British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Places to GO/SEE in Perth/WA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/places-go-see-perth-wa-496862/)

Amazulu Oct 1st 2008 5:07 am

Re: Places to GO/SEE in Perth/WA

We drove out to York for the first time on Monday. It's a pleasant little town about an hour east of Perth.

EvannTel Oct 1st 2008 9:47 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 5612514)
I went to Legoland in Surrey once, it was sh*t, I went there again in July this year, it was even more sh*t.

Went back to UK this year (our first of our annual sabbatical for the grandkids) and I must admit Legoland was the one thing that made me think think how awful UK was. Truely truely awful and an absolute rip off.

Anyway....

$8 this weekend to do the Valley of the Giants tree top walk at Walpole and it was one of the best value hour or so I've ever spent. They should charge double.
Also helicopter trip over Albany and the coast - again a little more than $8 but still worth every penny.

PS These are NOT day trips from Perth (but then nor are many others suggested on here!)

Bag End Bunch Oct 1st 2008 10:43 am

We did the treetop walk in Valley of the Giants too. I agree it was brilliant and well worth it. Kids ran on ahead while OH and I gripped the handrails and went slowly with me calling feebly to the children to be careful !!!:D

breezeboylan Oct 1st 2008 10:46 am

Originally Posted by kez81 (Post 6834663)
Were going to Jurien bay on Friday never been before looking forward to it.

Went in February. A must do down there is swimming with the sea lions. It's fantastic. Of all the things we have done over here that is definitely one of the best. Spent about 2 hours in the sea with the sea lions just swimming around us and jumping over us, amazing:)
Tracie

Nu-Shooz Oct 1st 2008 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 6834946)
We drove out to York for the first time on Monday. It's a pleasant little town about an hour east of Perth.

:eek:God, we went there last year, took us 2 hours to get there and it was all shut. The one and only pub wasn't serving any food, so went to IGA and filled up on shite. Got back in the car and drove home. Not a great day out:rofl:

rockpeblar Oct 1st 2008 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz (Post 6835543)
:eek:God, we went there last year, took us 2 hours to get there and it was all shut. The one and only pub wasn't serving any food, so went to IGA and filled up on shite. Got back in the car and drove home. Not a great day out:rofl:

We went there earlier this year and most places were shut. Won't bother going again, the most exciting part of the journey was driving at 110km/h through all the bends.:cool:
One place which is good for nice walks is Wungong Dam near Armadale. Lots of black cockatoos, wallabies, etc. Great place to exercise a dog. Loads of parking, bbqs and a few toilet blocks and generally we're the only people there!!!

Chelle66 Oct 1st 2008 1:57 pm

The Serpentine National Park is a good one. Take a picnic and stuff for the barbie and some ginger nuts for the 28's. There's dams and waterfalls and all sorts up there. There is also the historical town of Jarrahdale.

Boat show in Mandurah 9-12 Oct

Red Bull Air Race in Perth 1 & 2 Nov

BATS666 Oct 5th 2008 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz (Post 5612528)
Done the prison visit last year, the night one too. Very interesting. I wouldn't go again, unless it was to take visiting family or friends

......and leave them there ???? :rofl:

Perthine Dec 28th 2008 4:54 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 6834475)
I am heading there on Saturday for a week, fantastic place with loads to do.

I have never been to Kalbarri but thinking to go this week as I have holiday. Do you think it is worth to drive that far up just to see Kalbarri, especially now at school holidays?

sme Dec 28th 2008 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Perthine (Post 7103250)
I have never been to Kalbarri but thinking to go this week as I have holiday. Do you think it is worth to drive that far up just to see Kalbarri, especially now at school holidays?

It will be very hot up there but we loved it too and would definetely go again.
Exmouth and Ningaloo Reef is the place to go for a longer trip - well worth it!

rockpeblar Dec 28th 2008 8:28 am

Originally Posted by sme (Post 7103376)
It will be very hot up there but we loved it too and would definetely go again.
Exmouth and Ningaloo Reef is the place to go for a longer trip - well worth it!

Having been to both Kalbarri & Exmouth I think it's definitely worth travelling the extra k's and going to Exmouth/Coral Bay.

Perthine Dec 28th 2008 8:32 am

Originally Posted by rockpeblar (Post 7103523)
Having been to both Kalbarri & Exmouth I think it's definitely worth travelling the extra k's and going to Exmouth/Coral Bay.

Even just for 5 days?

deborahjane Dec 28th 2008 9:28 am

We drove hours to get to York and when we got there there was just one street with a few closed shops on and a terrible pub!

The whole place took about 10 mins to get round.Prefer the York in the UK!

rockpeblar Dec 28th 2008 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Perthine (Post 7103534)
Even just for 5 days?

5 days could be tight with the driving each way - what about Denham/Monkey Mia?

sme Dec 30th 2008 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by rockpeblar (Post 7103523)

I agree with you - alot more k's than kalbarri though - I had it in mind that Kalbarri was 2/3 of the way to Exmouth - was I shocked!!!!!

FWIW I prefered Exmouth to Coral Bay.