Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I've been wondering........

I've been wondering........

Old Feb 2nd 2014, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute
Default I've been wondering........

What do you guys eat in Australia? (please don't be a smart arse and say food )

Here in the cold, damp UK, for me it's all about hearty warm wholesome meals, cottage pie, Sunday roast, homemade soups etc...

So what about you lot in the heat? Is it mainly cold meals you have? What do you have?

Give me some inspiration please? It won't be easy, I hate sea food what the hell am I going to live on?
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 6:53 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've been wondering........

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
What do you guys eat in Australia? (please don't be a smart arse and say food )

Here in the cold, damp UK, for me it's all about hearty warm wholesome meals, cottage pie, Sunday roast, homemade soups etc...

So what about you lot in the heat? Is it mainly cold meals you have? What do you have?

Give me some inspiration please? It won't be easy, I hate sea food what the hell am I going to live on?
You can eat whatever you want (you're really making this difficult )

We have a Sunday roast every week (we did in SE Queensland too) and we always have a hot meal as our main meal.

Stews, casseroles, soups, pasta, meat and potatoes/veg, etc etc - you can still have them here you know. Even if it's hot outside.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Just the same as you eat in UK
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Just the same as you eat in UK
Yep ..... Pretty much the same.... I do eat a little more lamb for some reason
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Guys I'm perplexed! What do you mean I can eat the same stuff?........ Nooooooooooo!!

Are you saying that all the time and money that I've spent on acquiring a visa to Australia has been for nothing?

I only did it because I thought it would get me out of slaving on the stove.
I thought I would just be able to buy 3 bags of pre-washed salad and lob them at the kids and husband saying 'eat up!'

Well you've well and truly spoilt my evening!

Thanks a lot!!

Last edited by Molly Coddle; Feb 2nd 2014 at 8:06 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

On a more serious note I can't believe you all eat regular hot meals. That's crazy........having said that.... Nobody and I mean NOBODY! Will ever part me from my Sunday roast..........Till death do us part!
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

We eat more barbecued food than we did in the UK. I like that because it is a man's job, so I get to prepare salads and he does all the cooking.

We have more fresh fruit in season like mangoes and lots of watermelon. Pumpkin, sweet potato and squashes now feature on many of our menus too. We also eat more asian dishes- sushi and stir fries which are quick.

However we too have hot meals in the evening, and in the winter we go for stews, soups, spaghetti/pasta dishes. My OH cooks a roast or a meal once a week, so I don't have to spend every night cooking.

We also eat lots more seafood- sorry if that last one doesn't help you much.

Last edited by carolinephillips; Feb 2nd 2014 at 7:50 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
We eat more barbecued food than we did in the UK. I like that because it is a man's job, so I get to prepare salads and he does all the cooking.
Now I like the sound of that, but I have a niggling feeling that I will be eating burnt sausages for a very long time. well, until he gets used to using a barbie...

We have more fresh fruit in season like mangoes and lots of watermelon. We also eat more asian dishes- sushi and stir fries which are quick.
Sounds good, I'm also looking forward to having the chance to be able to grow lemons, etc..

However we too have hot meals in the evening, and in the winter we go for stews, soups, spaghetti/pasta dishes. My OH cooks a roast or a meal once a week, so I don't have to spend every night cooking.

When I was in Australia I struggled to eat hot meals, I just didn't fancy them at all, I suppose when you live there you become accustomed to the heat and eating hot food isn't an issue.

We also eat lots more seafood- sorry if that last one doesn't help you much.

No, I'm not a fan of seafood.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

whatsnext is an unknown quantity at this point

Many BBQ's with lean beef or roo, along with veggies (green asparagus our favourite). We also feel in love with sweet potatoes and mashed it quite often.
Then...the influence of the Asian cuisine had an impact on me ... so I started cooking Asian wok dishes on a regular basis. Also loved the occasional leg of lamb in the oven. Oh...isn't it great to have choices in life?
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 8:46 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Now I like the sound of that, but I have a niggling feeling that I will be eating burnt sausages for a very long time. well, until he gets used to using a barbie...

Sounds good, I'm also looking forward to having the chance to be able to grow lemons, etc..
A BBQ isn't just for snags in Oz, entire meals can be cooked (by men) willingly, and usually in competition with their male friends (the word marinade will enter his vocabulary). In the meantime, get him up to speed on 'Beer Can Chicken' ( http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/beer_can_chicken/ ). He will appreciate that half the can of beer has to be drunk as part of the recipe...

Been getting limes from me tree, and have high hopes that the lemon might bear fruit as well.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I managed to grow lemons in the UK, but had to bring them inside in winter. It is nice to grow citrus outside- still in pots mainly as the ones we had in the ground died when we had all the rain- got collar rot. I grow lemons, navel oranges (now my seville has died), and kaffir limes and am hoping to get a kumquat.

My OH is now a dab hand at marinades, and takes great pride in producing a juicy tender steak, and barbecued aubergine (eggplant) for me, as I'm not a great meat eater.

I make my own burgers too.

Last edited by carolinephillips; Feb 2nd 2014 at 9:40 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 10:23 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

We've been back from the U.K for a month now & last night was the first roast meal with veggies we've had. We tend to have a lot of salad when it's hot. Still with the meat i.e pork chop with salad, roo steak or roast chicken with salad. When we do cook a roast it's usually on the BBQ and we roast the veggies as well. Beer Can chicken is awesome done in the BBQ.
I'm happy to nip down to the dock & buy a kilo of fresh prawns from the back of the trawler as a meal. Washed down with a cold beer or two.
Winter we still have stews & casseroles, as both of us work we tend to stick something in the slow cooker the night before or early in the morning then we have a hot meal to come home to.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 12:07 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

On a more serious note I can't believe you all eat regular hot meals. That's crazy........having said that.... Nobody and I mean NOBODY! Will ever part me from my Sunday roast..........Till death do us part!
Why wouldn't we eat hot meals?
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 12:30 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

We do lots of cooking as we've been renting a place with a fabulous kitchen and I'm now an expert on all types of cuisines that aren't done so well here. My boyfriend and I have a running duel on who can produce the most elaborate dish - I'm winning with a coq au vin from the French cook book that took 3 days to prepare.

I'm not a fan of bbqs - flies, mossies and dried out food. That weird phenomenon that its a primordial male thing to turn over the meat.....

The main difference if I think about food here is that the swedes are Lilliputian and the sprouts enormous.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there is any discernible difference in what we eat here versus what we ate there. Probably don't even do BBQs any more often either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.