Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Places to stay - Gold Coast

Places to stay - Gold Coast

Old Jan 27th 2014, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Places to stay - Gold Coast

FYI: Gold Coast Light Rail opens mid 2014:

Old Jan 27th 2014, 8:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
We are just at the research stage at the moment as decisions depend on me getting a new (permanent) job and other stuff as well. But we are hoping to visit the area to do the theme parks at some point. For the kids of course We are hoping to do a 5-7 day stay.

There seems to be some good deals for Seaworld including VIP passes etc.

But does anyone have any particular recommendations for places to stay? We would probably want to stay fairly close to the theme parks as may not want to hire a car (but this will likely change ) are quite happy to do basic, as long is it is clean and functional

Thanks in advance
Be fantastic to see you all again I'm also planning Adelaide at some point but I think its 2-3 years yet.
Def get a car, you don't need to be constrained by Qld transport, even if you then find you can do some trips without needing the car.

Mt Tamborine and that area is fab, the Sunshine Coast is also worth doing and would be eaisr from a Gold Coast base if you have your own transpoty. Maleny and Montville for the views, market stall type shopping, good pubs for lunch, etc, down to the coast for the kids to get their beach fix
Old Jan 27th 2014, 12:10 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
If we manage to get a babysitter think that would be a definite maybe
We have a long standing aim to do the wineries/distillery tour on the mountain and stay there (Witches Falls) one weekend but circumstances conspire against for various reasons. One day, one day.

Originally Posted by fish.01
FYI: Gold Coast Light Rail opens mid 2014:

http://www.marubeni.com/dbps_data/_m...en/110610c.jpg
Looking very impressive, should be a good addition.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
We have a long standing aim to do the wineries/distillery tour on the mountain and stay there (Witches Falls) one weekend but circumstances conspire against for various reasons. One day, one day.

Looking very impressive, should be a good addition.
Will you set aside a different weekend for the breweries?
Old Jan 28th 2014, 9:36 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Be fantastic to see you all again I'm also planning Adelaide at some point but I think its 2-3 years yet.
Def get a car, you don't need to be constrained by Qld transport, even if you then find you can do some trips without needing the car.

Mt Tamborine and that area is fab, the Sunshine Coast is also worth doing and would be eaisr from a Gold Coast base if you have your own transpoty. Maleny and Montville for the views, market stall type shopping, good pubs for lunch, etc, down to the coast for the kids to get their beach fix
Will definitely catch up with you. Will likely go for car hire too. Would love to organise it to be at the same time as the BE Xmas in July, but not sure it's feasible this year and would depend when it is this year too.

You'll definitely have somewhere to stay here L would love to dress up your room to be fit for a witch I'll just have to get some research in on the best wineries/breweries to visit
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:07 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I can give you two double rooms providing you come the week of the 8-15th Feb otherwise it's a double and a single or the double pullout in the lounge. I could also let you have a car that week as well.
I'm moving in.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 1:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Thousands of places to stay on the Coast, find a decent deal online and hire a car. There are always heaps of specials. myfun.com.au is a good place to go to get all your theme park tickets - they're good value in the off peak, but if you go in peak season they're a waste because there are so many people at the parks, the length of time lining up means you only get to go on a couple of things (except the water parks, they're always pretty good value). Have fun.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 2:09 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
Will you set aside a different weekend for the breweries?
I think I may combine them

The MT stuff is OK but darned expensive.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 6:17 am
Just Joined

Birdy432 is an unknown quantity at this point

Currumbin would be an amazing place to stay, I have to agree there.
Make sure you get in early to feed the lorikeets. I would hire the car and drive the 90 mins up to Beerwah and visit Australia Zoo, there are some lovely wee towns to pop into up there too. We love Dreamworld as its so close to home and to be honest is miles better than Movieworld. Seaworld is good though. i have previously stayed in hotels on the broadwater and personally prefer it to the drunkards that ruin surfers. The Broadwater parklands are just amazing now. i don't know the ages of your family but young or old with the new addition of the inflatables its great fun. Driving can be a real eye opener here there seems to be driving style from some as bad as some third world countries, Its normal if you can see the colour of someones eyes in your rear view mirror.
Hope you have a great time