way they are everything always takes twice or 3 times as long as it was going to originally but everything is still more or less on track.
The dog has had his rabies shot and passed the antibodies test, a couple of dogs done at the same time failed so had to go through it again.
The house is painted inside and out which is amazing as I hate painting.
All our animals have been sold which was probably the hardest thing I have ever done but needs must.
Just about everything that isnt nailed down is packed and ready to go, the shippers have been lined up and now we just wait for the house to sell, it goes on the market finally early next week.
I have recreated the dimensions of a 20 foot shipping container in one half of our garage so we know roughly what we are able to take and what will need to be left behind, luckily at this stage it looks like just a few pieces of tired old furniture will need to be sacrificed.
There are lots of things we will miss about Australia as there are many things we love but I suppose it has changed here in ways that affect us directly in a negative manner. That's not to say it wouldnt and doesn't suit others of course.
I have included a shot of our worldly goods packed away ready for the off, bloody awful camera phone shot I'm afraid but you get the idea.
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/a...acon/stuff.jpg
All very good, but how can we be sure that that's not an old photo of all your stuff upon arrival in Australia last time, and that indeed, you have no intention of returning to the UK any time soon?

I am of course pulling your plonker . . . Best of luck to you and yours with the move.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:14 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Moving anywhere is a bleeding nightmare.. good luck with it all!
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:30 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I'm never moving continents again. http://www.smh.com.au/environment/co...110-1psb0.html
Old Jan 12th 2012, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with it! I am so glad that I skipped that part of moving back - the DH did it all! Mind you he has only shipped 3 boxes - like you he was very organized but the packers were even more efficient than he was. I cant think of anything left in our Aus house that I cant live without - I would be sad to lose all my stash (stitching stuff!!!!) but not devastated.

You must be measuring your departure time in weeks now! that the house sells quickly!
Old Jan 12th 2012, 5:21 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

It was the most cunning of cunning plans and you saw straight through it.....damn you

Originally Posted by spartacus
All very good, but how can we be sure that that's not an old photo of all your stuff upon arrival in Australia last time, and that indeed, you have no intention of returning to the UK any time soon?

I am of course pulling your plonker . . . Best of luck to you and yours with the move.

Last edited by chris955; Jan 12th 2012 at 5:23 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 5:24 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, it has been just over a year in the making but it's been worth it. The ONLY possible fly in the ointment is totally out of our control, selling the house

Originally Posted by quoll
Good luck with it! I am so glad that I skipped that part of moving back - the DH did it all! Mind you he has only shipped 3 boxes - like you he was very organized but the packers were even more efficient than he was. I cant think of anything left in our Aus house that I cant live without - I would be sad to lose all my stash (stitching stuff!!!!) but not devastated.

You must be measuring your departure time in weeks now! that the house sells quickly!
Old Jan 12th 2012, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

westwind is a jewel in the roughwestwind is a jewel in the roughwestwind is a jewel in the roughwestwind is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by chris955
Thanks, it has been just over a year in the making but it's been worth it. The ONLY possible fly in the ointment is totally out of our control, selling the house
We wish you a very happy life back in England. We are in the teetering stage at the moment but the exchange rate is certainly helping our decision. My OH and myself summed up what we like - beautiful countryside, old pubs with beer gardens, history - especially NT places, community feeling, same sense of humour and a feeling of belonging. So what are we doing here?? The ONLY thing that worries me a bit is the weather. I don't like hot weathe rand we were back in England last year for 8 weeks and only had 1 week of good weather. BUT there was so much to see and do so maybe it's a good trade off. We are retired with a goodish amount of money so don't need to look for jobs thank goodness. We are in our 60's and have ping pommed three times before - this would have to be the very last and final decision. Not easy! I'm not unhappy here but just feel there is more awaiting us 'back home'. Hope u you go well Chris - all the best to you and yours.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 6:11 pm
Banned

Thanks very much, to be honest the weather is the last thing on our minds and we have realized that in the overall scheme of things the weather is so unimportant it just doesn't register. All the best with your decision, you know deep down what that decision is don't you ?

Originally Posted by westwind
We wish you a very happy life back in England. We are in the teetering stage at the moment but the exchange rate is certainly helping our decision. My OH and myself summed up what we like - beautiful countryside, old pubs with beer gardens, history - especially NT places, community feeling, same sense of humour and a feeling of belonging. So what are we doing here?? The ONLY thing that worries me a bit is the weather. I don't like hot weathe rand we were back in England last year for 8 weeks and only had 1 week of good weather. BUT there was so much to see and do so maybe it's a good trade off. We are retired with a goodish amount of money so don't need to look for jobs thank goodness. We are in our 60's and have ping pommed three times before - this would have to be the very last and final decision. Not easy! I'm not unhappy here but just feel there is more awaiting us 'back home'. Hope u you go well Chris - all the best to you and yours.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Best of luck for the next few months.

I'm "lucky", I guess. By this time next week I'll have heard back from my last remaining job applications and, if no joy, will be packing up my 35kgs of stuff and booking the next one-way flight back. Only complication will be finding an airline which will take a 30kg case without punitive excess baggage charges.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 6:33 pm
Banned

Thanks very much and all the best for you whichever way it goes.

Originally Posted by DC10

I'm "lucky", I guess. By this time next week I'll have heard back from my last remaining job applications and, if no joy, will be packing up my 35kgs of stuff and booking the next one-way flight back. Only complication will be finding an airline which will take a 30kg case without punitive excess baggage charges.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 6:33 pm
Banned

Yes it is and thanks.

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Moving anywhere is a bleeding nightmare.. good luck with it all!
Old Jan 12th 2012, 6:51 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Emirates standard allowance is 30kg.

Or fly from Sydney - BA will give you 46kg if you pay an extra 34 quid.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bcworld
Emirates standard allowance is 30kg.

Or fly from Sydney - BA will give you 46kg if you pay an extra 34 quid.
Thanks - very helpful to know that about BA. Last time I heard about them they were whacking on 1% of the first class fare per excess kg.

Emriates are about $1300 at the moment which is on the high side. Was tempted by Etihad ($1100) but noticed they only allow 23kgs.

Thinking about taking Jetstar or Air Asia to Malaysia or Thailand for a few nights (leave the beastly bags at left luggage for a few quid) and then Air Asia or Saudi from there.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 7:00 pm
Banned

We are looking into something like that, we want to take the kids to Singapore for a few days and it might work out economical to do it that way.

Thinking about taking Jetstar or Air Asia to Malaysia or Thailand for a few nights (leave the beastly bags at left luggage for a few quid) and then Air Asia or Saudi from there.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 7:03 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck & Bon Voyage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.